Winter Solstice 2012: End of the World?

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Winter Solstice 2012: End of the World?

Post by Cheese on Sun May 03, 2009 5:03 am

There will still be shells of stuff. We just need to rewire it. Unless I misunderstood and all things with electrical circuts in them atomize.

Either way, this falls neatly into my zombie plan.

Ok fine... somebody I met yesterdays zombie plan whos ideas I'm stealing.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun May 03, 2009 6:50 am

I say when Roland Emmerich comes out with the Film 2012 the world will end due to its suckiness

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Sun May 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Vigil wrote:I say when Roland Emmerich comes out with the Film 2012 the world will end due to its suckiness

what he said

and NT, power going out isn't going to turn everything into scraps
power going out is going to cause food to spoil

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun May 03, 2009 5:23 pm

/facepalm again

i think you guys just completely fail at understanding simple things.

like, did i ever say global power grid failing makes everything turn into scraps? no, but in the end, you're basically just working with metal scraps like they did way back when.

and rewiring the world in the midst of global chaos is hardly an easy, or fast, feat.
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Um batteries can be made with any household acid and two conductive materials. and most people who have any knowledge of chemistry know how to make a battery. and wiring.

the same can be said with simple mechanical generators (they do come with instructions you know)

All this would really do is set us back say 50-100 years or so.

Windmills will still work as they did in the middle ages.

We still have tool, some are electric while others arent.

We still have weapons most of witch dont need to be plugged in to work
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice on Sun May 03, 2009 9:21 pm

Without power, all the stuff that we have will still be there, its just that most of it wont be usable. But think about it....how much do each of us rely on power in our daily lives. Now take that away. Sure we will have spoiled food in our freezers but think about what else we rely on....tv, computers, lights, house hold appliances etc. How many of you work at places where electronic things play a big part? In addition to that, our regular lives will be slowed down with no traffic lights, no cash registers, (meaning it will take a bit longer to make change) no movie theaters, certain businesses wont be able to operate (ex. restaurants).

Without power there will be crime, terrorist strikes (taking a wild guess there), communications will be down, (most of it anyways) and our daily lives will change drastically depending on what you do. Its gonna be extremely hard to fix everything with all the above shit going on.
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2135
Registration date : 2008-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Sun May 03, 2009 9:58 pm

and everyone in LA will die when their water service fails

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun May 03, 2009 11:48 pm

dragoon9105 wrote:Um batteries can be made with any household acid and two conductive materials. and most people who have any knowledge of chemistry know how to make a battery. and wiring.

And how are you going to go about getting, not only all the necessary equipment, but also charge these batteries in a timely fashion?

dragoon9105 wrote:the same can be said with simple mechanical generators (they do come with instructions you know)

once again, how much of this will work?

dragoon9105 wrote:Windmills will still work as they did in the middle ages.

Windmills back in the day were all mechanical, nowadays they're all electrical, thus, they won't work. Plus. how many of those are close enough to your current location to make a reasonable difference?

dragoon9105 wrote:We still have tool, some are electric while others arent.

Okay? so hammer and screwdrivers are going to maintain social order?

dragoon9105 wrote:We still have weapons most of witch dont need to be plugged in to work

which are going to be how useful? explain what that truly matters, aside from defending your land from other gun-toting individuals....oh wait...you probably don't even have a gun, nor access to one, so you'll probably be shot.

and to add to what AJ said, most vehicles are pretty much on limited lifeline, since A. a lot have microchips that manage the engine and without which they are dead, and the solar flares could shortwire these. and B. fuel will be limited since the gas pumps are electrically powered.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Mon May 04, 2009 6:38 am

Loosing power = no Internets

No Internets = no reason to go on living!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Razz

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz on Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 am

KristallNacht wrote:
Death no more wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:dude....the 2012 thing has nothing to do with dying. it's meant to be the end of civilization
I still say BS to that, It wont end so quickly not with these advances in technology, hell the only thing that could kill us now is something extraterrestrial(asteroids or other heavenly happenings)

um....you are aware that the moment out technology fails we're back to the stoneage right? we don't have low-tech mediums.

so, if you read the link I posted about a report from NASA, you'd see how in 2012, the worlds entire power grid could be destroyed for upwards of 10 years, effectively destroying civilization.

have you heard of india africa so on and so forth

well these places dont have civilizaqtion that is soley based on technology they will be fine so will we

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2009-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon May 04, 2009 9:55 am

kslidz wrote:
have you heard of india africa so on and so forth

well these places dont have civilizaqtion that is soley based on technology they will be fine so will we

no they don't have a civilization not based on technology. they just have minor social basis without technology.

You'd be surprised how much technology actually does to run our modern world.

And yeah we will be 'fine' in the sense that we might be able to live. But chaos would begin and people would start fending for themselves so they don't die.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon May 04, 2009 3:27 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
you know how to make combines,
Yes.

KristallNacht wrote:cars,
I can repair them. I've got a fairly good idea of how they are all made.
As for production, that's what we have all these mechanics and laid-off workers in Detroit for.

KristallNacht wrote:power grids, ethernet cables, microchips, and all that?
Oh, that IS pretty secret technology. Only every electrical engineer out there knows how to do it.

KristallNacht wrote:hell, most of the things that really matter (and alot of the stuff that doesn't) only a few REALLY know how to do.
Only if we're talking F-16s.

Unless you're a city moron, you probably have a pretty good idea of how a lot of things work. You can learn how to grow food. You can figure out how to repair old cars. You can figure out how to distill ethanol.

KristallNacht wrote:none of which have any direct bearing on law and order (except the AKs, but they are equally for disorder)

I really think you guess are overestimating america's ability to operate in a global blackout
And I think you're enjoying the Apocalypse Mindset.
It ain't going to go all at once.
Computers will still be able to operate in Faraday cages.
The National Guard could set up some sort of communication system, either by rocket or by train.
Older cars will still be able to run if they're diesels. They can even run on old grease.
Westinghouse still has the drafts of their older trains. Non-electric trains.
Hell, the Grant County PUD still has the paper blueprints of everything in the Priest Rapids and Wanapum Dams.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Oh, that IS pretty secret technology. Only every electrical engineer out there knows how to do it.

yes....because electrical engineers are taught how to make lots of things without the use of electricity right?

STFU, srsly. you keep seeming to counter one point in the newest post and ignoring the others already mentioned.

and how the fuck do you know how to make a combine?

and computers won't be able to run in those cages sicne they still won't have any electricity. This isn't an EMP, this is a fucking geomagnetic apocalypse.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Mon May 04, 2009 5:54 pm

How about less name calling and more logical debating (minus the name calling)! Huh! I think that would be fucking awesome!
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Mon May 04, 2009 6:02 pm

x Gauz x wrote:How about less name calling and more logical debating (minus the name calling)! Huh! I think that would be fucking awesome!

I was just thinking that.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Untamed Reign on Mon May 04, 2009 6:35 pm

I can make toast and microwave dinners. I can also repair CD's with toothpaste and water. . . . . will this help me?Razz

Untamed Reign
Minion

Male Number of posts : 889

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Mon May 04, 2009 7:30 pm

KristallNacht wrote:On the Winter Solstice in the year 2012, all civilization will come to an end.

period.
No. Exclamation point.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine on Mon May 04, 2009 7:34 pm

On science: I can make a weak powered battery out of common household objects, and a stronger one with some Car Battery Acid. I'm sure some scientist somewhere could do a whole lot better.

With Crime: Your forgetting that we still have the National Guard, the Police, SWAT Teams, the FBI, and, if things get bad, the military.

With communication: How hard would it be to refit a Jet to not use electronics? Sure, it would be more difficult, but you would have less air traffic, and the Pilots would be much better trained.

On Terrorism: If all power goes out, the Armed Forces will practically go into lock-down. They would be much more rigourous in terrorist areas that they are already positioned in, and it would be much harder for terrorists to even reach the US in the first place.
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:42 pm

TNine wrote:On science: I can make a weak powered battery out of common household objects, and a stronger one with some Car Battery Acid. I'm sure some scientist somewhere could do a whole lot better.

With Crime: Your forgetting that we still have the National Guard, the Police, SWAT Teams, the FBI, and, if things get bad, the military.

With communication: How hard would it be to refit a Jet to not use electronics? Sure, it would be more difficult, but you would have less air traffic, and the Pilots would be much better trained.

On Terrorism: If all power goes out, the Armed Forces will practically go into lock-down. They would be much more rigourous in terrorist areas that they are already positioned in, and it would be much harder for terrorists to even reach the US in the first place.

It is called a missile.And who will we they know what is going on when there is no communication.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon May 04, 2009 8:51 pm

TNine wrote:On science: I can make a weak powered battery out of common household objects, and a stronger one with some Car Battery Acid. I'm sure some scientist somewhere could do a whole lot better.

which is good right? because batteries don't need to be charged or anything....

TNine wrote:With Crime: Your forgetting that we still have the National Guard, the Police, SWAT Teams, the FBI, and, if things get bad, the military.

how will they work when they can't coordinate and communicate?

TNine wrote:With communication: How hard would it be to refit a Jet to not use electronics? Sure, it would be more difficult, but you would have less air traffic, and the Pilots would be much better trained.

you are aware all aircraft nowadays are pretty much all electronic right? its called 'fly-by-wire'

TNine wrote:On Terrorism: If all power goes out, the Armed Forces will practically go into lock-down. They would be much more rigourous in terrorist areas that they are already positioned in, and it would be much harder for terrorists to even reach the US in the first place.

because lockdown works without power......

chances are before any armed force could coordinate itself, the damage would already be done.

whatever. you guys can be unprepared.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Mon May 04, 2009 9:25 pm

You seam to think everyone relies on technology, witch is false

Go back 70 years to communist countries, they didnt need power and computers all they needed was some weak minded invdividuals with some ak-47's.

The worst possible outcome of this is the question what would a solar flare do to our 100+ nuclear missiles.

Belive it or not its not that hard to build eletrical equipment. There are pre-microchip cars out there. Not every mechanic needs electricity to fix something.

Your just underestimating the human race's ability to rebuild. It will take time yes but it wont be an apocalypse. Well unless theres a massive global war for recources but thats not possible is it?... ok maybe it is
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon May 04, 2009 9:48 pm

dragoon9105 wrote:
Belive it or not its not that hard to build eletrical equipment. There are pre-microchip cars out there. Not every mechanic needs electricity to fix something.

and that lasts you so long, since there aren't any manual pump gas stations.

Try to go tomorrow without doing something that is directly affected by the active power grids

guess what? you will fail. guaranteed. Our world (advanced civilization) is nearly Dependant on the power grids to function.

how can you guys not see that killing the power grids cuts out every option you think you have to maintain a similar life to what you have now. It's impossible. and chaos WILL break out.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse on Tue May 05, 2009 1:03 am

I would start in this debate, however I have no idea how this is supposed to happen, there are to many variables to say one thing might, or might not happen.
If it is a flood, the effects would obviously differs to that of a meteor colliding with the Earth.
So I'm not getting involved in this right now.
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am

Ukurse wrote:I would start in this debate, however I have no idea how this is supposed to happen, there are to many variables to say one thing might, or might not happen.
If it is a flood, the effects would obviously differs to that of a meteor colliding with the Earth.
So I'm not getting involved in this right now.

We're specifically discussing geomagnetic apocalypse
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Tue May 05, 2009 10:01 am

KristallNacht wrote:
dragoon9105 wrote:

and that lasts you so long, since there aren't any manual pump gas stations.

Try to go tomorrow without doing something that is directly affected by the active power grids

guess what? you will fail. guaranteed. Our world (advanced civilization) is nearly Dependant on the power grids to function.

how can you guys not see that killing the power grids cuts out every option you think you have to maintain a similar life to what you have now. It's impossible. and chaos WILL break out.

chaos will break out.... but civilization won't end.....

most industry has.... you know.... kept RECORDS of how to build old machines and such.... I'm not even an engineer any more and I know how to build mechanically powered things like a steam engine (had to build one in engineering 101) .....

humans are smart... humans are adaptave.... things will be difficult for a month or two after the power goes out.... but people will get over it and move on.... and try to figure out a way to fix it..... most people don't instantly become criminals who try to bring down humanity the moment the power shuts off.....

unless every human on earth is killed.... or every human except for mentally handicapped people are killed..... civilization will continue.... even if it is to a lesser extent than what we have now.... weve gotten by for thousands of years without electricity.... if we have to do it again... we will
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top