Vigil's Rants.

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Vigil's Rants.

Post by Death no More on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm

ITS DEAD IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:41 pm

Death no more wrote:ITS DEAD IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything is dead in space, for some reason, people contract some disease that kills all their brain cells once they enter space. Stupid fucks couldn't handle a necromorph with RETRACTABLE CHAINSAWS!!
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More on Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:46 am

Gauz wrote:
Death no more wrote:ITS DEAD IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything is dead in space, for some reason, people contract some disease that kills all their brain cells once they enter space. Stupid fucks couldn't handle a necromorph with RETRACTABLE CHAINSAWS!!
Well when you go back through the logs and play extraction you find out that people did survive the initial attacks, and most of them probably didnt have enough time to get mining tools or other weapons. Even if they did get weapons, they wouldn't survive much longer as the logs and other things show. Lexine and her group made it out, so not all of them were stupid, probably just irrationally scared.
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Death no more wrote:
Gauz wrote:
Well when you go back through the logs and play extraction you find out that people did survive the initial attacks, and most of them probably didnt have enough time to get mining tools or other weapons. Even if they did get weapons, they wouldn't survive much longer as the logs and other things show. Lexine and her group made it out, so not all of them were stupid, probably just irrationally scared.
I don't know the full story but, how many necromorphs actually "attacked" them? I'd understand if it was a large number but I don't think it was. If it was just one person or a few, the stupid twats just could've quarantined them, or if you're me, killed them.

But that would make it too simple.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More on Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 am

Gauz wrote:
Death no more wrote:
Gauz wrote:
I don't know the full story but, how many necromorphs actually "attacked" them? I'd understand if it was a large number but I don't think it was. If it was just one person or a few, the stupid twats just could've quarantined them, or if you're me, killed them.

But that would make it too simple.
Originally three scientists that were examining the marker and found the infection contained in it. When exposed to the infection it killed them and took over their bodies and made them necromorphs. Those necromorphs didn't attack immediately, they waited and when the planet crack happened, the power went out. The necromorphs went to the morgue, and infected the hundred or so bodies there from the murders/ mass suicides. In the chaos that ensued, everyone went to the shuttles, the first one to take off was way over max capacity and it couldn't break orbit. The Co-pilot tried to take over and sent the shuttle crashing into the docks, killing hundreds and destroying all the shuttles. They didn't have a chance, not with the fact they didn't know the necromorphs were even there (Besides for a few suspicions), and the mass of bodies in the morgue. They really never had a chance.
They did have a quarantine on the Ishimura but it only lasted for a few hours before it was broken.
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:19 am

Get this Dead Space shit into it's own thread. This is for Vigil's Rants and comments on his rants.
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:45 am

Aren't you supposed to be in school, Gold?

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Kasrkin Seath wrote:Aren't you supposed to be in school, Gold?
The times are messed up. I posted that this morning. At 8.
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

View user profile http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Well, if we are in the same timezone, you were clearly on during school, since I was too and saw that get posted

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:53 pm

Gold lives in the hills of Kentucky. He's obviously homeschooled.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:13 am

Vigilís Rants

Part X: Spiderman, Spiderman, doesnít do what Sony can.

Some of you may or may not know, but Spiderman 4 has been cancelled. In a wonderfully dickish move to start the new decade, Sony, who have been fighting director Sam Raimi over his decisions over the villains have not only decided to axe the movie and him as director, they are scrapping the entire franchise, and rebooting it with a new origin, with Peter still in high school. Movie Bob has written an article about this, and Iím going to add my two cents to it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7014-Spider-Man-No-More

The Spiderman movies were a godsend. People seem to forget that after the movie abomination that was Batman and Robin, superhero movies quickly died out and it took Spiderman to finally bring them back, being a commercial and fan pleasing success. Raimi really understood the character and told the classic origin story and kept true to the classic 60ís comics while still being up to date and exciting. I really enjoyed the film and without it we wouldnít have seen all these superhero movies we see each year.

Spiderman 2 however broke my expectations and greatly improved on the original, and in my opinion is still one of the best superhero movies ever made. It showed Peter coming to grips with his powers and his responsibility to use them, even if the going got tough, he nearly lost Mary Jane and his normal life was a mess. Doc Ock was of Spidermanís villains I was hoping to see, as heís a great villain and he Alfred Melina played him perfectly. Itís a film that I can always sit down and watch and enjoy, as it has dark elements and sad parts but itís full of excitement and action and resolves well. Again the film was a huge commercial success and received well by the fans.

Then we reach Spiderman 3. While many people hate it, and I do agree it was the worst of the series, it still not that bad. It was still a commercial success, even with the negative feedback from critics and fans. I was worried walking into the film that 3 villains were too damn much. Raimi had shown that he was very good at personifying and detailing a single villain, showing their weakness and showing the eventual fall to crime. I just didnít think he could do it for three villains and I was right. There were a lot of silly elements there, like the inclusion of Gwen Stacey (Seriously, did she add anything to the movie? Peter wasnít that attracted to her until he got the symbiote) Venom, who was shoehorned in at the very end and to be honest was not that enthralling (But in Raimiís defence, he has gone on record many times saying he never really liked Venom as a character and didnít want to put him in the movie, but was forced too by Sony Pictures.) To be honest I wouldnít have put Venom in, focused on Sandman, and have the New Goblin as a subplot, which would carry on to the next movie. Even though I didnít like it, it was still a lot better than some of the other superhero movies they have thrown out around that time and since (Like Daredevil, Hulk, Electra, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Blade Trinity and X-3: The Last Stand.)

And so they have killed off that storyline and are going to replace it with a teenage Peter Parker, dealing with his powers in, while dealing with the trails and hardship o high school (Gee, sort of like another Twilight rip off. FUCKING INGENIUS.) And yes, there are rumours Robert Patterson is being picked to play Peter Parker in the reboot (Way to kill your franchise Sony. Seriously did you LEARN NOTHING FROM THE LAST FILM!!?)

Heís what I would have done. I would have made Spiderman 4. Spiderman 3 ended with a lot of loose ends and I know perfectly how you could have resolved them. I would have started it with Peter and MJ getting married, and over the course of the film Peter has to juggle his responsibilities as a superhero, with his responsibilities as a husband as well. Half way through the film we learn that MJ is pregnant and during this time Peter is fighting the hardest battles of his life as goons with high tech equipment terrorise the city. Peter wonders if he can keep doing this, as not only does he need to protect the city, he also needs to be there for his child, as his parents were never there for him. The person giving all these high tech weapons to criminals turns out to be Norman Osborn, who managed to survive and is planning revenge on Peter, subtly hiding in the background, making his normal and superhero lives a misery. This would be a nice reflection as Peter would think about the recent loss of Harry and how his father never loved him, and Peter had been more of a son to Norman. After the conflict is resolved and Norman is dead once More Peter can finally accept his role as a hero and as a parent.

Now sure thatís not the greatest story ever told, but itís a good premise and itís going to be better than the teenage, Smallville, twilightesque bullshit that Sony is going to pipe out in two years time. Thanks Sony youíve just killed Spiderman for me, any other of my childhood icons you want to bastardise will youíre at it.

SERIOUSLY FUCK YOU SONY PICTURES.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:56 am

Good rant, and sony sucks dick
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:02 am

Death no more wrote:Good rant, and sony sucks dick
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Over Spider-Man 4?

After the clusterscrewup that was Spider-Man 3, I figured that this was probably for the best. To be honest, I'd like to side with Sony Pictures over Spider-Man 3: Venom was a far more interesting character than the New Green Goblin turned out to be. And then Raimi wanted to bring the Vulture in as a villain in #4. The VULTURE.

Good Vulture:

Bad Vulture:

VERY BAD VULTURE!

IDK, maybe a reboot is necessary, maybe it isn't. Spider-Man has always been on that fence, where it's good enough to watch, bad enough that I keep walking away from it thinking "Man, I could have done better".

However, while I think that Vigil's idea would be much better than what Raimi or Sony can come up with, I'm unsure as to whether the Green Goblin would be a good antagonist. I loved the ambiguity at the end of the original. Was Norman wasting his dying breath, hoping not to disappoint his son (the only thing he had at the end)? Was it a last-minute Xanatos Roulette, a gamble at turning his son into a weapon?

Although, I have to admit, Norman probably did survive. He did in the comics, and his appearance to his son (Who was not yet gassed and green) was just a little bit out there.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Venom has a decent backstory, but the problem is you'd have to go over a lot of other lore to get there, like the alien symbiote and I would have focused on the slow change in Peter's mind as he is affected by the symbiote.

If you need Venom in the film he needs to be the solo villian, as there's too much to cover if he's on the side lines.

I think after 1+2 which were both good films, I would have given Raimi another film before this drastic action. Yes I know the Vulture seems like a bad idea of a villian, and sure I have read the comics where he first appeared and it's pretty stupid, but I think Raimi could have pulled it off.

During the Clone saga, Norman Osborn was sitting in the background manipulating everything, and he has done quite a few times over the course of the comics. Even now in the comics out today Norman Osborn is a master manipulator (He's currently the leader of the new SHIELD, and has recreated the Avengers as criminals and supervillains pretending to be heroes to further his plans)

I think my idea would be a good one, as Norman probably survived and I wouldn't put him past him to be have been fucking with Harry during Spiderman 2, and made sure he discovered and became the weapon he wanted.

But sadly we'll never know.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan15 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:13 pm

Vigil wrote:Vigilís Rants

Part X: Spiderman, Spiderman, doesnít do what Sony can.

Some of you may or may not know, but Spiderman 4 has been cancelled. In a wonderfully dickish move to start the new decade, Sony, who have been fighting director Sam Raimi over his decisions over the villains have not only decided to axe the movie and him as director, they are scrapping the entire franchise, and rebooting it with a new origin, with Peter still in high school. Movie Bob has written an article about this, and Iím going to add my two cents to it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7014-Spider-Man-No-More

The Spiderman movies were a godsend. People seem to forget that after the movie abomination that was Batman and Robin, superhero movies quickly died out and it took Spiderman to finally bring them back, being a commercial and fan pleasing success. Raimi really understood the character and told the classic origin story and kept true to the classic 60ís comics while still being up to date and exciting. I really enjoyed the film and without it we wouldnít have seen all these superhero movies we see each year.

Spiderman 2 however broke my expectations and greatly improved on the original, and in my opinion is still one of the best superhero movies ever made. It showed Peter coming to grips with his powers and his responsibility to use them, even if the going got tough, he nearly lost Mary Jane and his normal life was a mess. Doc Ock was of Spidermanís villains I was hoping to see, as heís a great villain and he Alfred Melina played him perfectly. Itís a film that I can always sit down and watch and enjoy, as it has dark elements and sad parts but itís full of excitement and action and resolves well. Again the film was a huge commercial success and received well by the fans.

Then we reach Spiderman 3. While many people hate it, and I do agree it was the worst of the series, it still not that bad. It was still a commercial success, even with the negative feedback from critics and fans. I was worried walking into the film that 3 villains were too damn much. Raimi had shown that he was very good at personifying and detailing a single villain, showing their weakness and showing the eventual fall to crime. I just didnít think he could do it for three villains and I was right. There were a lot of silly elements there, like the inclusion of Gwen Stacey (Seriously, did she add anything to the movie? Peter wasnít that attracted to her until he got the symbiote) Venom, who was shoehorned in at the very end and to be honest was not that enthralling (But in Raimiís defence, he has gone on record many times saying he never really liked Venom as a character and didnít want to put him in the movie, but was forced too by Sony Pictures.) To be honest I wouldnít have put Venom in, focused on Sandman, and have the New Goblin as a subplot, which would carry on to the next movie. Even though I didnít like it, it was still a lot better than some of the other superhero movies they have thrown out around that time and since (Like Daredevil, Hulk, Electra, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Blade Trinity and X-3: The Last Stand.)

And so they have killed off that storyline and are going to replace it with a teenage Peter Parker, dealing with his powers in, while dealing with the trails and hardship o high school (Gee, sort of like another Twilight rip off. FUCKING INGENIUS.) And yes, there are rumours Robert Patterson is being picked to play Peter Parker in the reboot (Way to kill your franchise Sony. Seriously did you LEARN NOTHING FROM THE LAST FILM!!?)

Heís what I would have done. I would have made Spiderman 4. Spiderman 3 ended with a lot of loose ends and I know perfectly how you could have resolved them. I would have started it with Peter and MJ getting married, and over the course of the film Peter has to juggle his responsibilities as a superhero, with his responsibilities as a husband as well. Half way through the film we learn that MJ is pregnant and during this time Peter is fighting the hardest battles of his life as goons with high tech equipment terrorise the city. Peter wonders if he can keep doing this, as not only does he need to protect the city, he also needs to be there for his child, as his parents were never there for him. The person giving all these high tech weapons to criminals turns out to be Norman Osborn, who managed to survive and is planning revenge on Peter, subtly hiding in the background, making his normal and superhero lives a misery. This would be a nice reflection as Peter would think about the recent loss of Harry and how his father never loved him, and Peter had been more of a son to Norman. After the conflict is resolved and Norman is dead once More Peter can finally accept his role as a hero and as a parent.

Now sure thatís not the greatest story ever told, but itís a good premise and itís going to be better than the teenage, Smallville, twilightesque bullshit that Sony is going to pipe out in two years time. Thanks Sony youíve just killed Spiderman for me, any other of my childhood icons you want to bastardise will youíre at it.

SERIOUSLY FUCK YOU SONY PICTURES.

Didn't even know they was planning to make a Spiderman 4. I have to admit that Spiderman 1 and 2 weren't a bad watch but haven't seen the 3rd one yet. Anyone like to inform me on what the 3rd one was like?
Spartan15
Minion

Male Number of posts : 134

View user profile http://www.halowars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:06 pm

3 baddies versus bad spidey.

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:13 pm

So would Spiderman's children have spider powers.
That would just be fucking gay.
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Ok... Here it goes.
Spidermangetsinfestedbyanaliensymbiotethatcrasheddowninsideameteor100metersfromwherehe'smakingoutwithM.J.whileHarryOsborngasseshimselfandbecomestheSuckGoblinandgetsconvenientlyselectiveamnesiaaftercrashingintoabrickwallandalliswellexceptthatPeterisinfectedwiththealiensymbiotewhichforceshimtoactlikeajerkanddresslikealesbianbikeranddancelikeawhiteemoMichealJacksonsplittingupwithM.J.intheworstplotturnconcievedinallofSamRaimi'scareerexceptforthefactthatUncleBenwasn'tkilledbythatcriminalscumbaginthefirstmovie,butbyaguywhoescapesfromjailvisitshisdyingdaughterandrunsintoaweirdnucleartestthatmakesnosensewhatsoeverturninghimintotheSandmanbecausenobodyfromOSHAwaspresentandthenPetergoesonarampageandthinkshedestroystheSandmanbutthengetsridofthesymbioteandthetwoteamupwithaphotographerPeterdisgracedandthenafinalbattlethatshouldhavebeenawesomewasfilledwithNarm,andtheaudienceleftdisappointed.

Quote for full view.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:55 am

Ukurse wrote:So would Spiderman's children have spider powers.
That would just be fucking gay.

I guess you never read the Spider-Girl comic. (Which are based in a parallel universe where Peter's child survives a major comic event which killed her in the mainline universe.)

I picked up a comic a long time ago and it was actually not that bad, Mayday Parker was similar to her father yet different, being more headstrong and arrogant than peter was and Peter as her trainer and main support, you could see how worried he was for her, giving all the experience he had in the role.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm

New Rant. Razz

Vigilís Rants

Part XI: Army of Fail,

Oh dear, once again Iím back bitching about a game I played recently. I thought it would be this soon after Wet, but I took a raid on the bargain bin and paid the price. The game in question this time is Army of Two: The 40th day.

Now I liked the original, it wasnít the greatest game ever made. The plot was pretty B-movie stuff, something youíd see Steven Seagal or Jean Van Damme would be playing, the shooting mechanics were a bit clunky and switching weapons was a chore. It was also pretty easy to beat on the hardest difficulty due to the AI being able to revive you when you went down, and the AI in the game wasnít stellar. Multiplayer was a laggy piece of shit that never worked, as well as being region locked, so yeah it had a lot of problems. I liked it because of the running B-movie feel, as it felt like a silly buddy movie that you could just turn your brain off and play through, especially with a buddy.

So I didnít have very high expectations walking in, but I hoped for a slight improvement from the last one and some more mind numbing fun. It failed in that department. How? Letís go through the game and explain why.

The game follows Salem and Rios, the two protagonists from the last game, former Army Rangers/ SSC Mercenaries, now Freelance are in Shanghai to met a contact for a quick job and then leave. As you expect things quickly go tits up and they get stuck in the chaos as a mercenary army tries to take over the city (I think, their motives arenít very well explained.) and blow shit up. It plays very much like a Michael Bay film as buildings blow up, choppers blow up, choppers blow up and smash into buildings (they really hate aircraft in this game, they blow one up every five minutes.) The game plays very similarly to the first one with less clunky shooting and inefficient menus. So far, so good then things quickly go downhill.

Not long you see some of the new gimmicks get old. As youíd expect there are a lot of civilians who get caught up and need help, and like many games of late, you have can chose to do the moral thing and save them, or just leave them to their fate. You go through these things in either one of two ways: you either grab the officer in charge and make him make the other soldiers drop their weapons, our you fake surrender and then quickly pull out your pistols and get them by surprise them. It happens way too often and it quickly gets old.

Another thing on the morality system is that occasionally you have to make a choice during a cutscene. Either you do the moral thing and be nice and virtuous or you be a dick and screw and kill someone. Then after you made your choice you get a vision of the future to see how your actions had an effect. The main problem is these visions are horrible. For example, the first one is whether you kill your contact and not. If you kill him, you get a few seconds of his body and a MIA screen. If you spare him, he leaves, goes to beachÖand gets shot and dies. Then you have the option to take some weapons and a security tries to stop you. You can put the weapons back, and he sells them to the mercs, or you kill him and take them, and see he had a family. I could go on, but there all like that. I played through doing the good thing constantly, only for the future vision to show the person I saved was an asshole and didnít even more harm. The evil option basically just gets rid of the middleman and you do the harm. You may call the grim nature of these visions Ďrealisticí but honestly, when I do a virtuous act, I think my act should have a nice effect, and my actions whether good or ill, they have a different effect. To me it felt like my actions didnít change or affect these peopleís lives in any way, so why should I even bother to do them, besides for achievement points? Sure KOTOR II didnít always, as sometimes your kind acts did more harm than good, but at least you felt like you made a difference in there lives, which is why this tacked on Morality bullshit is a waste of time.

The worst part on the morality system comes at the ending. The general of the merc army has a detonator to a nuke he magically has. He talks a lot of bullshit about honour and sacrifice then says that you have to kill your partner or he will detonate the bomb. So if you do the moral thing and sacrifice your partner to save the city, he then disarms the nuke (by pressing ONE BUTTON ON HIS LAPTOP) and you shoot him, and go all emo about killing your partner. Or you can do the evil thing and shoot him straight away AND THE NUKE DOESNíT GO OFF. WHAT IN THE NAME OF HADES BURNING SKULL IS UP WITH THAT? YOU PENALISE ME FOR DOING THE GOOD THING? THANKS EA FOR THE MASSIVE FUCK YOU TO YOUR AUDIENCE, I REALLY APPREICATE IT.

On the multiplayer front, the lag goes from tolerable to game crashing, and it makes playing the game online rather difficult, though the main problem is numbers. Online when I played it were 74 people. 74. And this from a game that came out late last year. Though the worst part is one of the worst multiplayer design decisions I have ever seen, once you enter the multiplayer screen, you canít leave without being penalised. You try to leave mid game, the game sends you a warning saying youíre stats and progression will be effected. You try to leave in the lobby it penalises you. You make your own lobby, and try fixing it, it penalises you. I have no idea how anybody ever progressed in that game, unless they never turned their 360 off.

To conclude this little rant in a game that had so much potential, they wasted it with moronic design decisions and having a pointless morality system with a massive fuck you to the player. A waste of a licence that could have been so much better.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:52 am

Yes I'm bringing this back, and this time completely in promtu, so enjoy the copious amount of errors.

Round XII: Are games only as good as we remember playing them?

Not long a go Yahtzee Croshaw of Zero Punctuation fame brought up the point that the games we played and the impression they left might be due to the fact we played them so much at the time, which made me ponder this as I thought about my back catalogue, and whether is statement is true.

As we all know, games have changed a lot in the 15 odd years I've played them, with games being churned out at faster rates and having a lot more disposable income to spend. But if we go back to the beginning, I have to admit there were some games I played to death which may have completely turned my judgement about them. For, example, I readily defend KOTOR II, as a game that despite is flaws, is still a good game and at least on Par with KOTOR I. Now would I have come to the same conclusion if I hadn't played through it again and again and again? There was a lot of subtley and divergent paths and dialog options that I didn't find until my 5th and 6th playthroughs. Hell on my first playthrough I didn't even know you could make your companions jedi, but now I can confidently get them all to that status.

Halo 2 was another good example of this, as at the time I had no xbox live and the next game was a long way coming, so I played the campaign constantly, to the point I knew all the dialogue and layout by instinct, as at the time I had no other games I really had any desire to play or buy, so is my opinion more favourable as I played it so much to someone who played through it once or twice? Possibly, but I do think this is a testament of how good the game was to me, that I could sit through multiple playthroughs and sit enjoy the experience, and this isn't always the case.

To date, I have only played through Half-Life 2 and the Episodes and Portal once. You may think with the chain of logic I've been talking about was because I didn't like them. Obviously this isn't the case, because I champion these games as well, mainly because by the time I got to them (2008 or 09 I believe) once I got through them, they left a lasting impression and they came at a time where I was growing very tired of the modern FPS, and came as a breath of fresh air to me.

Another interesting thing to note is the difference between how much I played Mass Effect 1 and 2. In the first game, I must have played through it start to finish around 30 times, due to a mixture of broken achievement hunting and exploring all the different options to the story. I do admit that there are elements of that game are tedious, and I'd be lying if I enojyed every playthrough, as a lot of the side mako stuff was so dull it made me want to fall asleep, but the strength of the narrative and the characters made the game memorable and one I truely loved.

By Contrast, I have only played through Mass Effect 2 three times. Again due to the fact the achievements were wrapped up by the time the third playthrough was done, and the game is a lot more streamlined, so a lot of those long spread out options were gone, but I still love both games.

Does this show that as time has progressed, it's easier to have a lasting impression if a game is good without multiple playthroughs? In a day and age where I can blow through a game in a couple of days then play another one to completion, I think I notice quality a lot easier than I did 5 or 10 years ago, and if I find it a solid experience I will champion it as such. We all must have gone through so many games, of all different genres and styles now so our tastes are probably a lot more refined and honed after years of playing games, so we can pick a good game from a bad a lot earlier than we used to, so additonal playthroughs aren't required as much to judge it.

So what do you guys think? Do you feel a game from the past you played to death may have tainted your view? Or do you think your tastes and senses about a games quality has improved as you have gotten more experience?

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JumpingJet on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 am

I love your rants Vigil Smile
JumpingJet
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2009-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:13 am

This is back again!

Very thought provoking, but an in-depth reply will have to wait until my chores are over.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am

Tainted your view in what way? How good it actually is? How good is it actually aside from your own opinion of it? People's preferences change all the time, that's not to say the latest tastes are the most correct ones.

Taint makes it sound like having any pretense at all to something is always bad, when in truth it's only as bad as their pretense itself and not the concept of having prior hand familiarity with something. When pretense becomes prejudice. Is having high expectations a bad thing? If Mass Effect 1 got high ratings, should ME2 be reviewed under harsher circumstances? I should hope so, if were not moving forward, or at least sideways, what direction are we moving in?

I do think that ones preconceptions can inflate or deflate their opinion of later releases (or anything else for that matter), positively and negatively. Like, I liked ME1 a lot, and I played through it probably 6 or 7 times by now, but I don't think it unrealistically elevated my qualifiers for ME2 because I think ME2 was overrated. It got too many perfect scores and game of the year awards in my opinion due in part to how many people loved Mass Effect 1. I really do think that because there were so many story bridges between the two installments, the game was given a higher then deserved rating. Like people would prefer the novelty of seeing what happened to Conrad Verner over the implausibility of meeting this one man in a universe of tens of thousands of inhabited worlds, some with thousands of bars and nightclubs that he could happen to be in. In fact, Conrad could be anywhere or DEAD, and you happening to meet him, it's just so unlikely that it takes away from the realism of the story, but at the same time adds to the back story of what's going on. The developers choose to think of it as a balance that they need to strike.

And I have a BIG BIG, Halo Reach sized problem with that, it's NOT a balance they need to strike, it almost never is! They can add plenty of good backstory without having to shoehorn in some character in a really unlikely scenario, or canonical breach. Mass Effect and Halo are future universes, like, if you happen to bump into someone in New York, your probably ten times less likely to bump into the same person on the Citadel, and yet, Harkin, Garrus, Fist, Conrad Verner and Morlan (among others) all played some part in Mass Effect 2 for some reason, when they could have introduced new characters with their own story. For someone that hadn't played Mass Effect 1, these characters would just be new aside from awkwardly speaking as though they knew Sheperd before. So, for most I'm sure, these characters were a positive addition to the game, but for me, it was nice to see them and all, but it made no sense, so it was a negative addition. Too much stuff in ME2 was borrowed from ME1, which is why I think it was overrated when it got like, a near perfect score.

...Even though I really like Mass Effect 2 and played through it 6 times already.

See, if the point was to add back story, then why not do so in a realistic manner? This in my opinion was one of the major shortcomings of Reach, sure they wanted to add backstory to the Halo universe, and I applaud them for it, but going about it in a less then practical and unrealistic manner, unnecessarily breaching canon for the sake of nothing, is just, bad. Realism and continuity and gameplay are not at the expense of story, and the way they made these games is NOT the ONLY way it could have been done.

"brought up the point that the games we played and the impression they left might be due to the fact we played them so much at the time,"

I think the reason you play a game over and over again is because you think, or thought it was really good, and not the other way around.

Games do set precedents and if the later installments don't top the previous ones, or are at least just as good, then it's inherently disappointing and unnecessary. Although they do explore the story more or game play options, if it ends up not being as good or better in enough ways, then it ultimately saps the universe like Episode 1 did to the Star Wars universe (although, less pronounced). Do I feel entitled for something better or fresh after a while? Well, yes, yes I do, otherwise they are just milking the franchise for the sake of nostalgia familiarity. The Halo and Mass Effect universes are just too rich and awesome for that kind of sleazy marketing, I hope you can agree.
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top