The Colony

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which of the ten survivors do you feel is the most valuable member to the Colony?

9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
55% 55% 
[ 6 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
9% 9% 
[ 1 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

The Colony

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:34 am

Alright, now, before you vote, I want you to watch the Colony. It's a short TV film that takes ten volunteers and places them in a post apocalyptic environment and is like "hf gl dd!" If nothing else, I found the series to be very intriguing and educational about basic survival after the apocalypse.

Episode One: Arrival and Survival
Episode Two: Power Struggle
Episode Three: Comfort in Chaos
Episode Four: Safety and Security

(the other two episodes have not yet aired, so I am allowing for canceling votes)

Now then, the question is simple: of the ten survivors, which do you believe is the most helpful?

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Colony

Post by Angatar on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:48 am

I thought it was cool from the commercials, then I saw solar panels and stuff, and that just threw me off.

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:48 am

Sounds awesome. I'll deffinately watch this when I have time and get back to you.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thane321 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:50 am

Cheese wrote:Sounds awesome. I'll deffinately watch this when I have time and get back to you.
thane321
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1142
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:24 am

obviously John Cohn

although Mike is pretty useful too

you must really be enjoying the show if you made a topic about it XD

the show is on Discovery, Tuesdays at 10...
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 am

I've seen two of the episodes. It's actually pretty good... though I have no idea how they managed to get such a huge area to do the experiment in.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 am

I think mike isn't as valuable only because he is to temperamental.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:38 pm

Who was the 40 year old guy who was a contractor or something?
Was that Mike? Cuz he's my favorite.
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Ya, Mike is the old guy who worked as a contractor. Anyway, here are my opinions on the cast.

Vladimir Beck: Vlad is somewhat quiet, and a bit distant, but proves to be a useful member of the team. Besides helping with the wood gassifier, Vlad is a cook and also milks the goat. He also helps build weapons to defend the colony, and is a decent shot with his bow and arrow.

John Cohn: It is ironic, but while John's field background is among the most useless - Computer Engineering isn't very helpful when there are no computers around - John has proven to be one of the most useful members of the colony. His knowledge of water filtration and wood gassification have proven absolutely vital to keeping the colony going. He has further served as a sort of peacekeeper between the others, not to mention he makes some very nasty nonlethal weapons.

George Fallieras: As the doctor, George doesn't have too much work to do concerning his field. However, he is knowledgeable about nutritional health, which proves useful. More importantly, George has a good eye and leads to the gathering of over 150 oranges and other citrus fruit. George is also generally helpful during group projects, and serves as the speaker during the morning meetings.

Morgan Hooker: Morgan hasn't be particularly useful, though she did help with the wood gassifier. She has been somewhat in conflict with Mike, but has gotten over any differences the two might have had.

Michael Raines: Mike is the unofficial leader of the colony. He is one of the only people with the self discipline required to maintain a colony in this environment. He doesn't mess around when it comes to getting stuff done. While he has no formal education, he is very knolwedgeable in the fields of fabrication and mechanical engineering. He can be a bit harsh, but he usually has a reason to be so.

Joey Sciacca: While initially somewhat unhelpful, Joey really took charge later on. His time in prison has given him a good idea of what secure really is, and he is very determined to get things done. Further, Joey's life as a contractor has given him the necessary skills to build things out of wood and other materials. Like Mike, Joey can be rough, but he usually does not do so without a reason.

Leilani Smith: As a personal defense trainer, one would think Leilani would prove to be a very useful member of the colony. Quite the opposite is true. Leilani's tenure as a personal defense trainer and her experience with battered women has turned her into a rampent feminist, taking offense to anything and everything that Mike says, whether or not she has to bend his words and purposely ignore his intent to do it. Despite the fact that Mike and the other men have done easier thrice the amount of work that she and the other girls have, she is constantly getting upset about being asked to do things or being "demeaned" because she is not performing up to par. If the colony were to throw any one member out, most would probably vote out Leilani. Her temper is far worse than Mike's, and she won't let anything go, but worse still, unlike Mike, she doesn't do any real work, except during foraging.

John Valencia: John does a lot in the background. He isn't one of the more vocal members, but he gets things done. He tends to side with Mike, and usually works with him, since the two have similar background fields.

Amy West: Like John C, Amy comes from a background field that is seemingly useless: Marine Biology. However, she is certified in CPR and served in the Peace Corps, and she did help make a fish trap that caught them one carp. Amy is generally determined, though she often isn't knowledgeable enough in the physical labor fields to do things exactly right.

Allison White: Allison has spent most of the time being rather useless. Besides washing clothes and heating beans, Allison has spent most of her time cutting up fabric to make interesting clothes for herself. That's pretty much it. However, on the bright side, Allison rarely comes into conflict with others. She isn't pushy, and she does try to help out.

Last edited by Rotaretilbo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Okay then, voted.

I watched Episode 2 last week, and I do love the show.
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:02 pm

John Cohn is the most useful in my opinion.

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm watching it now. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me...

Michael was on patrol, and he actually worries about somebody breaking in and hurting them? He's actually concerned for his life? Have they all forgotten that they're on a reality show?

EDIT: Okay seriously, is this a reality show or a reality-style show with actors? They're all flipping out about the new group of people? Why? THEY ARE ON A TELEVISION SHOW.

"Marauders have instructions not to harm the colonists physically, but, the volunteers don't know that."

ummm... Bullshit.
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:38 pm

its not a television show

its a social experiment... as far as they know they signed up for anything short of death to happen to them legally...

it may be being filmed for TV.... but it isn't a "reality show"... there are no winners... there are no losers... they are in an experiment to see if it is possible for a diverse group of individuals to survive for 10 weeks alone.
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:46 pm

Ya, the volunteers basically signed a contract saying "I will not hold anyone responsible if anything bad happens to me, and I understand that I will be subjected to real dangers, yadayadayada."

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:48 pm

I watched the first ep, thought it was pretty cool
gonna do the second later

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:19 pm

John C was almost hit in the head by something when the marauders broke in.
And who is it that voted For Amy West?

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:17 pm

KrAzY wrote:
its a social experiment... as far as they know they signed up for anything short of death to happen to them legally...

Ok but... don't they at least know that the people involved ALSO signed up for this experiment? I guess people who know they are part of an experiment can get pretty crazy anyways... like that one university that did the whole prison experiment where the guys that were in charge of things eventually started to sexually abuse the captive "prisoners."
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:14 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
KrAzY wrote:

Ok but... don't they at least know that the people involved ALSO signed up for this experiment? I guess people who know they are part of an experiment can get pretty crazy anyways... like that one university that did the whole prison experiment where the guys that were in charge of things eventually started to sexually abuse the captive "prisoners."
The Stanford Prison Experiment!

=D

Psychology Professor Zimbardo and his team set out to test the idea that the inherent personality traits of prisoners and guards were summarily key to understanding abusive prison situations. Participants were recruited and told they would participate in a two-week "prison simulation." Of the 70 respondents, Zimbardo and his team selected the 24 males whom they deemed to be the most psychologically stable and healthy. These participants were predominantly white and middle-class.

The "prison" itself was in the basement of Stanford's Jordan Hall, which had been converted into a mock jail. An undergraduate research assistant was the "warden" and Zimbardo the "superintendent". Zimbardo set up a number of specific conditions on the participants which he hoped would promote disorientation, depersonalisation and deindividualisation.

In The Stanford Prison Study video, quoted in Haslam & Reicher, 2003, Zimbardo is seen telling the guards, "You can create in the prisoners feelings of boredom, a sense of fear to some degree, you can create a notion of arbitrariness that their life is totally controlled by us, by the system, you, me, and they'll have no privacy… We're going to take away their individuality in various ways. In general what all this leads to is a sense of powerlessness. That is, in this situation we'll have all the power and they'll have none."

After a relatively uneventful first day, a riot broke out on the second day. The guards volunteered to work extra hours and worked together to break the prisoner revolt, attacking the prisoners with fire extinguishers without supervision from the research staff.

A false rumor spread that one of the prisoners, who asked to leave the experiment, would lead companions to free the rest of the prisoners. The guards dismantled the prison and moved the inmates to another secure location. When no breakout attempt occurred, the guards were angry about having to rebuild the prison, so they took it out on the prisoners.

Several guards became increasingly cruel as the experiment continued. Experimenters said that approximately one-third of the guards exhibited genuine sadistic tendencies. Most of the guards were upset when the experiment concluded early.

Zimbardo concluded the experiment early when Christina Maslach, a graduate student he was then dating (and later married), objected to the appalling conditions of the prison after she was introduced to the experiment to conduct interviews. Zimbardo noted that of more than fifty outside persons who had seen the prison, Maslach was the only one who questioned its morality. After only six days of a planned two weeks' duration, the Stanford Prison experiment was shut down.

All from Wikipedia. Most fascinating, a good read after looking up the "Stanley Milgram Shock Experiments".
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:56 am

ReconToaster wrote:
KrAzY wrote:

What!? No they didn't!

From what I remember of it it was mostly psychological (and fire extinguishers Razz).

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:14 am

eh. One of the guys behind the experiment mentioned it on some interview on the Colbert Report. He said something about them showing early signs of sexual abuse or something. I guess they didn't give it time to develop.
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 am

ReconToaster wrote:eh. One of the guys behind the experiment mentioned it on some interview on the Colbert Report. He said something about them showing early signs of sexual abuse or something. I guess they didn't give it time to develop.

Oh yeah I could definitely see that happening.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:33 pm

Actually, as punishment, one of the prisoners WAS forced to take part in 'simulated' homosexual sex.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm

I really don't remember reading about that. Then again maybe Zimbardo didn't want to write about it. It was his report (as well as a few others in less detail) I read.

Dude I'd be more worried about the colonists hurting the marauders :/

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Ya. In the commercial for the next one, the self defense instructor wicked one in the side of the head.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 pm

It was actually Vlad who almost got hit in the head by that big chuck of wood. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top