Why are you religious/not religious?

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:16 pm

Donald Morgan wrote:IMPORTANT: Please keep in mind that by "inconsistencies" I do not necessarily mean "contradictions." Even though accepted and common definitions of the two terms often make them synonymous, I make a subtle distinction which is reflected in at least some of the accepted definitions. What I have in mind is that an inconsistency involves a lack of harmonious uniformity, regularity, steady continuity, or agreement among the verses cited. Thus, whereas a contradiction is necessarily an inconsistency, an inconsistency is not necessarily a contradiction. But certainly some of the listed biblical inconsistencies could be taken as biblical contradictions.

The guy who made it himself goes out of his way to make sure that people don't try to pass these off as contradictions, but rather inconsistencies. Things that might possibly be a contradiction if interpreted a specific way. They aren't plot holes until you're looking for plot holes.

_________________
avatar
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 27
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Carcarius on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:26 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:
Carcarius wrote:I stopped being religious when I saw all the plot holes in the bible
This, my friends, is a fine example of a true intellectual. One of any intelligence would not bother to stick around and partake in the silly practice known as "debate" Instead they would know that the best way to win any argument is to state your opinion in a straightforward, one sentence statement and leave, without providing any elaboration or evidence to back your claim. The sheer lack of specifics in your post may very well baffle your foes, leaving the fools at an utter loss of words, so that you may call it a win for the day.

I quite like this fellow, for he is truly demonstrating the capabilities of a strong, young masculine mind.


Moving on. Now that the thread has been revived, is there anyone willing to continue/restart the argument?
Sorry, let me explain. After finding out that Santa Clause didn't exist i used that same logic for this God character. Is it possible for one being, one all mighty creature to listen and monitor 6 billion + people at once? Also if we were created in the image of god, why do we have so many imperfections. Plus the whole debacle of evolution, dinosaurs, Jesus, Noahs Ark, existence of Evil, just make god another fictional superbeing that people associate with to give purpose to their meaningless life.
avatar
Carcarius
Minion

Male Number of posts : 230
Age : 23
Location : Georgia
Registration date : 2009-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TNine on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Progressive Relevation: As humanity progressed out of the pre-historic times, we got closer to civilization we understand God better. Guidelines of the past may no longer hold true, as now we are "mature" enough for a new set of rules.

When i was six, my mom told me to go to bed at eight. Does that mean i should go to bed at eight now? No, because i grew out of the old set of rules.
avatar
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Age : 22
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:03 am

Is this all Toaster gave you? I feel let down, I really do. It would appear as if you have given this as much thought as the average Joe.
Carcarius wrote:
Sorry, let me explain. After finding out that Santa Clause didn't exist i used that same logic for this God character. Is it possible for one being, one all mighty creature to listen and monitor 6 billion + people at once? Also if we were created in the image of god, why do we have so many imperfections.
When taking into account that we believe such a being has created the universe and exists outside of time, monitoring a mere 6 billion people would be a small feat. If you had read the Bible before dismissing Christianity you would know that imperfection, evil, sin, ect exists because God chose to give us free will. If we were predictable, pre-programmed machines what reason would there be for our existence?

Carcarius wrote:
Plus the whole debacle of evolution, dinosaurs, Jesus, Noahs Ark, existence of Evil, just make god another fictional superbeing that people associate with to give purpose to their meaningless life.
I personally believe that the creation story could have been made to communicate the basic ideas that God wanted to get across while making sense to the people of the time. I am open to the theory of evolution as it doesn't contradict the Bible, although unlike most idiots in the world I don't automatically accept it as fact or a proven process that is responsible for our creation. To be honest I don't have a lot of confidence in it due to my experience with genetic algorithms.

And would you care to specify about Jesus? Saying that Christ is evidence against Christianity can hardly be considered self explanatory... Besides that, I have stated previously that I'm open to the possibility of pre abraham stories in the bible being metaphorical, such as Noah's Ark, but I don't feel either way about it. There has actually been evidence brought up to support it, but I'll leave it to someone else to defend it. Since I have already discussed the existence of evil, I won't comment on it.

While this time you seem to have brought more than a one sentence statement about your views to the table, you have still failed to back up your claims with sufficient evidence/information. I can only hope that next time you bring something a little more solid. I look forward to it.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1527
Age : 23
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Carcarius on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:55 am

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"-Epicurus.

The whole miracle birth and Jesus didn't do anything until he was 30 problem. Then, that there has not been any contact from god to us humans since the inscription of the bible. Also what does a mortal soul do in Heaven or Hell, does one just enjoy or burn for infinity and forever? Why did god create the universe when in a googol years it will be nothing but darkness? How can the extinction of animals exist when God created them? I find this all very perplexing.
avatar
Carcarius
Minion

Male Number of posts : 230
Age : 23
Location : Georgia
Registration date : 2009-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:26 am

Carcarius wrote:"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"-Epicurus.
This has been brought up, what, six times?
Each time, we shot it down with 'Free Will'.

Carcarius wrote:The whole miracle birth and Jesus didn't do anything until he was 30 problem.
Massive case of "Did not do the research" there, bud. Jesus was doing a LOT before he was thirty.

Carcarius wrote:Than, that there has not been any contact from god to us humans since the inscription of the bible.
God made it clear several times (in the Bible) that the Bible was his word, and that's what he's speaking to us through.
Apparently, all he had to say is wrapped up between Genesis and Relevations.

Carcarius wrote:Also what does a mortal soul do in Heaven or Hell, does one just enjoy or burn for infinity and forever?
I doubt Heaven is exactly the end of things. I'd be willing to bet that, after the end of the universe, it's on to bigger projects.

Carcarius wrote:Why did god create the universe when in a googol years it will be nothing but darkness?
Well, seeing as how God apparently doesn't intend to let the universe keep going until entropy takes over...

Carcarius wrote: How can the extinction of animals exist when God created them? I find this all very perplexing.
Ironically, that argument was originally used against the fossil record.
However, the whole nature of the Universe seems to point out that God was willing to let things mature after he created them.
avatar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 27
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TNine on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:35 am

Carcarius wrote:"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"-Epicurus.

The whole miracle birth and Jesus didn't do anything until he was 30 problem. Then, that there has not been any contact from god to us humans since the inscription of the bible. Also what does a mortal soul do in Heaven or Hell, does one just enjoy or burn for infinity and forever? Why did god create the universe when in a googol years it will be nothing but darkness? How can the extinction of animals exist when God created them? I find this all very perplexing.
Without evil, there can be no good. Good is only measured in terms of realativity, as everything in our lives is (which also solves the "why aren't we all happy" problem).

Hell is a place with the abscense of God, which is unbelievably uncomforable process. We weren't meant to exist without God. Heaven is just filled with more God, which is unbelievably comforting and happy.

The rest is just questioning God's motives, which is always a stupid thing to do, we don't know what the fuck God is doing and nor do we know what he is going to do.

God contacts us every day, just a tad more subtely than you would think. When i go to church and listen, i see that God is speaking directly at me through the Bible and the pastor. Not to mention in dreams, to-good-to-be-true coincidences, sudden relevations, etc. Look for God and you will find him, decline God and he can't find you.

Lastly, why is it a problem that Jesus didn't do anything until he was 30?
avatar
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Age : 22
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:43 am

Carcarius wrote:"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"-Epicurus.
Evil exists because God will not interfere with free will, which one can understand without difficulty. If God did not allow us to be evil, then how would we have free will? If there was only good in the world, with no counterpart, then wouldn't good lose it's meaning? God intended us to be perfect, he made us in his image. Because of this we have Godlike traits, such as creativity, intelligence, emotion, and the freedom to make our own choices. He wants us to be good, he wants us to be without sin or imperfection, he wants us to be obedient to him and live the lives he knows are best for us. However, it is because he empowered us with the ability to make our own choices that we decide not to be those people.

Carcarius wrote:
The whole miracle birth and Jesus didn't do anything until he was 30 problem. Than, that there has not been any contact from god to us humans since the inscription of the bible. Also what does a mortal soul do in Heaven or Hell, does one just enjoy or burn for infinity and forever? Why did god create the universe when in a googol years it will be nothing but darkness? How can the extinction of animals exist when God created them? I find this all very perplexing.
I don't.

Carcarius wrote:
The whole miracle birth and Jesus didn't do anything until he was 30 problem.
Are you suggesting that because virgin births don't happen in nature it's a problem that the Bible says the creator of the universe made one happen? It makes sense to me that God would choose to be born from a virgin if he was going to come to earth a human and live a human life. I don't see your point about him preaching when he was older, and there were stories of him doing things as a child.

Carcarius wrote:
Than, that there has not been any contact from god to us humans since the inscription of the bible.
He has already said everything he wanted to say and done everything he has wanted to do until the time when he comes back and the world ends. Until then it is up to us to live by the Bible and represent him here on Earth. I do, however, believe that he interacts with us and guides us, I believe that he answers prayers. While there might not have been many major events or documented accounts, I do believe there has been contact with God since then.

Carcarius wrote:
Also what does a mortal soul do in Heaven or Hell, does one just enjoy or burn for infinity and forever?
I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say...

Carcarius wrote:
Why did god create the universe when in a googol years it will be nothing but darkness?
Well as stated in the Bible, he made the universe to have a beginning and an end. Why would he? I can't tell you. Why wouldn't he? I can't think of a reason why not. I don't think it means anything either way.

Carcarius wrote:
How can the extinction of animals exist when God created them?
God has put us in charge of all other creation and has given it to us unfinished so that we may complete it. It is entirely within our power to drive animals he has created into extinction. Is this responsible or right of us? No, but that is beside the point.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1527
Age : 23
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Gauz on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:59 pm

I stopped being religious when someone told me an invisible man created the universe in 7 days

Excuse me... sorry about that, I just had an impulsive moment.


But anyways, I stopped trying to be religious when it became boring and when people tried to force their beliefs on me. Not that I don't believe in God or anything, but I just don't care... if he's real or not...

I may just be one of those "See it then i'll believe it" kind of people, but that's because I don't believe water turning into blood/wine, or men walking on water, unless they're Criss Angel that is.

Well i'm off, don't want to be wasting my time debating religion you know?
avatar
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by czar on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:34 pm

There are many other confident religions besides Christianity, some of which are older. What makes you think that your religion is correct?
avatar
czar
Minion

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 23
Location : ohio
Registration date : 2009-04-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TNine on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm

czar wrote:There are many other confident religions besides Christianity, some of which are older. What makes you think that your religion is correct?
Most of those started out as "myths" with often really obscure sources. There was no evidence to support the Odyssey, most people didn't know the author. We know exactly when, how, and who wrote in the Bible, not to mention the diversity of authors and how it is simply a compilation of all of God's stories.

I'm also open to the possibility that God would appear in different forms to different cultures, in order to guide them. People are different, cultures are different, shouldn't their version of God reflect that? All in all, it's speculation. But i also can't think of any religion that's as undisproven as the Bible.
avatar
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Age : 22
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Gauz on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:15 pm

czar wrote:There are many other confident religions besides Christianity, some of which are older. What makes you think that your religion is correct?
Who says christianity is correct?

It's based on faith.
avatar
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by KrAzY on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:35 pm

TNine wrote:
czar wrote:There are many other confident religions besides Christianity, some of which are older. What makes you think that your religion is correct?
Most of those started out as "myths" with often really obscure sources. There was no evidence to support the Odyssey, most people didn't know the author. We know exactly when, how, and who wrote in the Bible, not to mention the diversity of authors and how it is simply a compilation of all of God's stories.

I'm also open to the possibility that God would appear in different forms to different cultures, in order to guide them. People are different, cultures are different, shouldn't their version of God reflect that? All in all, it's speculation. But i also can't think of any religion that's as undisproven as the Bible.


on the contrary, we know that Homer wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey and when it was written... that doesn't = truth


I know who write Lord of the Rings and when he wrote it too... does that means that it is true too?

Dragons are persistent in nearly every culture on this planet... and every continent has its own version of Bigfoot from WAY before communication was possible over these distances... should I believe in both of these too?


knowing who authored something... and when they authored it does not lend credibility to the writing... and in the case of the new testament of the bible... where the majority of the stuff about Jesus was written LONG after his death.... that knowledge only hurts the credibility


the only way to be able to see how ridiculous a story is, is to NOT believe in it... as is why when we hear stories about the greek gods we scoff and say "theres no way they actually believed in that!"... well they DID believe in it... and if you went back in time to preach to them the story of Jesus they would scoff and tell you that your religion is wrong... you say that all of those old religions started with "myths" with no basis in fact? well your religion is centered around a man, who was birthed by a virgin inseminated by god, with the ability to walk on water and heal, who preached about god until he was crucified, died, sealed in a cave, and then magically resurrected a few days later...

I don't see how this can be seen as any less of a myth than the gods who lived on Mount Olympus who had regular encounters with man.... or the great battle between the Centuar and the Lapithae which was a central theme for the Greek people

this is the fundamental flaw of arguing a religion... everyone comes into the argument CONVINCED that the stories they have been told are true... no matter how ridiculous they sound to any of us who are outside that loop.

no doubt whoever replys to me will reply with more stories trying to justify why their stories are more true than anyone elses stories.... I DON'T CARE so don't waste your time typing it at me
avatar
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Age : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TNine on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 pm

KrAzY wrote:
TNine wrote:
czar wrote:There are many other confident religions besides Christianity, some of which are older. What makes you think that your religion is correct?
Most of those started out as "myths" with often really obscure sources. There was no evidence to support the Odyssey, most people didn't know the author. We know exactly when, how, and who wrote in the Bible, not to mention the diversity of authors and how it is simply a compilation of all of God's stories.

I'm also open to the possibility that God would appear in different forms to different cultures, in order to guide them. People are different, cultures are different, shouldn't their version of God reflect that? All in all, it's speculation. But i also can't think of any religion that's as undisproven as the Bible.


on the contrary, we know that Homer wrote the Iliad and the Odyssey and when it was written... that doesn't = truth


I know who write Lord of the Rings and when he wrote it too... does that means that it is true too?

Dragons are persistent in nearly every culture on this planet... and every continent has its own version of Bigfoot from WAY before communication was possible over these distances... should I believe in both of these too?


knowing who authored something... and when they authored it does not lend credibility to the writing... and in the case of the new testament of the bible... where the majority of the stuff about Jesus was written LONG after his death.... that knowledge only hurts the credibility


the only way to be able to see how ridiculous a story is, is to NOT believe in it... as is why when we hear stories about the greek gods we scoff and say "theres no way they actually believed in that!"... well they DID believe in it... and if you went back in time to preach to them the story of Jesus they would scoff and tell you that your religion is wrong... you say that all of those old religions started with "myths" with no basis in fact? well your religion is centered around a man, who was birthed by a virgin inseminated by god, with the ability to walk on water and heal, who preached about god until he was crucified, died, sealed in a cave, and then magically resurrected a few days later...

I don't see how this can be seen as any less of a myth than the gods who lived on Mount Olympus who had regular encounters with man.... or the great battle between the Centuar and the Lapithae which was a central theme for the Greek people

this is the fundamental flaw of arguing a religion... everyone comes into the argument CONVINCED that the stories they have been told are true... no matter how ridiculous they sound to any of us who are outside that loop.

no doubt whoever replys to me will reply with more stories trying to justify why their stories are more true than anyone elses stories.... I DON'T CARE so don't waste your time typing it at me
I didn't really think that post through, and i'm a shitty explainer. But just to say a few things:

The Bible has eyewitness accounts, and that's what i meant. Almost nothing is known about Homer.

Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John were written by Jesus's apostles, they were written fairly shortly after his death.

Due to evidence, it's possible to believe in dragons. There's simply a lot more evidence to suggest that dragons do not exist. None of this counter-evidence exists for God.

Nobody here is stupid enough to say "God exists", we are all simply saying "I believe God exists." Faith is the important part of any religion.

And the shot at why the Bible seems mythical is simply unfounded.
avatar
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Age : 22
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by KrAzY on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

why is it unfounded?


if you didn't believe in jesus.. and some person ran up to you on the street and told you that story you would say "aaah... okay, that makes sense"? you would believe them?

the greeks thought, literally believed that the supernatural filled the world around them... the battle of the Centuars vs the Lapiths was a battle of Humans vs mythological creatures... ones that the Greeks KNEW exsisted... they KNEW that the Cyclops had built the Minoan cities... Just as you KNOW that jesus existed and died for your sins

you believe in a book that tells of great floods for which there is no evidance... a grand epic of good vs evil where in the end good prevails and death and sadness will never be experianced again...

and you believe this because that is your FAITH

nothing I can tell you would change your mind or sway you away from it, because to you IT MAKES SENSE... and that is your choice. I will not try to sway you from your religion. its your right to believe what you want to believe.

I will not, however, accept any of this nonsense that Christianity is based in any more truth or fact than any other religion on this planet... because you know what? every follower of every religion on this planet looks at the others and says the exact thing that you are saying.


christianity is based on just as much myth as any other religion on this planet... weather you like it or not
avatar
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Age : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TYFIGHTER on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 pm

I was born and raised in the church... Every Sunday my family and I went to church and I was taught about Jesus. I just accepted it and went on with my life. Im a fairly passionate person. If I like or believe something, I will defend it to the death. So as you might assume, I got fairly into Christianity as I got older. I studied Revelations on my own free time (its just an extremely interesting book) and became a leader for my church's Junior High youth ministry.

But Id say about 3 years ago, I decided to start researching opposing arguments and decided to inform myself on other viewpoints. I started looking at the Bible from a scientific and historical point of view, and studied opposing views of the Bible like Evolution. I slowly but surely started drawing myself away from religion. I started to severely question my faith. So much that a couple years ago I completely denounced my faith and became a Deist (which means I believe there is a God, but dont believe in any religion). I just dont really see much scientific accuracy in many of the Bible's stories. It just doesnt add up. You can only base so much on faith before you start to look like an idiot.

I also decided to pull away from religion simply because I could not stand being associated with other religious people. There is nothing worse than a religious freak riding their high horse condemning people to Hell. Honestly, if Jesus were around now do you really think he'd say "good job, keep doing what you do". Give me a break. Plus so many religious people are so uneducated on various matters that it makes me sick. They argue against Evolution but many of them dont even know the basics of it. Im not saying any religious people here are like that, but unfortunately Id have to say that the majority of people who follow a religion are.

Anyways, thats just what I think about Christianity. Dont even get me started on Islam or Catholicism. So yeah, in the end Id say the world would be 10000x better off without religion.
avatar
TYFIGHTER
Minion

Male Number of posts : 40
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2010-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by KrAzY on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:44 pm

there are just as many uneducated atheists and agnostics as there are uneducated religious peoples...


actually the argument could be made that Theistic people are more intelligent because most great minds have come from a strong religious background...


everyone is entitled to their own beliefs is my belief... as long as they can look at their own beliefs with an open mind... which is to say I do believe a lot of theistic people have trouble with that second part.



but don't go around saying that people who believe a religion are uneducated, it is certainly not true, and really only hurts you own credibility in the argument.
avatar
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Age : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TYFIGHTER on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 am

KrAzY wrote:actually the argument could be made that Theistic people are more intelligent because most great minds have come from a strong religious background...
There can be a difference between Theistic people and religious people, though.

but don't go around saying that people who believe a religion are uneducated, it is certainly not true, and really only hurts you own credibility in the argument.
Youre right. I should have re-worded that saying "from my experience".
avatar
TYFIGHTER
Minion

Male Number of posts : 40
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2010-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by PiEdude on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Now, I'll admit, that I haven't read this thread at all, and likely won't again after this.

But here's something I found on Joseph Campbell, and his beliefs on Religion:
Wikipedia wrote:
Comparative religion

Campbell relied often upon the writings of Carl Jung as an explanation of psychological phenomena, as experienced through archetypes. But Campbell did not necessarily agree with Jung upon every issue, and had very definite ideas of his own.

A fundamental belief of Campbell's was that all spirituality is a search for the same basic, unknown force from which everything came, within which everything currently exists, and into which everything will return. This elemental force is ultimately “unknowable” because it exists before words and knowledge. Although this basic driving force cannot be expressed in words, spiritual rituals and stories refer to the force through the use of "metaphors"—these metaphors being the various stories, deities, and objects of spirituality we see in the world. For example, the Genesis myth in the Bible ought not be taken as a literal description of actual events, but rather its poetic, metaphorical meaning should be examined for clues concerning the fundamental truths of the world and our existence.[20]

Accordingly, Campbell believed the religions of the world to be the various, culturally influenced “masks” of the same fundamental, transcendent truths. All religions, including Christianity and Buddhism, can bring one to an elevated awareness above and beyond a dualistic conception of reality, or idea of “pairs of opposites,” such as being and non-being, or right and wrong. Indeed, he quotes in the preface of The Hero with a Thousand Faces: "Truth is one, the sages speak of it by many names."—which is a translation of the Rig Vedic saying, "Ekam Sat Vipra Bahuda Vadanthi."

Campbell was fascinated with what he viewed as basic, universal truths, expressed in different manifestations across different cultures. For example, in the preface to The Hero with a Thousand Faces, he indicated that a goal of his was to demonstrate similarities between Eastern and Western religions. In his four-volume series of books The Masks of God, Campbell tried to summarize the main spiritual threads common throughout the world while examining their local manifestations. Tied in with this was his idea that many of the belief systems of the world which expressed these universal truths had a common geographic ancestry, starting off on the fertile grasslands of Europe in the Bronze Age and moving to the Levant and the "Fertile Crescent" of Mesopotamia and back to Europe (and the Far East), where it was mixed with the newly emerging Indo-European (Aryan) culture.

What's erie for me, is that these views closely match my own views.
The difference is, I believe that the "Unknown Force" is in fact God, or the true source of the power of God.

I also believe that He used prophets and influence, not so much supernatural events, to guide humanity to the Truth.

I don't believe the Truth to necessarily be just his existence, but also the truth of humanity.

Why create us at all? Why Earth? Who else did he create?
avatar
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571
Age : 24
Location : In the middle of a hollowed crust.
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Gauz on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 pm

I believe in the almighty power of ADAM
avatar
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Toaster on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 pm

I think it all does come down to personality type. Carl Jung would say that there are two schools of thought. There are those who are more focused on conclusions, and the specific ramifications of said conclusions, and there are those who are more concerned with how one arrives at such conclusions.

Religious people are not really concerned with logistics and reasoning. They are not concerned with how they come to the conclusion that their religion is correct. This explains why the logic behind religious belief appears to be so absolutely senseless.

One thing that religious people often do is say things like "I choose to believe in God." That train of thought, in itself, perfectly illustrates the way a religious person thinks. For me, belief is something that happens without my control. I cannot "choose" to believe in something. I believe things because I know them to be true, based on logic and personal experience. I don't choose to believe that monkeys exist. I know they exist because I've been to the zoo, and I've read all about them, and seen pictures from credible sources.

A religious person simply doesn't think that way. Their minds are structured differently. Belief, to them, is a matter of idealism. They like the idea of there being a God, and it seems convenient to them, and so in spite of lacking evidence and in the absence of real logical reasoning, they truly "believe" in what they preach.

Atheists and Agnostics aren't like that. They base their beliefs off of logic and reasoning. The trouble with atheists is that they're simply misguided. They falsely think that science has something to say about the existence of a god.

I really don't have a problem with religious people. It's when they get into trying to actually use some form of twisted logic to justify their beliefs to those who don't think the same way they do that makes me mad.
avatar
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 24
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TNine on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:06 pm

My reason for believing in religion is all personal, many times in my life i have been in trouble and turned to God and something has come up that is too convinient to simply be coincidence. Perhaps is was, perhaps i'm a misguided fool, but that is not my belief.

But i can still laugh at idiots who say that science disproves religion.
avatar
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Age : 22
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Nocbl2 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm agnostic.

Anyway, if someone is especially religious, I'm fine with that. Unless it begins affecting and distorting their daily lives, I don't really care. I believe in God. Not as a he or a she, but as a simple entity that can help us through life and death. I don't believe that science can prove religion statically, but it allows us to understand the world we are placed in by religion. Science is a form of study that helps us live better, longer lives. Religion, for me, is a way of life, not a way of thought.

At my local Church, there is a Franciscan priest. One night, I was listening to his sermon. He said that love is not distorted by faith, hate, greed, money, belief, or anything of any nature. It came from the soul, not of the mind. Your mind reasons with logic and decisions, as I see it. The soul acts on feeling. It has no guide other than itself, and no hinderance other than itself. Hate and love come from this entity. The reasons we feel certain ways might very well be affected by our levels of serotonin and whatever the other thing is called, but our strength of will always can overcome the physical world. Back to what the priest said, he also mentioned that love is pure, and true love cannot be faked. You can't love for power, or wealth, but people love people and things because they have a feeling that overrides thought and process to be replaced by a need to help.

So you see, religion and love and feeling matter, and anyone that thinks otherwise can believe that. It is a matter of preference.
avatar
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Age : 18
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by TNine on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Late me tell you a little ancedote, taken from "The Power of One"

"When i was in the military, i was with this guy who had taken a shot to the chest, but it had been blocked by a pocket bible. Now the man declared that he couldn't be killed in battle, and soon enough we headed out. It was a scouting mission, the British intelligenc said the Boers didn't have a range of more than 750 yards, and we were 1200 out. We came under fire, and i was hit in the leg while the guy was hit in the head and died.
The moral of the story is never expect the British intelligence to be accurate and expect the Boers to be dead accurate, and that religion is all good in matters of the heart but no good in matters of the head".

Not a very accurate quote, but it gets the point across.
avatar
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Age : 22
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Dud Doodoo on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:52 pm

ReconToaster wrote:I think it all does come down to personality type. Carl Jung would say that there are two schools of thought. There are those who are more focused on conclusions, and the specific ramifications of said conclusions, and there are those who are more concerned with how one arrives at such conclusions.

Religious people are not really concerned with logistics and reasoning. They are not concerned with how they come to the conclusion that their religion is correct. This explains why the logic behind religious belief appears to be so absolutely senseless.

One thing that religious people often do is say things like "I choose to believe in God." That train of thought, in itself, perfectly illustrates the way a religious person thinks. For me, belief is something that happens without my control. I cannot "choose" to believe in something. I believe things because I know them to be true, based on logic and personal experience. I don't choose to believe that monkeys exist. I know they exist because I've been to the zoo, and I've read all about them, and seen pictures from credible sources.

A religious person simply doesn't think that way. Their minds are structured differently. Belief, to them, is a matter of idealism. They like the idea of there being a God, and it seems convenient to them, and so in spite of lacking evidence and in the absence of real logical reasoning, they truly "believe" in what they preach.

Atheists and Agnostics aren't like that. They base their beliefs off of logic and reasoning. The trouble with atheists is that they're simply misguided. They falsely think that science has something to say about the existence of a god.

I really don't have a problem with religious people. It's when they get into trying to actually use some form of twisted logic to justify their beliefs to those who don't think the same way they do that makes me mad.
That isn't exactly it. We do not believe in a God because we find the idea simple, convenient, or comforting. I, at least, don't cling to the concept that there is someone who can make me answer for the constant sinning that goes on in my life because I find it to be a comforting idea.

While I do not find Christianity to be illogical, I don't think that beliefs concerning an entity that exists outside of the physical world should be founded in physical evidence or a system of thought that has been derived from said world. Perhaps, we just recognize an underlying idea in all that exists that tells us that there is one who is greater than ourselves.

What annoys me is the horde of atheists in my school who enjoy recycling common atheist arguments that are made by those who have no understanding of Christianity. I have yet to argue with someone in person who has actually come up with their own reasons about why believe what they believe. Atheists aren't the only ones, however. The Christians who usually come in on my side are just as unoriginal and have a tendency to recite their favorite prewritten phrases instead of really contributing or even helping me at all. My family does this.

Either way, the majority of people I have had the pleasure of conversing with, both atheist, agnostic, and religious, seem to conform to the views of others instead of analyzing their feelings themselves. It is possible that this is because most of those are teenagers, and I certainly hope it is. If this theme persists throughout my life, I will have much less respect for humanity than I currently do.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1527
Age : 23
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum