Guild Wars 2

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:32 pm

I made a decent rig for $800 (desktop)

Could go cheaper even if you wanted.

Could cut a few hundred out of that if you skimmed on things like the case and SSD.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:58 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6337-Guild-Wars-2#

This week Yahtzee reviews Guild Wars 2, and quite favorably at that (favorably for a zero punctuation review that is). I still want this game. No subscription fees means I don't have to commit, unlike WoW: Pandas.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 am

Gauz wrote:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6337-Guild-Wars-2#

This week Yahtzee reviews Guild Wars 2, and quite favorably at that (favorably for a zero punctuation review that is). I still want this game. No subscription fees means I don't have to commit, unlike WoW: Pandas.

I haven't watched a ZP review for a good year now. Kinda got bored with angry reviews and some of the shitty stuff Yahtzee did last year. (Let's pay the escapist money to fly out Yahtzee first class to our con!).

Honestly though, all I've seen on this game has been very mixed, which is pretty prevalent with all MMO's right now honestly.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 am

I still like Yahtzee because despite his radical views and generally negative attitude, he does make good points in his reviews. It's mostly for the comedy rather than the actual review, but I think his opinions are still pretty valid for most games.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 pm

I watch ZP because if there's really any better way to judge a game is see its flaws and if they are manageable.

Now that's not for all games mind you but for games your on the fence about its kind of nice to know about the stuff that will drag the experience down beforehand.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Gauz wrote:I still like Yahtzee because despite his radical views and generally negative attitude, he does make good points in his reviews. It's mostly for the comedy rather than the actual review, but I think his opinions are still pretty valid for most games.

Most of his points were pretty nit picky last time I checked in. Yahtzee really didn't get Enslaved and just went on and on about it's source material and how it ruined it. (He clearly didn't get that Journey to the West has been used as inspirations for a lot of popular culture such as Dragonball, which like Enslaved deviated heavily from the source material. It's the fucking equivalent of Shakespeare for the Chinese. A lot of their culture has been influenced by it)

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Yahtzee is nit-picky because he's a critic, and critics are supposed to critique. He's always been open about the fact that his opinions are just that, opinions, and that just because he says that he didn't enjoy a game does not inherently make the game bad. I watch Yahtzee because he's typically witty, and we're both bitter cynics.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Yahtzee is nit-picky because he's a critic, and critics are supposed to critique. He's always been open about the fact that his opinions are just that, opinions, and that just because he says that he didn't enjoy a game does not inherently make the game bad. I watch Yahtzee because he's typically witty, and we're both bitter cynics.

I very aware of that, but the smug 'I better than everybody else because I'm smart and you're dumb' shtick got really grating after a while, as with time it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell where the act ends and the real person begins.

I've very rarely completely follow a Yahtzee review. There a lot of games he didn't like I did, and while he loves saints row 2, I find it dull and unappealing. That wasn't my point. A lot of his valid criticisms get lost in a pile of tired sexual innuendos, blind hate for Peter Molyneux and Nintendo and drawn out metaphors.

The $20,000 thing to get him to pax prime last year was a bit disgusting, especially as it was very excessive and read way to much like so many murky kickstarters do nowadays.

It also doesn't help that the Escapist is a fucking nightmare to navigate now as it about 80% adspace and unskippable ads for 2 minutes before I can watch a goddamn episode.

But for sake of fairness, I watched a more recent episode on syndicate, a game I enjoyed and I listened to what he has to say about it. Makes a lot of the trope jokes as usual, compares it to the original PC game, and mistakes it for a remake, when much like Deus Ex: Human Revolution is more a prequel to the events of the first game in their respective series.

Stuff about the story and characters are pretty fair points, though the final hour of that game does explain a lot, as well as a few subtle hints throughout. And yes it was a bit cliche'.

Totally ignored the upgrade system and how it rewarded picking upgrades close to one another for a health bonus. Or the Drat Overlay which slows down time and tells you where the enemies are. Nothing about the varied enemy types that require you to use your varied abilities to kill them.

Misses the multiplayer corporation element of the game where player could from their own corporations and rise the ranks and work together to get corporation wide bonuses.

I may be being a little harsh, as he's not terrible and I do find some of his stuff funny, but he's been doing the same thing for nearly 5 years. I'm glad I stopped as after a while anything, no matter what is it can grow dull. I might watch now and again, but never weekly.

Also if you think he's a cynic and you like that kind of style, go to the source. Charlie Brooker is a British comedian who Yahtzee most likely was inspired by.

And this was just before he got married. Razz

Skip to around the 2 minute mark for the US stuff.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I met Yhatzee once at a game conference... we played a game of area 51 together at the industry only afterparty (I had a pass and everyone was trying to get rid of their tokens before the place closed for the night)

how he is in real life seemed pretty consistent with whats shown in the shows... except he talks slower
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:45 pm

To be fair Vigil he doesn't play multiplayer in pretty much any game.

I think it's good that he puts a game to be reviewed in a singleplayer function as an entire game should not rest solely upon how bearable it is to play against 12 year olds.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Video game reviewers are sort of like political commentary and talk shows, you can't take everything they say word-for-word and the funny ones are always the best.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 am

KrAzY wrote:I met Yhatzee once at a game conference... we played a game of area 51 together at the industry only afterparty (I had a pass and everyone was trying to get rid of their tokens before the place closed for the night)

how he is in real life seemed pretty consistent with whats shown in the shows... except he talks slower

That's my problem with the guy. It's become virtually impossible to tell if he's exaggerating his sense that he is superior to his audience, or it's a real manifestation of his ego.

I had the same issue with The Spoony One from That Guy with the Glasses near the end when I stopped watching him, but now with all the developments there and his very public meltdown it was clear now that it was part of his ego and personal issues had on the side.

Yahtzee hasn't done any of that, most likely because his work ethic is pretty different (ZP, The Manabar, that TV stuff he tried to do and his books) and he's been a gaming journalist in the past for PC gamer so he's no stranger to what he's talking about and pressing deadlines.

My biggest concern with him is that it's very easy to assume that some of his opinions are made out of outright snobbery, and not due to a valid criticism of a game.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down