Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Portal 2 [SUPER MEGA SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Of course, the PC side of Shadowrun servers was also run completely by Microsoft, and Microsoft didn't allow any kind of modding or user-created content for Shadowrun. Hence the problem. Microsoft doesn't want Valve or anyone else to have any kind of access to XBL servers.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:Of course, the PC side of Shadowrun servers was also run completely by Microsoft, and Microsoft didn't allow any kind of modding or user-created content for Shadowrun. Hence the problem. Microsoft doesn't want Valve or anyone else to have any kind of access to XBL servers.
Which, if you look what happened to the PS3 and its servers, makes sense.

.:Live Life, Love Life:.
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Very true. I understand Microsoft's standpoint on it all. Control of the servers is one of the things that keeps hacking at a minimum as compared to the PC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Elabajaba wrote:
CivBase wrote:PC gaming is quickly dying.

*Looks at minecraft*
*Looks at steam having their best year in terms of sales*
*Looks at people on b.net at any given time*
*Looks at all the stuff civ made up recently*
Civ, I don't really think that PC gaming is dying. From all I've seen, it seems to be growing.
How many big-budget games have come out for PC, without being ported? Can we get a list comparing PCs and the three consoles here?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Elabajaba wrote:

*Looks at minecraft*
Civ, I don't really think that PC gaming is dying. From all I've seen, it seems to be growing.
How many big-budget games have come out for PC, without being ported? Can we get a list comparing PCs and the three consoles here?
Depends on what you consider ported. Since PC isn't owned by a company, nobody really cares if Valve sells Half-Life on the XBox. On the other hand, Mario isn't coming out on the PC or any other console because Nintendo won't let it.
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31 am

well 'pc' for all purposes means windows, since games are built for windows with mac as a loose secondary that rarely happens.
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:58 am

TNine wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Elabajaba wrote:

*Looks at minecraft*
Depends on what you consider ported. Since PC isn't owned by a company, nobody really cares if Valve sells Half-Life on the XBox. On the other hand, Mario isn't coming out on the PC or any other console because Nintendo won't let it.

Because Nintendo knows if they did it wouldn't give them a reliable income due to pirating, and control-wise it's more sense for them to release it on their own console as he's their poster boy.

I can't think of any big triple A PC exclusive release since maybe Crysis, and now that series is going on consoles with Crysis 2.

The PC market is only going to survive through indie developers as their overheads are much smaller and it's less like to bite them in the backside if it get's pirated. PC gaming will never go back to the big days of DOOM and Quake. You'll get a lot of good short downloadable games, but you'll never get a PC exclusive big budget game by a major studio again.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:36 am

At least Valve is still native developing on PC...

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 am

Vigil wrote:
TNine wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Elabajaba wrote:

*Looks at minecraft*

Because Nintendo knows if they did it wouldn't give them a reliable income due to pirating, and control-wise it's more sense for them to release it on their own console as he's their poster boy.

I can't think of any big triple A PC exclusive release since maybe Crysis, and now that series is going on consoles with Crysis 2.

The PC market is only going to survive through indie developers as their overheads are much smaller and it's less like to bite them in the backside if it get's pirated. PC gaming will never go back to the big days of DOOM and Quake. You'll get a lot of good short downloadable games, but you'll never get a PC exclusive big budget game by a major studio again.

Are we forgeting SC 2? WoW? Granted they are by the same company but still they are pretty big buget no?
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2077
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am

WoW is getting on a bit, but I suppose you could count SC2 and Maybe when cataclysm was released, Blizzard is a part of merger of Activision.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:09 pm

the point is that all non-shitty RTS (and most MMORPGs) are on PC for now. Until someone makes something actually awesome for console, PC has control of an entire genre (I'm not saying that RTS won't work on consoles, just that it hasn't done well yet)

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:42 am

However, this isn't proof that PC gaming isn't in the decline. The genres it has the tightest grip on are doing just as poorly. Besides StarCraft II, how many other big RTS titles have been exclusively PC? And how many MMOs have come out of late and been particularly successful in the shadow of WoW?

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 pm

BBJynne wrote:(I'm not saying that RTS won't work on consoles, just that it hasn't done well yet)
I actually thought that Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 had pretty damn good ports.

Of course PC is where the RTS shine's and until they let you use a mouse and keyboard on your console, then that's pretty much where it's going to be at home. It's definitely difficult to incorporate the amount of actions and controls that exist in an RTS over to a controller for a console. But still can be done so enough to where the final product can still be enoyed and actually be played in somewhat the same fashion as it would on the PC when it comes to controls, actions and stratagies. This is what CnC3 / CnC: RA3 did in my opinion.
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:22 pm

Divine Virus wrote:I actually thought that Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars, Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 had pretty damn good ports.

Fun fact: you are now three slots higher on my list of people to dismember slowly. Evil or Very Mad

Divine Virus wrote:Of course PC is where the RTS shine's and until they let you use a mouse and keyboard on your console, then that's pretty much where it's going to be at home. It's definitely difficult to incorporate the amount of actions and controls that exist in an RTS over to a controller for a console. But still can be done so enough to where the final product can still be enoyed and actually be played in somewhat the same fashion as it would on the PC when it comes to controls, actions and stratagies. This is what CnC3 / CnC: RA3 did in my opinion.

As someone who played the C&C games before EA took over, Red Alert 3 was an afront to everything that was good and holy about the Red Alert series, and if I could, I would personally torture and murder every person responsible for the creation of that game.

Consider this, almost all of the big name RTS companies have gone out of business. Westwood, Ensemble, and Stainless Steel are all gone, leaving Blizzard and a handful of small companies to carry the weight of an entire genre.

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:24 pm

Oh come on, C&C:3 and Kane's Wrath weren't that bad. Red alert was a lot of fun actually. Maybe it's cause I didn't play the older ones, but I still found them enjoyable.
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2077
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Fun fact: you are now three slots higher on my list of people to dismember slowly. Evil or Very Mad
I have absolutely no fear or worries about this. But do move me more so we have have food and play games such as RA3 on xbox faster. Razz

Rotaretilbo wrote:
As someone who played the C&C games before EA took over, Red Alert 3 was an afront to everything that was good and holy about the Red Alert series, and if I could, I would personally torture and murder every person responsible for the creation of that game.

Consider this, almost all of the big name RTS companies have gone out of business. Westwood, Ensemble, and Stainless Steel are all gone, leaving Blizzard and a handful of small companies to carry the weight of an entire genre.
I played Red Alert and CnC way back in the days of Westwood too. I love that shit man. So Why can't I like Red Alert 3 and the new CnC's because it's not the same team behind the original. There's no denying the amount of impact etc etc that the originals and Red Alert had on the genre. No one is taking the originals into question. I'm simply saying that CnC3 and Red Alert 3 were great ports over to the Xbox.

Quite frankly I don't see the problem with RA3. One of these days if I ever get a PC to play on, I'll still wanna get games like CnC3 or RA3 along with other must haves.

I agree though about you saying that Blizzard is left with the RTS genre in it's hands. They can for sure handly themselves but there should be a new series or developer on the horizen. On that note, they're is rumors of a new team rebooting the CnC series. Not sure how that's gonna work but we'll see what happens.

EDIT: I just realized, should we be doing this in the Portal 2 thread? I can agree to disagree so the thread doesn't get hi-jacked.
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Because these new Command & Conquer games are mediocre at best and downright bad at worst. For example, I don't know if this was an innocent change or if they just did it to mindfuck all of the people who played the older games, but Red Alert 3 has a completely different UI than the original games. In Red Alert 2, for example, left click selects and deselects, while right click issues orders, while in non-Westwood RTS games, left click selects and issues orders, while right click deselects. In Red Alert 3, they use BOTH of these methods, just to confuse the fucking shit out of me. "Oh, missed an opportunity to use Sputnik. Better deselect." *launches Sputnik at an empty field* "FUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm

This is a thread for Portal 2.

That is all.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Because these new Command & Conquer games are mediocre at best and downright bad at worst. For example, I don't know if this was an innocent change or if they just did it to mindfuck all of the people who played the older games, but Red Alert 3 has a completely different UI than the original games. In Red Alert 2, for example, left click selects and deselects, while right click issues orders, while in non-Westwood RTS games, left click selects and issues orders, while right click deselects. In Red Alert 3, they use BOTH of these methods, just to confuse the fucking shit out of me. "Oh, missed an opportunity to use Sputnik. Better deselect." *launches Sputnik at an empty field* "FUUUUUUUUUUUUU"
The new games are just fine. CnC4 is the only one that seemed to have changed drastically, but I still would like to play it at some point.

I play RA3 on console and I never have a problem with controls or anything like that. The times that I did play it on PC, I still never had a problem. So, sorry that you have / had a bad experience with the game but I didn't so I enjoyed playing it and still enjoy playing it to this day.

Nocbl2 wrote:This is a thread for Portal 2.

That is all.
You're right. Sorry.
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:38 pm

how high or low am I on rots list?
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:59 am

Gauz wrote:how high or low am I on rots list?

Probably not as high as Laxspartan, but not by much.

Be glad you aren't Hitler. If he was still alive he'd be number 1 on the list.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:39 pm

I thought I was pretty cool with rot.

yeah I know this is late but...

Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm

Vigil wrote:Be glad you aren't Hitler. If he was still alive he'd be number 1 on the list.
I get the feeling that Hitler wasn't so much crossed off as checked off.
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 am

There are definitely some benefits to being undead. ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Yam Head on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Yam Head
Minion

Male Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2009-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down