A weekend in Chester

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A weekend in Chester

Post by Offensive Bias on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:27 pm

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281899909#!/photo.php?pid=285915&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000281899909&id=100000281899909

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281899909#!/photo.php?pid=285916&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000281899909&id=100000281899909&fbid=131534116865984

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281899909#!/photo.php?pid=285917&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000281899909&id=100000281899909&fbid=131534123532650

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281899909#!/photo.php?pid=285919&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000281899909&id=100000281899909&fbid=131534140199315

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281899909#!/photo.php?pid=285791&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000281899909&id=100000281899909&fbid=131505860202143

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281899909#!/photo.php?pid=285790&op=1&o=global&view=global&subj=100000281899909&id=100000281899909&fbid=131505836868812

It started like this right, most of you know that I have been interested in getting into a re enactment group. And I did. This weekend, I went down to Chester to see a display that was centred all around the greatly historic city. So the Saturday was really nice weather, sun and no clouds and fairly warm. So, we stumbled around the city for an hour or two, before coming across the ruins of the ampitheatre. There, people were gathered all around it while legionaries did a parade through, and some mock combat took place between the Celts and Romans.

So, we watched this for a while, until we got directions from some dude in a straw hat to the camps in the nearby park. So off we went, passing a lot of re enactors on the way. We came to a large campsite, with souvenir tents and shit scattered around. One of the groups told us about the North West based groups, and that led us the 8th. I talked to their leader, Nick for a few minutes, and he managed to find out that one of their members had to leave for Sunday, and that they could get me some kit. I was quite overjoyed, and eagerly awaited the next day.

On Sunday, we drove back to Chester, and I went immediately to the camp of the 8th. They told me the rules, and everything. And they brought me some uniform and armour. Unfortunately for me, the armour of the person I replaced was Auxilia armour. Whereas the legionaries wear lighter and easier to put on/take off segmented armour, Auxilia wore chain mail. And this shit was heavy. The tunic was itchy wool, and they had to tie a scarf around my neck so the chain mail didn't chafe, and then find me a helmet and a spare shield.

After I had everything on, I was advised to walk around the park, and get used to the weight. I did this in studded sandals, but I didn't have a shield or a spear for that so it was just really getting used to the sandals. I was given a brief instruction on what the Latin commands meant, and then we marched out two by two. I was given an Auxilia shield, and this thing was heavier than a legionary shield. The hand rest was also very small, and actually hurt me more than anything. The entire right side of my right hand is covered in cuts and bruises. So, we came out, doing simple left and right turns while waiting for every other group to turn up. We gathered together, with us at the very back, and began a long march through Chester.

The march was done in step with the man in front, and it was difficult for me, having to hold the spear a certain way, and having to keep hold of this heavy, uncomfortable shield. I tried my best at carrying out but eventually, Nick saw I was struggling and took the spear off me, allowing me to carry the shield two handed. We got back to the camp, and had some water and bread and fruit. We had an hour break until the next of our events. So, I spoke to some of the people and they told me I'd done okay for my first time, but I needed a legionary shield. They managed to borrow one from the 20th, and I had a comfortable shield with a decent sized hand rest.

They took me out of the back of the line, and put me in the middle, as a legionary. We practiced in the pouring rain at making a small testudo. We did this once before someone came telling us that we were late for going to the ampitheatre ruins. We marched in order all the way, people taking pictures and stuff. We went into the ruins and took place on the sand. Nick ordered us to spread out, and we each got close to a bit of the wall, and got close to the public.

The announcer would say things like, "Legionaries use the gladius." At which point, we would draw the weapon to show the crowd. We did this all the equipment and then we were ordered back into formation. We paraded around the ruins for a while, and eventually got back to the end of the ruins. We dropped our spears, drew swords and got into a wedge formation. We advanced on the crowd, tapping the flat of our swords on the edge of our shields, and then broke into a charge towards the wall, which got a few screams from the kids Razz

So, then we got into the centre of the ruins and formed a testudo, while an archer stood on a small wooden tower and shot arrows at us. They bounced off, the people applauded and we filed out back to the camp. It was after we left the ruins that the gladiator fights started. Some of the other members in the group wanted to go and see the gladiators, and I found out that we could go down there in full kit and get inside the ruins, and get the best seats in the entire place.

We had to stand perfectly still and even got called in by the "Emperor" to "Kill" a rebellious gladiator. The crowd seemed to like it, and it was quite fun to do. It was freezing and raining, and I was actually starting to lose feeling in my fingers and I could barely make a fist around my spear. So, when the fights finally finished, we went back to the camp, where I deemed it proper to leave. I got some help getting out of the chain mail, and taking off the baldric. And that was it. I gave the stuff back to Nick, and then discovered that if I show up next month at another event, they will have made me custom fitting legionary segmented armour, and I don't have to wear that fucking chain mail bullshit again.

My final impression: It was undeniably fun. Even though the equipment and uniform was heavy, itchy and sometimes quite choking, you learned to ignore it. I got to grips with the shields fast enough, and I was told I did very well in the ruins event. So, I will definitely be coming back to one of their events, and after a while I should be able to cope with the aches in the shoulders and ankles. It's an incredible weight, but also an incredible thrill.

Last edited by Offensive Bias on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Offensive Bias
Minion

Male Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2009-11-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A weekend in Chester

Post by RX on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:43 pm

Very nice indeed. I wish I lived a lot closer so that I could join this as well Sad
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2008-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm tempted. Chester is my local city. At the very least I'll watch. It sounds pretty cool.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper on Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Chester? as in Chester PA... oh Fuck no!
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:30 am

Awesome story
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Offensive Bias on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:16 am

Cheese wrote:I'm tempted. Chester is my local city. At the very least I'll watch. It sounds pretty cool.

Were you not watching it? There were a lot of people following us down the streets and watching the shit in the ampitheatre ruins. Well, in July we're opening for a huge multi-period reenactment show.

I find it kind of cool how when I started, I got the easier stuff. Marching, testudo and basic Latin. And then the next show is mock battle, with harder marching and possibly a larger testudo. And next show, I'll be wearing the segmented stuff. No more heavy ass chain mail. I mean, I can barely turn my neck, the back of my hand is rubbed raw and I've got really stiff ankles. But I've never had so much fun being in agony xD
Offensive Bias
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 pm

I havent been here in months. I was in uni at the time.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Offensive Bias on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:16 pm

That sucks. Lol, we could have met each other and never even realised.
Offensive Bias
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

We still may have. I'm often with the freerunners/flipping people if you've ever seen them.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Offensive Bias on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Never seen them, no. I live in Stockport. And I've only ever been Chester this one time.
Offensive Bias
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Offensive Bias on Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Updated with pictures. Facebook, just cos.
Offensive Bias
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top