Halo: Reach 2.0

Page 5 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Vtrooper on Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:26 pm

some one remind me, in chapter 11 of FoR, they mention a second generation of Spartan-II, what if Halsey thinks Noble is this second generation of Spartans? did we think of that possibility

as for the Saber with Shields, its EXPERIMENTAL, and suposedly Noble Six was part of that program, Experimental Part, as well as the time period, makes me think it was ment to be a Next Generation Fighter for the UNSCDF with reverse engineered Covenant Tech
avatar
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Location : The reaches of Space
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Avenged on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 pm

KrAzY wrote:Just curious Avenged

what books have you read and enjoyed?


don't lie, as I am going to quiz you on any one you claim to have read that I have read also, a test if you will

Well I have read The Beach by Alex Garland, The Catcher in the Rye, I am right now in the middle if Slaughterhouse Five, I have read the longest winter, Huck Finn, The Clockwork Orange, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Longest Day, The Great Gatsby but my favorite author is Ernest Hemingway. I loved the Sun Also Rises and A Farwell to arms was also good.

So in short yes I have read and liked othe books before

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Age : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Vtrooper wrote:some one remind me, in chapter 11 of FoR, they mention a second generation of Spartan-II, what if Halsey thinks Noble is this second generation of Spartans? did we think of that possibility

as for the Saber with Shields, its EXPERIMENTAL, and suposedly Noble Six was part of that program, Experimental Part, as well as the time period, makes me think it was ment to be a Next Generation Fighter for the UNSCDF with reverse engineered Covenant Tech
No, because she would have been supervising the project.
avatar
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Age : 18
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:25 pm

Avenged wrote:
KrAzY wrote:Just curious Avenged

what books have you read and enjoyed?


don't lie, as I am going to quiz you on any one you claim to have read that I have read also, a test if you will

Well I have read The Beach by Alex Garland, The Catcher in the Rye, I am right now in the middle if Slaughterhouse Five, I have read the longest winter, Huck Finn, The Clockwork Orange, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Longest Day, The Great Gatsby but my favorite author is Ernest Hemingway. I loved the Sun Also Rises and A Farwell to arms was also good.

So in short yes I have read and liked othe books before


Those are pretty much books assigned to you by school.

_________________

avatar
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by BBJynne on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Avenged wrote:my favorite author is Ernest Hemingway

seriously?

He's like my least favorite "classic" author EVER

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Age : 25
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Vtrooper on Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:some one remind me, in chapter 11 of FoR, they mention a second generation of Spartan-II, what if Halsey thinks Noble is this second generation of Spartans? did we think of that possibility

as for the Saber with Shields, its EXPERIMENTAL, and suposedly Noble Six was part of that program, Experimental Part, as well as the time period, makes me think it was ment to be a Next Generation Fighter for the UNSCDF with reverse engineered Covenant Tech
No, because she would have been supervising the project.

didn't she get removed from ONI matters in 2531? or something like that? may have been 2552 though i can't remember
avatar
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Location : The reaches of Space
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Avenged on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm

The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Huck Finn were assigned but the rest i read on my own

And BB i can understand why you don't like Hemingway his work can be pretty deep and hard to read but once you adjust to his style you will find that it is some of the best stuff out there

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Age : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by KrAzY on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:15 pm

your list of read books includes no fantasy or science fiction... how the fuck are you one to judge a genre you obviously have no experience in reading?

you're not going to like books in genre's you don't like
avatar
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3954
Age : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Avenged on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:24 pm

i wouldnt say that krazy i read the eragon series and that was pretty good

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Age : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by CivBase on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm

To Kill a Mockingbird was among the worst books I have ever had the displeasure of reading. Cosmos was more interesting than that. I started on Huck Finn... and gave up after the first two chapters.

And where is Ender's Game? Animal Farm? Eragon?

Edit: Nevermind on that last one... you beat me to it >.<

_________________
avatar
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Avenged on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:49 pm

I did read animal farm and that is a great book and huck Finn is not nessicarilly difficult or the most boring book I have ever read but it is not fun in te beginning because when mark twain began writing it he intended it to be a childrens book similar to Tom Sawyer but then stopped afte two chapters and only began writing it again some years later and when he did begin to write it again he changed the entire tone of the book and turned it into a story of freedom and independence from a harsh society two themes which are not aimed at the audience of children at all

To Kill A Mockingbird is a great book and you need to give me an idea of why you didn't like it.

:YooYoo:

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Age : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by KrAzY on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:04 pm

Avenged wrote:i wouldnt say that krazy i read the eragon series and that was pretty good

the eragon series is considered by most sci-fi and fantasy fans as garbage


and even having read eragon... that is worlds different from a sci-fi military story


read Starship troopers, Enders game, and Dune... only then I will consider your opinions on science fiction to be valid
avatar
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3954
Age : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:24 pm

KrAzY wrote:Read Ender's game
This.

I read EG for a project in High School. I got an A. Very Happy

BTW, I just kinda noticed how simular EG is to Halo's universe. Well, I should say, how simular Halo is to EG universe, cause it came first obviously. But you know what I mean.

Alien menance threating mankind and taking children and putting them through training to fight the Aliens. That's about the only simularites. But again, you get the picture.

Anyways, It's a great book. Not sure about the others in the series, for I have not read them. But EG, I'm so glad I read it.

Also, Starship Troopes was a book too? Huh, go figure. Razz
avatar
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 27
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by KrAzY on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Enders game was Card's answer to starship troopers


the movie was excellent... but it shares no similarities to the book other than the name


the concept of power armor was invented in starship troopers... almost ever science fiction story since then has used what Heinlein invented
avatar
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3954
Age : 28
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Ruski on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 pm

KrAzY wrote:Enders game was Card's answer to starship troopers


the movie was excellent... but it shares no similarities to the book other than the name


the concept of power armor was invented in starship troopers... almost ever science fiction story since then has used what Heinlein invented

Starship Troopers is on the read-list at West Point or was. It was adapted by the US Military in the 50's, if I remember correctly, for an insight on what future warfare may be like.

Edit:

While powered armor is Starship Troopers' most famous legacy, its influence extends deep into contemporary warfare. Over half a century after its publication, Starship Troopers is on the reading lists of the United States Marine Corps, and the United States Navy. It is the only science fiction novel on the reading lists at three of the five United States military branches. When Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers the United States military was a largely conscripted force, with conscripts serving two year hitches. Today the U.S. military has incorporated many ideas similar to Heinlein's concept of an all-volunteer, high-tech strike force. In addition, references to the book keep appearing in military culture. In 2002 a Marine general described the future of Marine Corps clothing and equipment as needing to emulate the Mobile Infantry.

Edit:

Books
Starship Troopers influenced many later science fiction stories, setting a tone for the military in space, a type of story referred to as military science fiction. John Steakley's novel Armor was, according to the author, born out of frustration with the small amount of actual combat in Starship Troopers and because he wanted this aspect developed further.[dead link][51] Conversely, Joe Haldeman's anti-war novel The Forever War is popularly thought to be a direct reply to Starship Troopers, and though Haldeman has stated that it is actually a result of his personal experiences in the Vietnam War, he has admitted to being influenced by Starship Troopers.[40]

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is also thought by many to have been either a direct response to or influenced by Starship Troopers. Card has flatly denied this, saying that he never read the novel and did not read The Forever War until after writing Ender's Game.[52] Harry Harrison wrote a satirical book called Bill, the Galactic Hero which he described as "a piss-take on Heinlein's Starship Troopers."[53] John Scalzi's novel Old Man's War is, according to the author, explicitly patterned after Starship Troopers.[54]

In recent years, John Ringo's series Legacy of the Aldenata (also known as the Posleen series) featured a more explicit homage to Heinlein's book. In 1987, a Choose Your Own Adventure-style interactive book set in the Starship Troopers universe, Combat Command in the World of Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers: Shines the Name by Mark Acres, was published by Ace Publishers.

Film and television

The 1986 James Cameron film Aliens incorporated themes and phrases from the novel, such as the terms "the drop" and "bug hunt", as well as the cargo-loader exoskeleton. The actors playing the Colonial Marines were also required to read Starship Troopers as part of their preparation prior to filming.[55]

The film rights to the novel were licensed in the 1990s.[56] The first film, also titled Starship Troopers, was directed by Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop, Total Recall) and released in 1997. The film diverged greatly in terms of the themes and plot of the novel, and received mixed reviews from critics.[57] A sequel followed in 2004, titled Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation, and another in 2008, Starship Troopers 3: Marauder. An animated series, Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, which took inspiration from both the novel and the first film, was started in 1999 and lasted for 37 episodes.

The creator of the mecha anime TV series Mobile Suit Gundam (1979) has cited Starship Troopers as inspiration.[58]

In 1988, Sunrise and Bandai Visual produced a 6-episode Japanese original video animation locally titled Uchū no Senshi.[59]

[edit] Games

In 1976, Avalon Hill published Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers, a map-and-counter board wargame featuring a number of scenarios as written in the novel.[60] In 1997, as a tie-in with Verhoeven's film adaptation, they published Starship Troopers: Prepare For Battle! which entirely focused on the film.[61] Starship Troopers: The Miniatures Game, a miniature wargame which used material from both the novel and the film was published by Mongoose Publishing in 2005.[62] In 1982, Radio Shack/Tandy published Klendathu by Leo Christopherson for the TRS-80 Model I/II/III and Color Computer.[63] In 1998, Mythic Entertainment[64] released Starship Troopers: Battlespace which was available to America Online subscribers. The game, in which players battled each other in overhead space combat, allowed players to assume either Klendathu or Federation roles.

In 2000, Blue Tongue Entertainment released the top-down real-time tactics video game Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendancy.[65] A first-person shooter game titled Starship Troopers was released November 15, 2005, based on Paul Verhoeven's film version rather than on Heinlein's novel. It was developed by Strangelite and published by Empire Interactive. Starship Troopers is also thought to have influenced numerous computer games including Tribes, Tribes 2,[66] StarCraft,[67] and Crysis. Most notably, however, is the similarities of the Mobile Infantry to the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers (ODSTs) of the Halo universe, particularly in the soldiers' drop pods, advanced armor and weapons, and an ongoing, seemingly hopeless battle with an advanced alien enemy.


Last edited by Ruski on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1217
Age : 23
Location : Canton, Ohio
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Divine Virus on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Looks like I have more books to look up.

The movie is classic. Have watched it like ∞ times.
avatar
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 27
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Vtrooper wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:some one remind me, in chapter 11 of FoR, they mention a second generation of Spartan-II, what if Halsey thinks Noble is this second generation of Spartans? did we think of that possibility

as for the Saber with Shields, its EXPERIMENTAL, and suposedly Noble Six was part of that program, Experimental Part, as well as the time period, makes me think it was ment to be a Next Generation Fighter for the UNSCDF with reverse engineered Covenant Tech
No, because she would have been supervising the project.

didn't she get removed from ONI matters in 2531? or something like that? may have been 2552 though i can't remember
No, her funding for a second class of S-IIs was dropped.
avatar
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Age : 18
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Ruski on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:some one remind me, in chapter 11 of FoR, they mention a second generation of Spartan-II, what if Halsey thinks Noble is this second generation of Spartans? did we think of that possibility

as for the Saber with Shields, its EXPERIMENTAL, and suposedly Noble Six was part of that program, Experimental Part, as well as the time period, makes me think it was ment to be a Next Generation Fighter for the UNSCDF with reverse engineered Covenant Tech
No, because she would have been supervising the project.

didn't she get removed from ONI matters in 2531? or something like that? may have been 2552 though i can't remember
No, her funding for a second class of S-IIs was dropped.

Quit trying to find loop holes. The matter of the fact is that they are S-III's, minus Jorge, and that NobleSix was at Pegasi, a S-III engagement.
avatar
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1217
Age : 23
Location : Canton, Ohio
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Vtrooper on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Ruski wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:some one remind me, in chapter 11 of FoR, they mention a second generation of Spartan-II, what if Halsey thinks Noble is this second generation of Spartans? did we think of that possibility

as for the Saber with Shields, its EXPERIMENTAL, and suposedly Noble Six was part of that program, Experimental Part, as well as the time period, makes me think it was ment to be a Next Generation Fighter for the UNSCDF with reverse engineered Covenant Tech
No, because she would have been supervising the project.

didn't she get removed from ONI matters in 2531? or something like that? may have been 2552 though i can't remember
No, her funding for a second class of S-IIs was dropped.

Quit trying to find loop holes. The matter of the fact is that they are S-III's, minus Jorge, and that NobleSix was at Pegasi, a S-III engagement.

im not trying to, im looking at all possibilitys, i can't say weather it has killed cannon until i see Halseys journel

Also, you guys are WAY off topic with the book disscussion
avatar
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Location : The reaches of Space
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Onyxknight on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:35 pm

I cant belive out of all the great books mentioned not of of 2001: A space odyessy or its seqals and i think the reason i havent got into enders game is becasue i didnt read the first book lol
avatar
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Age : 23
Location : wherever i want to be....maybe in your house o.O
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Ruski on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:45 pm

The book discussion is not off topic.
avatar
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1217
Age : 23
Location : Canton, Ohio
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Vtrooper on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Ruski... it says Halo:Reach as the title... not cetcher and the rye, The Great Gasby, or any of the none Halo books mentioned
avatar
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Location : The reaches of Space
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Onyxknight on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:31 pm

and your one to talk v?
avatar
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Age : 23
Location : wherever i want to be....maybe in your house o.O
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Ruski on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Vtrooper wrote:Ruski... it says Halo:Reach as the title... not cetcher and the rye, The Great Gasby, or any of the none Halo books mentioned

Most notably, however, is the similarities of the Mobile Infantry to the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers (ODSTs) of the Halo universe, particularly in the soldiers' drop pods, advanced armor and weapons, and an ongoing, seemingly hopeless battle with an advanced alien enemy.

Actually read it next time.
avatar
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1217
Age : 23
Location : Canton, Ohio
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Vtrooper on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Ruski wrote:
Vtrooper wrote:Ruski... it says Halo:Reach as the title... not cetcher and the rye, The Great Gasby, or any of the none Halo books mentioned

Most notably, however, is the similarities of the Mobile Infantry to the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers (ODSTs) of the Halo universe, particularly in the soldiers' drop pods, advanced armor and weapons, and an ongoing, seemingly hopeless battle with an advanced alien enemy.

Actually read it next time.

i HAVE both those books, theres no refrences AT ALL in either, in the Great Gasby WWI is barly mentioned AT ALL! and Cater in the Rye i can look to SEE if there are any refrences because its no less then a meter away
avatar
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Location : The reaches of Space
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 37 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum