zombie invasion?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: zombie invasion?

Post by PiEdude on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:52 pm

I'd also like to take the time to point out that while World War Z provides a more realistic version of the Zombie Apocalypse, particularly human behavior, it's really best viewed as a social commentary.
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Biting is a very slow way to transmit a disease

But transfer of fluids, especially with necrotic, diseased creatures whose very blood and skin tissue is a biohazard, is not so slow. Consider that the disease will likely have an incubation period, in which regular exchange of fluids such as sex and kissing and that sort of thing.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:the infectees are extremely easy to see

In the initial outbreak, zombies will not be easily recognized because people will do anything to justify their strange behavior. I believe rioting is a common explanation used in fiction for early outbreak. Afterwards, zombies will be easily confused with people who are simply in shock from a distance. Depending on the level of mental necrosis, zombies may very well be able to blend in somewhat until they achieve close proximity.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:assault rifles are easy to get

Right now, perhaps, but upon the initial panic, guns and ammunition will become a rare commodity. Looting will be rampant in the initial panic, and gun store owners will likely attempt to hoard their guns and ammo.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:and Zaki is (auch immer) forgetting all the barriers standing in the way of his apocalyptic visions.

Zaki is short sighted, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Namely, nuclear power

Nuclear power or nuclear weapons? I'm not sure if nuclear power would make much difference. Public infrastructure is still very fragile. Without regular maintenance, power and water would eventually go down. Nuclear weapons probably wouldn't be nearly as effective as traditional weapons, simply because radiation probably wouldn't have as devastating an effect on zombies.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:petroleum reserves

Oh, you're talking about Zaki's point that if India went down, the Middle East's petroleum market would crash. Ya, that's probably not true. Now, if the infection started in India, because of the overpopulation, crowded living spaces, and high poverty levels, we'd probably still be fucked, but I doubt the Middle East would collapse overnight, considering that Indians working in the Middle East aren't in India to be infected.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:the National Guard

I don't think the National Guard would be of much more use than the Reserves and Active Service stationed here at home.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:cell phones

Cell phones would be useful, but would also help spread the panic.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:and the fact that no nation on Earth would willingly let its petrol sources become endangered.

That doesn't mean that petrol sources couldn't become endangered.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Zaki is short sighted, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

not if its a digital clock, or if the minute or hour hand have fallen off

what if you dropped the clock and it smashed to pieces? are these pieces of a shattered clock supposed to stiff point out a specific time of the day?

what if the clock is off by 2 minutes? it will never be right. ever
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:34 am

PiEdude wrote:I'd also like to take the time to point out that while World War Z provides a more realistic version of the Zombie Apocalypse, particularly human behavior, it's really best viewed as a social commentary.
This is pretty much what I meant. Like I said, I'm only about 1/4 of the way through it so there hasn't been much actual Zombie attack descriptions yet. There have been some, but not many. The some that have happend only provide a general view of what we pretty much already view as a Zombie and what it does and how it acts etc etc.

Human behavior and reactions as far as Countrys and Governments, is what I meant by realistic. At least to me. but then again, I don't know much at all about Governments/Countrys and how they react to events of chaos. Once again, 1/4 of the way through. Maybe a little under 2/4. So maybe I have no room to talk yet. Razz
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:07 am

one thing in the way of Zombie invasion: Marines with E-tools
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JumpingJet on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:45 am

Hmm, I think we should -- *Cough Sneeze*--.......

What? Its only a cough....Right?
JumpingJet
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2009-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:58 am

In the Middle East, all low wage, low skill jobs are filled by importing indentured servants from India, Pakistan, and the Philippines. They live in camps with thousands of others with terrible conditions. These people used to live in the slums and sign contracts to get a job and support themselves.

3.1 million South Asians go to Saudi Arabia. All are immigrants.

83.5% of the population of the UAE are South Asian. All are immigrants.

39% of the population of Kuwait are South Asian. All are immigrants.

36% of Qatar's population are Indian and Pakistani. All are immigrants.

Should an outbreak occur in India, all of the above countries will be devastation. And all of those are major oil exporters. All of them export oil to countries all over the world. All of those countries have large amounts of American and British expats.

The chance of one of those expats taking back the disease is high.

The chance of one of those oil deckers that contain have Indian immigrants carrying the infection is high.

The only way to stop it from spreading is to stop oil trading, which makes oil prices surge especially considering 30% of their workforce has a large potential to be infected.. And that causes massive problems in the economy.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:20 pm

but how long does it take for the transport ships to reach their port? 2 days? 3 days? In that amount of time the zombies would very likely become apparent. Also, how often do those ships leave? It would probably require a pretty big coincidence for the zombie outbreak appearing in that particular slum just as a transport is arriving.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Canada has decided that if 28 Weeks Later zombies are the case, we'd be super fucked.

If it were the George Romero's slow zombies, we'd be slightly less fucked, still however, fucked.

But that's Canada.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:12 am

tiny tim wrote:but how long does it take for the transport ships to reach their port? 2 days? 3 days? In that amount of time the zombies would very likely become apparent. Also, how often do those ships leave? It would probably require a pretty big coincidence for the zombie outbreak appearing in that particular slum just as a transport is arriving.

3-4 days... It just depends on the incubation period. And it depends if there are carriers (people who are "immune" but can carry the disease).

And there is plenty of them who go by plane, these are indentured servants, but still originate from the same lifestyle. Its a 5-6 hour plane trip.

And should a slum have an outbreak, it wouldn't be noticed until someone starts looking into the matter. The country doesn't have enough utilities or manpower to search for the infection in each slum. Not to mention most Indians have never even thought of zombies and how to evade them. They won't know how to react. The police are few and spread out, the healthcare is thin, what can they do? And the lack of hygiene will only spread it faster.

Another, more plausible way it could spread is the "I Am Legend" way. Where it was a cure for cancer made by radiated measles cells that were hostile only to the cancer cells. This strain quickly mutated and became zombie-like.

The cure had be distributed widely and it was too late for anyone to stop it.

Zaki90
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:32 am

but also the I Am Legend thing didn't make zombies. It made things much closer to Vampires, that still retained their personality (for the most part) and eventually even began to reestablish order within themselves.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:17 am

And to a much greater degree in the original film the Omega man and the original book.

Their more vampiric mutants than anyting else.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:10 am

KristallNacht wrote:but also the I Am Legend thing didn't make zombies. It made things much closer to Vampires, that still retained their personality (for the most part) and eventually even began to reestablish order within themselves.

I know, the method of infection is what I was talking about. The method could be implemented as the cause of outbreak.

Zaki90
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:17 am

India maintains the third-largest military force in the world, which consists of the Indian Army, Navy, Air Force and auxiliary forces such as the Paramilitary Forces, the Coast Guard, and the Strategic Forces Command. The defence budget for 2010 stood at US$31.9 billion. India maintains close defence cooperation with Russia, Israel and France, who are the chief suppliers of arms.

Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:24 am

Zaki90 wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:but also the I Am Legend thing didn't make zombies. It made things much closer to Vampires, that still retained their personality (for the most part) and eventually even began to reestablish order within themselves.

I know, the method of infection is what I was talking about. The method could be implemented as the cause of outbreak.

I don't think retro-cancer treatment would turn you into a zombie, it'd more likely just kill you if it went wrong.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Ruski wrote:India maintains the third-largest military force in the world, which consists of the Indian Army, Navy, Air Force and auxiliary forces such as the Paramilitary Forces, the Coast Guard, and the Strategic Forces Command. The defence budget for 2010 stood at US$31.9 billion. India maintains close defence cooperation with Russia, Israel and France, who are the chief suppliers of arms.

Sure, but by the time the Indians react, the outbreak will be out of control and well spread. India is also a rather large tourist spot. Who knows how many tourists who were "assaulted by disgruntled locals" will fly home, kiss their wife and children good night and spread the virus even further. If the virus starts in India, we'll be proper fucked.

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:32 pm

well that also depends on the length of the incubation period, NVM that the CDC will and has closed down travel from a country the day a major disease has been found in that country.

so unless tourists were among the first people to be infected, and they leave IMMIDIATELY on a provate jet that doesn't stop in 10 more countries and takes 3 or 4 days to get home... the infection will not spread past country borders.

NVM a zombie virus that takes longer than the time it takes to travel from india to America would be relitavely easy to contain once the method of infection was figured out.

unless the virus was airbourne, it would pose no danger to the general public. Not to mention that any virus that completely wipes out memories and instincts of the host would ALSO wipe out the ability to walk, and other learned behavior.

so if you see a grown man laying on the ground, high fever, moving about with the same or less coordination than a toddler, who is attempting to bite you.... you better watch out! If you are stupid enough to get bitten by that, you deserve to be infected.

theres also the issue of Biting as a means of infection.... what movies don't seem to realize is that the strength of the human jaw muscle is nowhere near capable of biting through anything thicker than polyester.... Zombie apocalypse around? dress in layers! wear some jeans thick socks and boots! wear a baklava to cover the neck and face... hell, wear a scarf.

and if you want to argue against me on this point, I challenge you to wrap a scarf twice around a piece of chicken and try to bite it, notice how its not working? thats because HUMAN TEETH ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR PIERCING OR CUTTING, AND THE HUMAN JAW MUSCLE IS NOT MEANT FOR TRYING TO MAKE INEFFICIENT CUTTING TOOLS CUT SOMETHING THATS ONLY PURPOSE IS TO PROTECT OUR SKIN.

TL;DR Unless the virus is airbourne, you are absolutely in no danger if you have an IQ higher than that of a watermelon
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:57 pm

walking isn't necessarily a learned function.

Giraffes are born physically capable of walking, and no learning is required.

Whales are born knowing how to properly breath.

Monarch Butterflies are born with the knowledge of that place in Mexico they all go to, even when it's been generations since they went there.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:02 pm

humans are not born with the ability to walk, however... our bipedal movement takes a year to learn, and 3 years to master fully

the adult brain also learns at a speed MUCH slower than a child, so it would take zombies EVEN LONGER to re-learn to walk
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:10 pm

KrAzY wrote:humans are not born with the ability to walk, however... our bipedal movement takes a year to learn, and 3 years to master fully

the adult brain also learns at a speed MUCH slower than a child, so it would take zombies EVEN LONGER to re-learn to walk

The reason they can't when their young is there bones and joints haven't matured enough to support standing.

Not to mention that those "zombie snails" can still crawl after infecting their host. Who says a zombie can't posses the same ability to move its legs.

Zaki90
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:54 pm

because nearly a quarter of your brain mass is used only for balance and coordination

there is a HUGE difference between crawling and bipedal walking
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes, but the brain isn't damaged...

And when the brain is damaged, the zombie dies.

Isn't that Zombie 101.

Zaki90
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:41 pm

KrAzY wrote:humans are not born with the ability to walk, however... our bipedal movement takes a year to learn, and 3 years to master fully

i'm more sure its that the body can't support walking, not that the mind doesn't know how to.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:43 pm

you have to learn balance

which is why many Alzheimer's patients can not walk, despite being physically capable of walking
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:41 pm

The zombie virus causes necrosis in the brain, which damages the ability to perform higher brain functions. After years of walking, it no longer qualifies as a higher brain function. Zombies can't walk flawlessly, like humans, but they can still stumble along at a decent pace.

And considering how densely populated India is, I still don't think it will be nearly as easy to contain as you make it out to be. It's not like a zombie virus will be the first thing people assume. In fact, a viral disease won't even be the first assumption. If it starts in the slums of India, the first thing people will assume is "who cares?" and such whatnot. Disappearances and the like in the slums of India will pretty much be ignored for at least a week before it starts to affect tourism and the like, and by then, outbreaks will be occurring all over the world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top