Your ancestry

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Your ancestry

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 am

Angatar wrote:I can trace my moms side of the family back to a single town in sicily, and I know nothing about my dads side.

Something random though, I look extremely similar to the kid holding the sack in the photo.
Sicily? When did they leave to America?
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 am

tiny tim wrote:Dad's side: German, Russian, Czech.
Mom's side: English, Irish, Scottish.

All of my ancestor nations are constantly at war with each other...

I plan to track down more of my family's history, but I know somewhere on the Scottish part was a royal silversmith. And I know that on my dad's side my last name was changed to Ella from Eila. I prefer the old spelling and pronunciation.
Eila? My last name is Elia...
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JumpingJet on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am

Nocbl2 wrote:

I plan to track down more of my family's history, but I know somewhere on the Scottish part was a royal silversmith. And I know that on my dad's side my last name was changed to Ella from Eila. I prefer the old spelling and pronunciation.

Long lost family?
JumpingJet
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 2009-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm

i am part irish and native american on my mothers side and norweigan on my fathers side. all that i know is my mothers great aunt was 100% cherokee and my father had a great uncle that served on the U.S.S Enterprise as far as my father knows to the battle of midway
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

As an Irish/English descendant, I nearly killed myself when I had to fill out the information on the SAT, and they were asking me to state my religion. Catholic? Anglican? Catholic? Anglican?

And as a German/Polish, don't get me STARTED on what happens when I listen to Wagner.

My family didn't participate in war much, but my great-uncle Bob spent five years over there and came back... changed. He's a recluse, and I've only ever met him a handful of times. Nobody can get him to talk about what he did over there, though I intend to find out one of these days.
Great-uncle Albert, however, was in Korea before he was, and is probably more talkative about it.

Kind of sad. Look at the rate we're losing WWI veterans, and imagine a day when the generation that fought Korea and WWII have perished.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 pm

JumpingJet wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:

Long lost family?

Please God don't let me be related to that...

And Rasq, We actually lost the last WWI Vet earlier this week. He was 110 years old, and enlisted when he was 16.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:19 pm

tiny tim wrote:
JumpingJet wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:

Long lost family?

Please God don't let me be related to that...

And Rasq, We actually lost the last WWI Vet earlier this week. He was 110 years old, and enlisted when he was 16.
Last American WWI vet.
Wikipedia
Last I checked that page, there were at least seven vets...
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:36 pm

Last one died.

German and french earlier this year I believe.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Last one died.

German and french earlier this year I believe.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:26 pm

When I said "we" I meant America. No one cares about the last two British Veterans.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:32 pm

tiny tim wrote:When I said "we" I meant America. No one cares about the last two British Veterans.
I wish I could express how truly disappointed I am. I really wish I could.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm

110 years old though

Those fuckers just didn't want to die eh?

Tough old fuckers till the end. Salute to them.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:02 pm

X-Erks me when people refer to hispanics as Mexicans, not all are Mexican

Y- dood, who cares?

X- Outta everyones duuuumb statuses you choose to invade mine with ignorance, figures

Y- Ignorance is believing there is a distinction among us to be made. I don't feel personally entitled to any additional classification, Hispanic or otherwise, do you?

As a Hispanic would be personally offended as a human being if someone else was, for some reason obliged to use the extra brain power to make this non-distinction you mention, rather then worry about actual important stuff.

X- See previous X comment

Y-Wake up Wake up Wake up its the first of the month?

X- A song, tuesday was the first of the month, listen to the song, outside of the weed references it went with my situation talks about workin etc, and i meant look at wat i just said to your comment, it still stands

Y-What, how I picked on your one comment among the millions made every second on FB? Or that it's laced with ignorance somehow?

X- Si senior, i say something good and or contructive and you find the need to negate it, i was on the side of most hispanics who hate bein called mexican and u hv to say something that throws it off, hmm

Z- Point being Hispanics do get highly offended when called mexicans or any latin based name that is not their origin.... and the other point being everyone does care. the end.

X-‎^^^^

Y- Ok, let's put it like this, how much good has come from racial classification in any form in the entire history of man? Once you have that figure, weigh it to how much bad has come about from racial classification...

It's not good or constructive dood, gee whiz. Thinking there are inherent differences among man, and that we should all be obliged to acknowledge these differences is not constructive, despite popular preconception.

Because these Hispanics you mention are thrown off because A. They are called Mexican (which implies that there is something wrong with being a Mexican), and B. Believe there is some advantage to being whatever they are and not a Mexican and that we all ought to know. People that think this matters in the grand scheme of things, and take pride or concern themselves with what are essentially neutral inequalities aren't the ones YOU should worry about. Thinking this is constructive irks me.

Z-no no no they dont think they is anything worn with being mexican its taking pride in have individuality you know heritage...people take pride in being individuals but obiviously not you... enjoy being simple minded

X- Your retort still is stupid because YOU my sir are a hypocrit, just bcuz you want to be the antiX u see past everyone elses duuimb statuses and seem to want to get on mine, had Susie Q said it or Joe Shmoe, u would not care, but because X said it u want to chop me down, that sir is stupid, wat makes "ooo i cant wait to party this weekend" constructive, or "ooo these wings at (enter college cafe) are delicious" do please hush

Z- lol...

Y- But Z, indeviduality =/= heritage, if your taking pride in your great great great great grandparents existence, and not your own accomplishments and your own existence, then your reveling in the fact that you are descended from someone else, which is the antithesis of being your own man and individualistic.

I take pride in being an individual, which is why I don't associate myself with any race or creed. The reason why I never disclose my race is because I do not want people unintentionally building preconceptions by association, thereby distorting my individuality.

I want it 100% X, 100% of the time, dig?

Z- you totally missed the point i was making and ur right indeviduality =/= heritage... but individuality does... heritage makes up a background of someone who they are as a person aka individuality... like i said enjoy being simple minded...you choosing not to associate youreself with what makes you an individual and saying you want 100& Y all the time doesnt in the slightest make you an individual it only makes you arrogant so deffiantly have fun with that

Y- ‎"Your retort still is stupid because YOU my sir are a hypocrit, just bcuz you want to be the antiX"

Trielond, the fact that I waded through everyone else's commentary, and responded to yours means that I have a higher regard what you have to say.

Also, how is what I said hypocritical? Or antiX? Yikes, there ain't no antiX Facebook conspiracy.

Z, I take pride in the fact that I can draw pictures well, and make good grades in school and stuff like that, not that I born in B country or that my parents were born somewhere. I guess belonging to a race or nationality, a larger whole is individualistic while not the properties that make you, solely you like artistic affinity, sense of humor, temperament, mannerisms etc.

Z- haha i think it halarious that youre turning an entire conversation that was soley about ethnicity and made it about talents im not talking about talents... which again proves that you dont understand but thats okay X... i for one know youare talented at drawing ok thats great but not what i was talking about. im done talking here lol

X- At the end of the day made a simple statement, not all hispanics are mexicans, being of mexican decent is not bad, but not all are. The End

Y- ‎"Heritage makes up a background of someone who they are as a person aka individuality."

Well, I wasn't born with knowledge of my forbearers or an ability to speak their native language, so no, heritage in the strictly biological sense, carries no weight in your ability to be whatever you want. I could have been adoptive by Chinese parents and they could have taught me their ways, it's not like I'll start speaking Spanish or Hindi all of the sudden. Thinking that it does is wholly constrictive, the same reasoning that prevents children of the Shudra caste from becoming a Brahman.

Y- ‎"haha i think it halarious that youre turning an entire conversation that was soley about ethnicity and made it about talents."

Actually Z, if I may rebuttal that statement, this exchange was primarily on taking pride in construct level classifications, i.e. taking offense to being called X and taking pride in being Y in the phylogenic sense and not the Nationalistic one (as most Hispanics that Trielond refer to are, I assume, naturalized American citizens and not natives to whatever country they take offense or pride in being associated with). My point is that my pride is seeded in my own defining elements and talents, and not my heritage (history and actions that occurred before I was born), so indeed what I said was completely on topic.

I happen to think your talents are more a defining elements in ones individuality then where there great great grandparents were born, you know, heritage?

C- shut up man yes dey is....

Y-If you would please elaborate Mr. Bowden?
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeve on Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Wanna know how the Hyslope name came to being? (Yeah, that's my last name Razz)

Well...back in Ireland and some of Scotland, there lived these people who lived on very high hills. Well, in order to get into the villages nearby, they would slope down the hills, thus giving them the names Highslopes which soon changed to Hyslope. Smile
Maeve
Crimson Chick

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2010-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:02 pm

Oh.
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Maeve wrote:Wanna know how the Hyslope name came to being? (Yeah, that's my last name Razz)

Well...back in Ireland and some of Scotland, there lived these people who lived on very high hills. Well, in order to get into the villages nearby, they would slope down the hills, thus giving them the names Highslopes which soon changed to Hyslope. Smile
Names are always fun. Example: "Warren" refers to the burrows of small animals, meaning that either my english ancestors hunted those animals, or they were game wardens for landowners.

Anybody else?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyApothecary on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:02 am

NOTE: YOU WILL NEVER KNOW!

Last edited by GreyApothecary on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
GreyApothecary
Minion

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 am

I would imagine that Cobbold was originally Cobbled and thus has something to do with cobbling.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Maeve wrote:Wanna know how the Hyslope name came to being? (Yeah, that's my last name Razz)

Names are always fun. Example: "Warren" refers to the burrows of small animals, meaning that either my english ancestors hunted those animals, or they were game wardens for landowners.

Anybody else?

Or your descended from mole rats

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 am

my mom's side is Woods, so maybe they lived in the woods?
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

Or they were lumberjacks, bane of the woods.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Maeve on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Ok guys...I had my laugh...

My story was complete bullshit I tell people all the time. Razz

Had ya going didn't I?
Maeve
Crimson Chick

Female Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2010-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:13 am

Dad: Italian

Mom: Italian, Native American, Ukrainian, British, French, and German

i know one of my great grand fathers was a Indian Chief

from my dads side, they were olive farmers if i recall, and the farms still there but no owned by my family
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RX on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:50 am

But jokes aside, I really have no idea about my ancestry, and that annoys me a slight bit, since I'd really like to know more.
But before that day, I will continue to refer to the above picture.
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2008-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top