Halo 4

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Halo 4

Post by KristallNacht on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Ring....the Prometheans have a reason why they look like that.....and its covered in the story...

well not specifically why the crawlers and watchers are like that, but I would just say thats for variety.
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm scared of them, they have spooky monster faces.
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 pm

If graphics and aesthetics are your number one concern, it must be a pretty good game. I think Halo 3, ODST, and Reach had better visuals, but Halo 4 still beats most games by a long shot.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:29 pm

I liked Halo 1 Visuals the best and 2's visuals the least, Halo 3's Style (with the Exception of ODST) i didn't like because everything looked so damn shiny and made of Plastic. Reaches I like, It wasn't supposed to look the same, it was Bungie showing anyone who picked up the franchise what they could do with the visual style without going over the top.

dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 pm

I liked Halo 3's visuals a lot. They were vibrant, beautiful, and atmospheric.

I actually just played Halo 2 a few minutes ago and I definitely agree it had the worst visuals of them all (especially in the first three levels). They improve a lot as the game continues, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:57 pm

it was also not on the 360....it was trying to pull a lot of graphical power from an underpowered box. Halo was beautiful in its simplicity, but was hardly better graphics than halo 2.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm

No, but Halo: CE's visual style was closer to the rest of the franchise. Halo 2 had better graphics, but there wasn't a whole lot to look at. Like I said, though, it got better as the game went on.

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm

they were trying to do a lot with a little
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm

In Terms of Better Graphics or Better Looks better looks usually wins, Just because they got overambitious with the graphics doesn't mean they needed to make everything so bumpy and disgusting looking, and Like Civ said the Graphics got better as the game went on, The Temple on Delta Halo looked great for instance.

Look at 360 games today, they push the Console to its limits by trying to do more with the same technology they have had for years, Eventually you get really good at doing more with less. In Contrast PC games don't have to worry about being stuck with the same old hardware. Though if you turned say Skyrim's graphic settings down all the way on a PC it looks worst than Morrowind but doesn't run half as well in some cases.

dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:22 pm

ooh, the new spartan ops actually takes you to multiplayer maps and not just rehashed campaign spots
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 am

Played through the first three levels and I'm half-way through the fourth.

Overall, the story has been decent. It doesn't explain any of the background to it, though, so even I feel a bit lost at times.

Spoiler:
It probably helps that I haven't read up on the didact at all and I have yet to finish reading Grasslands or even begin Primordium. I also didn't read too much into the terminals of Halo 3 - just enough to get the gist of it.

Objectives have felt a bit monotonous at times and I often find myself wondering "what am I supposed to be doing again?" or "how could they have possibly put A and B together and decided that?".

The story just keeps driving along and I sometimes wonder if 343i forgot it would actually have an audience. Still, the story and environment is interesting enough to keep going (albeit unimaginative and a tad cliche). Hopefully the trips and misses are only a result of 343i trying to move away from Bungie without loosing much of the fanbase.

Prometheans suck as enemies. Honestly, I don't like them at all. Above all else, battling prometheans feels like a chore to me. The knights and flyers don't really have a weak spot and more-or-less just soak up bullets. The tactic is always the same, regardless of the map or environment: kill the dogs with a rifle, destroy all turrets and flyers with a rifle, and use whatever you have left to deal with the knights in the end. Aside from the extremely-aggravating dogs, there are no special weak spots or good weapon combinations to use. There is no tactical advantage. For me, there just isn't anything fun about them.

The music isn't as glorious and Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, but it isn't bad. Halo 4 almost seems embarrassed by its music and elects to loop simply ambiance in the background rather than push through into the story and battles. Even in the cutscenes, there is a definite lack of musical buildup.

The gun sounds (aside from the Promethean weapons and AR) are actually much nicer than I originally thought, so I take back what I said about the gun sounds being poor. However, I don't care for the new warthog engine sound at all.

Weapons themselves are a disappointment, though. The UNSC, Covenant, and Promethan arsenals are almost just copies of each other now. In previous Halos, many weapons seemed to have 'alternates' (sniper/beam rifle, BR/carbine, AR/plasma repeater, SMG/plasma rifle, rocket launcher/fuel rod), but Halo 4 almost goes out of its way to remove many of the unique weapons while simultaneously adding alternates to existing weapons.

To illustrate my point, here are all the 'new' weapons I've encountered thus far:
> Light Rifle - alternate to the BR, DMR, and Carbine
> Binary Rifle - alternate to Sniper Rifle and Beam Rifle (which, IMO, are even more similar than before)
> Scattershot - alternate to Shotgun
> Suppressor - alternate to Assault Rifle
> Storm Rifle - alternate to Assault Rifle

I like the boltshot and pulse grenades, but the rest of the new weapons just feel underwhelming. They don't serve much of a purpose other than to simply add guns. Meanwhile, there is no grenade launcher, plasma rifle, mauler, spiker, focus rifle, needle rifle, flame thrower, or SMG. Some of those loose their purpose without dual-wield but, honestly, I would really like to see dual-wield return to Halo. I can always put in a Call of Duty if I want to use generic weapons.

The armor abilities are mostly fine. My only concern there is that I can't get a Recon controller scheme that puts sprint on the left bumper and armor ability on X (instead of the opposite, which it's stuck on).

Vehicles are also a bit of a let-down for me. I haven't had the opportunity to play with the mantis yet, but I sorely miss the chopper and specter. It also pains me to see the banshee is, once again, the only flying vehicle in multiplayer. Additionally, vehicle weapons feel like they've been bolstered, but armor peels off to even standard small arms fire.

Flood Infection looks interesting; however, I dislike how the old infection has been removed (thus preventing players from being able to create many of the great custom games of Halo 3 and Reach). I also haven't played Spartan Ops yet, but I feel like it wont be a satisfying replacement for firefight in the long run. Then again, I didn't play firefight too much in Reach so I could very well be wrong.

Finally, back in the campaign, there have been two final problems which have bugged me more than others. 1) Weapons despawn from the map, and they do so very quickly. 2) The campaign constantly forces you into points of no return (as in, you cannot move backwards after this point). Both of these have put me in very frustrating and difficult situations many many times, and I'm only three levels in.

Overall, it's a good game. The story is rough at times and the gameplay certainly isn't my favorite of the Halos, but it's still pretty, interesting, and generally fun. It's not groundbreaking, not special, and certainly not "the best Halo yet" as IGN would have you believe. But it's still fun and I enjoy playing it.

Oh, and does the art style in Halo 4 depress anyone else? It's pretty, but it just feels gloomy throughout.

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 am

well there aren't brutes, so why have brute weapons? The needle rifle was just another dmr weapon anyway, grenade launcher is better as the sticky detonator.

In general about the 'uniqueness' there are really only so many types of weapons in real life too.

but the other concerns are practical. I guess the specialization things might be able to be a little op in MP. a buddy of mine says his operator spec is almost to the point where his ghost can take a rocket and be fine.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 am

It's "Glasslands" Civ. I find it interesting that everyone forgets the title of the book in front of them...

I agree with everything about the Prometheans. I did find that Plasma Pistols are good if you can find them. Actually, I find myself agreeing with most of what you said. The music was very meh. It didn't really pop out at all, unlike this scene.

I think the glum art style is supposed to make things boring. That might sound weird, but it is supposed to inspire a feeling of exhaustion. You've been fighting for forty years of your life. What else would you feel in that situation? It also makes it a bit frantic, and almost claustrophobic at times. You just want to get out, any way you can. Not sure if it was intended, but if so, it was done very well.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 am

Im currently doing my legendary run between classes, work, and homework.

So far its fairly easy. I've been noob combo-ing everything through the first 3 levels and halfway through the 4th. The only parts that are a pain in the ass for me are when i have to fly banshees... They're paper thin and everything keeps on shooting it. >Sad

Anyways, I find that the easiest way to beat the knights and the whirlys/watchers is to take out their shields with either a plasma based weapon, shotgun, or overcharge of the boltshot, then Headshot.

The hardest enemy in the game though, its a tie between the watchers and hunters surprisingly...

The watchers fly way out of range when their shields drain EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. It doesnt help that the Knights like to fire at you while you try to kill the damn thing. =P

Now for hunters, the one thing i was surprised about was how fast they now are in close range. Like those bitches are hard to dodge. I find that the easiest way to kill those is to spam explosives, but being that those weapons are pretty limited i try using a full auto gun or shotgun and tip toe around these guys. Like i said though, these bitches are deceptively fast now. It's awesome cause hunters were never truly challenging until now. =D

I'll make a post about Multiplayer in a bit.

.:Live Life, Love Life:.
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 am

KristallNacht wrote:well there aren't brutes, so why have brute weapons? The needle rifle was just another dmr weapon anyway, grenade launcher is better as the sticky detonator.
The needle rifle is distinct from the DMR in that it is a three-shot-kill weapon wherever you hit an opponent, but is useless against vehicles.
I feel that they could have made the Needle Rifle even more distinct in Halo 4 by including more unshielded enemies and removing the Light Rifle/DMR.

KristallNacht wrote:In general about the 'uniqueness' there are really only so many types of weapons in real life too.
Which completely ignores the fact that we're talking about Covenant and Forerunner weapons as well. Different technology is going to lead to different weapons... otherwise, we'd still be fighting with spears and clubs.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:28 am

KristallNacht wrote:well there aren't brutes, so why have brute weapons?
Yah.... I miss the brutes Sad

and the chopper Sad

Nocbl2 wrote:It's "Glasslands" Civ.
Ooops >.>

I haven't had time to read any of it for almost a year now, so I'm quickly falling behind on the lore. Apparently I can't even remember the titles now.

Like I said, it's definitely possible that these missteps will be remedied later on. 343i is picking up in the middle of a series, after all, and there are some general ideas about game design which 343i might want to change about Halo or simply do not have the experience to recognize yet. As their first game, I would call Halo 4 a success and I hope to see improvements in the future. As long as 343i is open to input from the community, the next two Halos could be awesome games.

-------

http://www.thecrimsonflame.com/viewtopic.forum?t=4859

Last edited by CivBase on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40