South Park: The Stick of Truth

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Post by Gauz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:16 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park:_The_Stick_of_Truth

Normally I would dismiss something so silly, but upon closer inspection I found who is developing this game...

OBSIDIAN ENTERTAINMENT

Holy shit I'm sold! They're like Bioware except still good!

Here's a video:

Last edited by Gauz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth

Post by Lord Pheonix on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:17 pm

I found Kotor 2 to be better than Kotor 1(with all the content in the game restored)

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah, that's because Obsidian Entertainment has arguably one of the best writing teams out there.

I mean, Kotor 2, Fallout: New Vegas (Yes it WAS better than Fallout 3), Alpha Protocol (despite the reviews), and if you trace their roots they used to be apart of one of the best RPG-making game companies ever.

So... Obsidian writing team + South Park creators = Win
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 pm

What's wrong with Bioware? (please don't say "the Mass Effect 3 ending")

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 pm

They're not quite what they used to be.

Obsidian on the other hand is great, always.

Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Gauz wrote:They're not quite what they used to be.

Yeah, okay. I'll take your word for it.

=/

.:Live Life, Love Life:.
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Spekwyse wrote:

Yeah, okay. I'll take your word for it.

=/
Well I think Obsidian speaks for itself, they made Kotor 2, brought Fallout back to Fallout with New Vegas, made Alpha Protocol (it's good), are making Wasteland 2 (the reason fallout exists), and now this. They also came from Black Isle studios who developed games like Fallout, and Fallout 2, and published games like Baldurs Gate (developed by Bioware, but w/e).

In short, they have a history of making really good RPG's, and have an excellent writing team.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:55 pm

I like Obsidian, but do i think they make Bioware looks like shit? No...

A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:00 am

Fantastic. I don't think Obsidian needs to do anything to make Bioware look like shit though, they do it on their own without help from third parties.

If I don't want threads to be derailed I should stop making such provocative comments >_> I can't help myself though.

On-topic: I wonder what the combat system will be like. Methinks turn-based like a JRPG.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RX on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:01 am

Spekwyse wrote:I like Obsidian, but do i think they make Bioware looks like shit? No...
He just said that they're not what they used to be, he didn't say they were shit in comparison.
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2008-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am

Edit: dont care anymore

A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 am

Whats wrong with Fallout 3?
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:34 am

A few mistakes knocked BioWare down in a lot of people's 'top dev' list, but I would hardly consider them bad for it. In fact, I would contend that BioWare is still quite good.

Gauz wrote:Well I think Obsidian speaks for itself, they made Kotor 2, brought Fallout back to Fallout with New Vegas, made Alpha Protocol (it's good), are making Wasteland 2 (the reason fallout exists), and now this. They also came from Black Isle studios who developed games like Fallout, and Fallout 2, and published games like Baldurs Gate (developed by Bioware, but w/e).
Still playing Kotor, so I can't say anything for the squeal yet.

I preferred Fallout 3 to New Vegas and I don't see how they "brought Fallout back to Fallout" with it. Fallout 1 and 2 were sky-cam, 2D, sprite adventure games. New Vegas was much more like Elder Scrolls than its predecessors - Obsidian just added on a few bells and whistles to the Fallout formula Bethesda gave them and put New Vegas in a new environment.

I've heard that Alpha Protocol was just okay.

Nothing else you said really affects the quality of Obsidian. If anything, you only gave a boost to BioWare by mentioning Baldurs Gate.

Gauz wrote:If I don't want threads to be derailed I should stop making such provocative comments >_> I can't help myself though.
Quite. I'll let this be my last comment on the issue, then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas had different endings. In Fallout 3 from doing the main quest you either got a cartoonishly evil or good ending, based on what you did with the FEV.

I played the game with good karma all the way through, but President Eden literally tricked me into the bad ending. The way he described the bad ending made it sound good, like you were 'cleaning' the wasteland of all mutants, failing to mention every person counted as a mutant. So despite being positive karma, I was the evilest motherfucker around for that.

Fallout New Vegas had multiple different endings, all of them being different shades of grey, not just black and white like Fallout 3. Not only, but they went back to the Fallout 1 and 2 scheme of having a slideshow showing over 30 topics, each topic with several different slides depending on what you did during the game. It had hundreds of combinations for the ending, and all of them just "felt" like Fallout.

The Brotherhood of Steel in fallout 3 was also really lame, because they were exactly the opposite of the Brotherhood of Steel in everything else. They were philanthropist idiots who decided to help the wasteland from some misplaced sense of justice. The Brotherhood is an organization of aloof isolationists who only care about pre-war military technology. The Brotherhood in Fallout 3 decided to help the wasteland and even focused on fixing Project Purity, a WATER PURIFIER?! When the fuck would the brotherhood ever give a shit about a fucking water purifier, much less help out the savage assholes in the wasteland. It makes no sense, Bethesda could have still had the Brotherhood fight the Enclave in Fallout 3 and still have the Brotherhood follow canon.

Also there were very few 'fun' quests and the dialogue was pretty bad.

Oh, also, did I mention that you have to sacrifice yourself at the end of the game to activate the purifier? Why though, you have Fawkes, a super mutant who is immune to radiation, right there. Fawkes could literally save the wasteland by taking the radiation, and he did it before to retrive the geck, but he's like "NO MAN YOU DO IT!" Okay asshole, it's a shitty ending anyway, I don't want to live.

Then Bethesda realized their ending was shitty so they decided to completely get rid of it and make a DLC for a new ending! Except it wasn't much better...

The battle for the hoover damn was much better than the battle with liberty prime against the enclave. All the choices you made in the game affected that battle on the damn, when no matter what you do in Fallout 3 you still just have Liberty Prime killing everything for you, while you just keep up a pace with him doing virtually nothing.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I love south park, this looks like a very fun game
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Gauz wrote:Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas had different endings. In Fallout 3 from doing the main quest you either got a cartoonishly evil or good ending, based on what you did with the FEV.

There's not just two Endings for Fallout 3 buddy there was a Minimum of Four (Evil Sacrifice, Good Sacrifice, Lyons and Just letting the Damn thing Blow) before Broken Steel and Five After (Added in the Fawkes, Charon and Rl3 to do it for you). The Main Quest has no room for Shades of Gray int he ending your restoring Fresh water to a Barren wasteland, The Brotherhood already stated its intention of distributing it for free once its over and done with Whatever so your only option is to Poison it with the FEV to make only Humans untouched by the in any significant way by the Wasteland Survive which arguably if you don't like anyone you have met in the game that's the Option to take. There is also the Option to not do anything and just Let Purity explode which is the Chaotic Neutral Ending.

Gauz wrote:
I played the game with good karma all the way through, but President Eden literally tricked me into the bad ending. The way he described the bad ending made it sound good, like you were 'cleaning' the wasteland of all mutants, failing to mention every person counted as a mutant. So despite being positive karma, I was the evilest motherfucker around for that.

Every Person does not Count as a Mutant and Eventually they'd figure out the Purifier is churning out poison anyway. Megaton doesn't just drop dead out of the blue, you have a nuke for that Twisted Evil . The Narrators tone is there to support your choice in endings so you don't feel like the game is yelling at you for being bad. All the Endings in New Vegas except the NCR one sounded almost condescending as if i made the 'wrong' choice, and If you choose the Yes Man the Game practically hates your guts at the end credits.

Gauz wrote:
Fallout New Vegas had multiple different endings, all of them being different shades of grey, not just black and white like Fallout 3. Not only, but they went back to the Fallout 1 and 2 scheme of having a slideshow showing over 30 topics, each topic with several different slides depending on what you did during the game. It had hundreds of combinations for the ending, and all of them just "felt" like Fallout.

You are really on about this ending thing, I for one can care less about how a game ends as long as the Journey is good. New Vegas has fine Endings but as i Said above, its just annoying how it basically wants you to choose NCR in addition to knowing in the back of your head, if there is a cannon ending the NCR one is probably it. I enjoyed the Slide show but i hardly think it makes Fallout New Vegas a more enjoyable game than Fallout 3.

Gauz wrote:
The Brotherhood of Steel in fallout 3 was also really lame, because they were exactly the opposite of the Brotherhood of Steel in everything else. They were philanthropist idiots who decided to help the wasteland from some misplaced sense of justice. The Brotherhood is an organization of aloof isolationists who only care about pre-war military technology. The Brotherhood in Fallout 3 decided to help the wasteland and even focused on fixing Project Purity, a WATER PURIFIER?! When the fuck would the brotherhood ever give a shit about a fucking water purifier, much less help out the savage assholes in the wasteland. It makes no sense, Bethesda could have still had the Brotherhood fight the Enclave in Fallout 3 and still have the Brotherhood follow canon.

They have a Reason for all of that, and there still is a brotherhood who are technology crazed assholes. Those Brotherhood are called outcasts and they literally serve no purpose in the game besides taking technology off your hands for payment, because that's about the extent they would serve in Fallout 3 if they were like the western brotherhood just trying to take your stuff or buy your stuff, hardly interesting.

The reason the EBoS (Eastern Brotherhood of Steel) Are Philanthropic because when they arrived in Washington DC the nations capitol of all places they saw what Three dog saw, Hell itself. The West Coast had some problems too but at that time there was the NCR which was already bringing order to the land. The Brotherhood went about Helping clean up the area and winning the populace to their side. Now at this time i'm pretty sure the whole BoS NCR war was raging in the west, If they knew anything about this they may have wanted to get the people on their side so that doesn't happen to them. When word of the Purifier reached them they saw it as the perfect opportunity to win the hearts and minds of the Local populace. They Abandoned protecting the project when they saw they were loosing more men than they could replace defending the damn thing.

Then at some point they Schismed on what their direction should be. One group was conservative and wanted to be pricks and just get technology, The other backed by almost the entire brotherhood wanted to help people. Why? because at this point they had to recruit locally for one and two people have hearts you know they carry themselves like knights so why not protect the people?

Gauz wrote:
Also there were very few 'fun' quests and the dialogue was pretty bad.

This isn't Mass Effect, I don't play Bethesda games to see perfect Voice acting and Lip Synching. It was a General Improvement from Oblivion's voice acting which was just a mess, They shouldn't have had to in an open world game that's rather large already overhaul the conversation system more than they already did.

No Fun Quests? Wasteland Survival Guide, Take it Back, Tranquility Lane, Power of the Atom, Stealing Independence, Strictly Business, Those!, Blood Ties, You Gotta Shoot em in the Head. All of the Top of my head.

Gauz wrote:
Oh, also, did I mention that you have to sacrifice yourself at the end of the game to activate the purifier? Why though, you have Fawkes, a super mutant who is immune to radiation, right there. Fawkes could literally save the wasteland by taking the radiation, and he did it before to retrive the geck, but he's like "NO MAN YOU DO IT!" Okay asshole, it's a shitty ending anyway, I don't want to live.

Then Bethesda realized their ending was shitty so they decided to completely get rid of it and make a DLC for a new ending! Except it wasn't much better...

You know you can Send in Lyons to do it and you don't die.
Its a bit dumb you had to die in the ending and seems a little random, That part of the Main quest bothered me a bit but i Hardly think it makes the game suck. With Broken Steel you can send Fawkes in and its all cool. Broken Steele however wasn't a 'new ending' it was a full blown expansion pack, It added another fourth of the main story and gave you the option to see the aftermath of your decision at the purifier, Something New Vegas doesn't have, not even added with an expansion pack, curious.

Gauz wrote:
The battle for the hoover damn was much better than the battle with liberty prime against the enclave. All the choices you made in the game affected that battle on the damn, when no matter what you do in Fallout 3 you still just have Liberty Prime killing everything for you, while you just keep up a pace with him doing virtually nothing.

That's all your choices did because the entire main storyline was based around getting help for either side on the Hoover dam. that's literally the Main story of new Vegas, Get shot, Wake up in Western Town, Go to New Vegas, Meet House, Pick a side and start recruiting, Battle of Hoover Dam, Profit.

If you don't want Liberty Prime ruining all the fun run ahead of him, and try shooting the Enclave in fortified positions with only fractions of their armor sticking out to be shot. Its a Storm the Castle Moment, you don't need to do anything because its buildup for the Final Bossfight which actually has some potential to be hard if you take a difficulty higher than normal. Liberty Primes kill everything walk to the Jefferson Monument is one of the Most Memorable moments of Fallout 3. if not The number 1 most memorable moment.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

I went on about the endings because they're supposed to be good to make the entire experience good. F:NV was just in all ways more similar to Fallout and Fallout 2 (because Obsidian made all 3) and it does feel more like Fallout.

The whole BS (Brotherhood of Steel) thing can be justified by "Oh man it's so sad out here :c" but it really doesn't. I mean, even the game says "The Capital Wasteland chapter is rogue, and the Lost Hills BS HQ refuses to support them, although still recognizes them as part of the BS (probably because they have power armor, otherwise they're totally different)"

Obsidian I just think did a better job with F:NV of making it a "Fallout" game.
They just know their shit, that's all.

Anyway this is getting really off-topic and if you want to debate this you should make a thread for it, although I don't really think it's necessary :/
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:53 pm

2 pages into the thread and the only comment even referencing this game is mine, should I change the title of the thread?
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:02 pm

No, it won't happen anymore, sorry.

Btw, I made a comment wondering about the combat system! It looks turnbased to be, from what I saw in the video.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:07 pm

I'll make a comment on the game.

Game looks exactly like the show and the turn based style looks fun.

My only concern us the Obsidian curse in which they always have bugs in them.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:21 pm

It looks to be a 2D turn-based scroller, I don't see why/how major technical problems could/would possibly arise from that.

Last edited by Gauz on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : speringu!)
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:52 pm

yeah, I agree with gauz, seems like something you would need to botch very heavy to cause a technical bug in the gameplay
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Obsidian has a track record.

Just one syntax error...

But if there are no bugs, I predict JRPG goodness.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm

If it were a syntax error, they wouldn't even be able to compile. Would have to be a logical error.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:34 pm

It just looks like Matt Stone and Trey Parker payed a company a lot of money to make their ideas into a game lol.

I am okay with this.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next