Coding

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Coding

Post by Nocbl2 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 pm

I want to get into coding... but I don't really know where to start. I've done a few google searches but the answers to my questions have all been varying. From what I understand I should start out with Python or C or C/++. Do any of you folks have helpful tutorials, etc.?
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Coding

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:20 pm

I would start with C++ for basics and Java to get into object-oriented, then move to C#. Dunno about tutorials, though.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:01 pm

Take classes for it in school.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:58 pm

C++ for dummies book.

Those kinds of things really help lay the ground work for you to build real knowledge ontop of i'm sure.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:14 pm

I heard that Visual Basic is like... the easiest one to use and the best one to start with
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Visual Basic is too easy. You might as well just start with C++. The fewer languages you have to hop, the better you'll be initially.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I have an AWESOME project i'm working on myself but I am refraining from showing till I have results.

And am relatively sure I can do it....

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:57 pm

How deep into coding do you intend to get?

If you want to become a super good programmer (games and the like), learn C (not to be confused with C++). It will be much harder at first, but a grounding in C will give you the incite you need to dominate almost any other language (except assembly). From here, Java or C++ would be a good next step. Personally, Java is my favorite language and the core syntax is exactly like C. Java is much more user friendly, works the same regardless of your OS, and it comes with a massive library of pre-developed functions that make life MUCH easier. C++ is much more memory efficient, though, so it's better for game design.

If you just want to know low level programming (calculators, file moving, etc), go with Python. Python is a very user-friendly language and its syntax tends to keep things short and sweet, without any boiler plate code. It exploits a lot of shortcuts, though, which can be misleading or lead to sloppy coding in other languages.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:52 am

CivBase wrote:How deep into coding do you intend to get?

If you want to become a super good programmer (games and the like), learn C (not to be confused with C++). It will be much harder at first, but a grounding in C will give you the incite you need to dominate almost any other language (except assembly). From here, Java or C++ would be a good next step. Personally, Java is my favorite language and the core syntax is exactly like C. Java is much more user friendly, works the same regardless of your OS, and it comes with a massive library of pre-developed functions that make life MUCH easier. C++ is much more memory efficient, though, so it's better for game design.

If you just want to know low level programming (calculators, file moving, etc), go with Python. Python is a very user-friendly language and its syntax tends to keep things short and sweet, without any boiler plate code. It exploits a lot of shortcuts, though, which can be misleading or lead to sloppy coding in other languages.
Yeah, I was teaching myself Python in my Computers class (for some reason they didn't teach us coding... lolz) and it seemed pretty easy. But I guess that's because, as you said, it uses lots of shortcuts.

I guess I'll go buy C and C++ for dummies.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top