PlayStation 4

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: PlayStation 4

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:31 am

Speaking of Microsoft, the STB King, the Xbox 360 is STB capable. AT&T U-verse allows customers to use their 360 as a STB for their TV. They just need to get a little coax to ethernet converter box from AT&T and a special remote for the 360 and they're all set.

As for consoles pushing game companies, I'm not really sure how you can justify that statement. Maybe a decade ago, but today? What modern console games have been pushing the limits on traditional game design or storytelling due to hardware constraints? The only games I see pushing any kind of limits on game design or storytelling have been Indie games like Thomas Was Alone, and that's a PC game.

Spec Ops: The Line is the only AAA game in 2012 that was truly brilliant in regards to either game design or storytelling. I've heard Dishonored was pretty decent, but I've also heard that it's just a mishmash of four other games, and that the story isn't particularly amazing, so it's not really earning any points as far as game design or storytelling goes. Borderlands 2 had some pretty good writing, so I guess that's two AAA titles which deserve any kind of recognition in regards to game design or storytelling.

Besides, designing games on PC has its own set of limitations. Designing on console is actually relatively easy, because you get to work almost directly with machine code. On PC, you have to work through a shitty API like DirectX because you don't know what hardware the client will have. This is why, despite having shittier hardware, consoles can keep up with PCs to some degree in graphics and the like.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:08 pm

You're also forgetting that most console games run at 30fps(with frame rate drops from this in some games) and are usually rendered at 720p(or lower) then upscaled if you have a higher res tv, as well as not having performance killers like AA enabled. But as they said in the article you posted, direct access to the gpu would drastically improve what developers could do, however it would also increase development time. If developers really wanted pure speed, they would be coding in Assembly or machine code, but the trade off is it is much harder to develop and takes a lot more time, without the same amount of code portability offered by a language like C++. It's similar to using an api like directx or opengl in that it's much easier to use the api and takes less time, but you take a hit on performance when compared to direct access to the gpu.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:16 pm

From what ive heard its actually harder for Developers to program games for the PS3. Which really you can see how PS3 ports of games are always awfully buggy and take twice as long to be patched. That's without microsoft's meddling.

And in terms of notable AAA games, There's Mass Effect 3(Which put half the internet in revolt) and XCOM as well for reviving a previously dead genre. I've never even heard of Thomas Was alone and I'll Raise you FTL which I have heard of, a game that proved Kickstarter actually works.

Also going back to last year and while its not the best Example Skyrim pretty much hit a brick wall in terms of console limitations. Battlefield 3 is terrible with its texture pop-in on some maps to keep the game from outright exploding on you and Halo 4 there's so many ways they try to improve framerate its ridiculous to the point (And it still falls to something like 10 during the campaign and on one moulteeplayir map), If they haven't hit the wall yet they sure as hell are about too.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35 pm

The PS3 is hard to code for because Sony offers very little support to developers, and they basically are coding in assembly on that console. Microsoft at least put a layer between assembly and the devs. Also, the PS3's GPU is stupid retarded in regards to shader distribution. I have to imagine the meeting to determine shader distribution went a little something like this:

Engineer: "Alright, so our GPU is going to have 32 shader pipelines. How do we want to distribute them?"
Executive: "What are shader pipelines?"
Engineer: "They draw stuff, sir. Pixel shaders handle textures and vertex shaders handle vertices."
Executive: "We have to have awesome textures, so let's do 24 pixel and 8 vertex!"
Engineer: "Uh...you do know what vertices are, right?"
Executive: "OF COURSE I DO!" (totally doesn't)
Engineer: "...ok..."

In an era where models are oft built to be as real-looking as possible, the PS3's GPU gets bogged down easily on models with lots of vertices. Meanwhile, the 360 has 48 universal shader pipelines, which go where they're needed.

Thomas Was Alone kinda came out of nowhere, but it's supposed to be an absolutely brilliant story. FTL is another really good example of Indie games, though.

Mass Effect 3 was a culmination of what we all knew EA would do to Mass Effect. I mean, when Mass Effect 2 suddenly became a cover-based, regenerating health shooter, we all knew that EA would be killing Mass Effect sooner or later. But at least Mass Effect 2 had amazing writing and paid attention to physics. That speech on the Citadel where the sergeant chews out two recruits regarding space combat was just awesome. And then, Mass Effect 3. All of your choices didn't matter, because in the end, everybody dies. And, on top of it all, we threw out all of that awesome shit we talked about before and adopted George Lucas's approach to space combat. The writing was decent, but the ending was absolutely awful, and the game design was really just Mass Effect 2 again. So no, Mass Effect 3 definitely doesn't qualify as a AAA game worth mentioning for anything but being absolute shit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote: And, on top of it all, we threw out all of that awesome shit we talked about before and adopted George Lucas's approach to space combat.
I only have time and health to reply to this one here, but Mass Effect always had Star Wars-style battles. Look at the battle with Sovereign and tell me that it followed the Codex.

The problem is that you have artists calling the shots in cutscenes, and a good number of artists faint at the sight of math. Physics? Statistics? Hell, they took all those art classes to get out of those.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:10 pm

PC and 360 share similar architecture it makes it easier to port from to the other. There has been more indies moving to PS3, due to them being less rigid about post release patches to their game which came to a nasty head last year with Fez.

Speaking of Fez, it's another example that last year was filled with a lot of good smaller titles outside of the triple AAA. Hotline Miami, FTL, Walking Dead etc. It's a nice move to see smaller games getting a larger audience than they did when this generation started.

Mass Effect 3 to me is the culmination of a lot of bad design choices Bioware have been making since Mass Effect 1. The game is horrendously simplified with the A button account to virtually everything. (Sprint, Interact with objects, take cover, roll jump out of cover.)

Side missions being completely shafted with none of the branching story and exploration and are pretty much fetch quests where you:

1. Overhear a conversation.
2. Get in your spaceship.
3. Fly to the system in question and scan the planet for the item and retrieve it.
4. Fly back and give it to the person with no dialogue trees what-so ever.
5. Rinse and fucking repeat.

Dialogue choice has been greatly reduced, with Shepard holding many conversations without any player input, and a lot of what he says is dependent on your Paragon/Renegade rating. Teammate branching dialogue took a serious hit as well being cut down to several instances during the game, and the rest being little minor remarks here or there on the ship.

They added new characters who were either generic and forgettable (Oh Hi, Diana Vickers and James Vega! Why are you even on my ship anyway other than your voices playing you are known?) or played to much into stereotypes (Steve).

Making everybody in the game Bisexual just to allow gender equality makes no sense in the third game of a trilogy. The way Bioware have always set up their romance sub-plots makes it way to easy to enter flirtation with a member when you completely not expecting or wanting of that affection. It was creepy in DA2, it was creepy now.

Why are there only 3 enemy factions throughout the entire fucking game? Cerebrus/ Reapers/Geth.

How has Cerberus gone from a secret covert Pro-human military group, to having one of the largest armies in the game being able to deploy anywhere in the galaxy in force at a moments notice? I expect that from the Reapers because that's kinda what they do, and are way more advanced than the other two factions.

Why is exploration been completely handicapped again, with playable areas to explore again shrinking significantly? 5 years prior I could walk around half the Citadel without that many load elevators. Fast-forward to ME3 and I have 5 large rooms to explore. Same applies to the limited combat spaces you play through.

And then we come to the big one, the Story. I did expect it to be a Deus Ex machina, but the way they handled it and made all your decision completely pointless really cheapened the experience. but less said about it the better.

I did like the few character bits and dialogue we got and the game is quite fun to play, in single player or the moulteeplayir addition which did surprise me in how much I enjoy it.

Oh and all this talk about the game reminded me of this gem.

Triple AAA quality right there folks.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:26 pm

Don't forget about forcing players to use the online moulteeplayir in order to get the outcome they want in singleplayer.... with online passes... and microtransactions in a pull-priced, non-MMO... and forcing players to install Origin to play it on their PC...

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm

CivBase wrote:Don't forget about forcing players to use the online moulteeplayir in order to get the outcome they want in singleplayer.... with online passes... and microtransactions in a pull-priced, non-MMO... and forcing players to install Origin to play it on their PC...

Oh I didn't forget those, I just thought was my off topic rant was getting a little too big.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Toaster wrote: moulteeplayir

dragoon9105 wrote: moulteeplayir map

Vigil wrote: single player or the moulteeplayir addition

CivBase wrote:online moulteeplayir

hehehe

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:51 pm

I had a feeling about that.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Is what I hear every time I read it

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:00 pm

COR-BAAN DAAL-ASSS MOLTEE PAHSSS

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:10 am

So, tonights the night, today we'll find out what the next Playstation is.

Anybody got some ideas what you want changed during the transition from PS3 to PS4?

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:32 am

Buzz words about better graphics and better gameplay.

Expect the word "Revolutionize" to be said a few dozen times.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/19/ps4-announcement-watch-live-here-tomorrow/

live here tonight at 6.00pm EST/11.00pm GMT/12.00pm CET

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:22 pm

FIRMWARE UPDATES AND GAME INSTALLATION TIMES.

FIX THAT.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm sure there is some of that, but I'm really interested in what they plan to do next.

I know there was a lot of 360/PS3/Wii sucks compared to (console of preference) but they're all interesting system, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. I believe the same will be for these consoles.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm

I don't own nor plan to own a PS4, but if it's good then it forces Microsoft to step up their game. An arms race between consoles benefits the consumer.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm

Really P? You don't own a PS4?

Step it up.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:I don't own nor plan to own a PS4, but if it's good then it forces Microsoft to step up their game. An arms race between consoles benefits the consumer.

Agreed. I'm still undecided as to who I'll follow this time around. I went Sony for PS2, then Microsoft this gen. Whoever caters to my interest the most will be the one I get. I'm pretty sure I'll probably won't even get one at launch and will probably wait at least 6 months, then we will see the issues for both clearly, and I'll make an informed decision then.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Probably be another year or so till I get a new console (PC MASTER RACE) but chances are it'll be the new xbox.

They have just historically produced more games that cater to my interest.

Plus i've only known like 3 people in my whole life that have actually owned a PS3. I'd like to think that i'd play with friends if I had a console.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm

CHATBOX TO HAVE LIVE REACTIONS TO THE EVENT!

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/psmeeting/live.html

Get HYPE!

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 am

http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/sonys-playstation-4-is-coming-pars-round-up-of-sonys-announcement-of-its-ne

This gives a pretty good review of the announcement.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top