Microsoft Announcement

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Microsoft Announcement

Post by Vigil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:33 am

Kinda busy, so I'll only respond to the Ten accounts thing.

They haven't been super clear about who is classified as a family member or how you would go about setting that up. Also the fact that only works for one person at a time isn't great.

It's also very nebulous how the licences will pass over, as currently that is very sketchy even on different accounts on the same console. Some games won't even let me access them on a different account, even if I'm on the same console. It could be a potential nightmare trying to figure out what licenses do carry over as different publishers have different rules on that. (I believe Sega is really bad in this regard).

And my point before on relying on Cloud saves and how smooth accessing an account on a different console is. (Right now, it's either bring it on a memory stick/card or a lengthy recovery process on XBL.) It something we'll only really know when somebody tests it out when it's released.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 am

Yah.... I don't really know if I would consider the cloud thing is a pro or a con, so I didn't put it up there.

Also, I just heard that Playstation+ is required for multiplayer on the PS4.  That's quite the shift.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00 am

CivBase wrote:Yah.... I don't really know if I would consider the cloud thing is a pro or a con, so I didn't put it up there.

Also, I just heard that Playstation+ is required for multiplayer on the PS4.  That's quite the shift.

Yeah...Cloud saves are still a relatively new thing on a console, and they still really aren't a proven benefit or con yet. So it's hard to say how they'll be on both consoles.

It must suck for the Sony fans, but if that company wants to step up and have a real rival to Xbox Live and all their dedicated servers for their system, there had to come a point why they'd have to make it a subscription. To be fair, it's still a great deal in comparsion to a Gold account, as Playstation + has given players early access to betas and games, as well as giving away free games on PS3 and Vita (Which Microsoft only started trying to imitate on MONDAY with Games with Gold).

Oh and another benefit over Gold is people with only PSN and not plus still can access all their media apps(Netflix, Hulu etc) and free to play games unlike a Silver account which locks you out of those.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 am

It is rather odd that Xbox would lock you out of Netflix even though it doesn't use MS's servers

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am

CivBase wrote:It is rather odd that Xbox would lock you out of Netflix even though it doesn't use MS's servers

It's one of the very odd quirks of their systems and it got them into trouble a few or so ago. 

In the UK, the BBC has a TV catch up service called the iPlayer, which is available for free. They wanted to put it on Xbox Live, but Microsoft wouldn't put it on there and let people use it unless they had a Gold Account. As the BBC is a publicly funded company by the UK taxpayer (by UK TV licenses) it isn't allowed to charge money to use it's services to watch content. So it caused quite a fuss and I think in the end it isn't going to be one Xbox now.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:33 am

The problem with the Xbox One's online connectivity isn't if you have a stable internet connection for many people, its if Microsoft will enough reliable server capacity to handle having everyone logging in (see Diablo 3, WoW expansion launches, SimCity 2013). I also don't 100% trust Microsoft to have this working without any bugs that may cause it to not authenticate for some reason, causing you to be unable to play your games.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

Elabajaba wrote:The problem with the Xbox One's online connectivity isn't if you have a stable internet connection for many people, its if Microsoft will enough reliable server capacity to handle having everyone logging in (see Diablo 3, WoW expansion launches, SimCity 2013). I also don't 100% trust Microsoft to have this working without any bugs that may cause it to not authenticate for some reason, causing you to be unable to play your games.

Xbox Live has gone down. More than once. Not to mention weird periods where only parts of their service are working. Though to be fair, PSN got hacked and was down for over a month, so neither system is infallible.

They said they've added a ton of new servers for the Xbox One and Live going forward, but even then, we've seen the largest of companies struggle to keep their games running those vital first few weeks and in your examples it's always ended up hurting them in the long run.

I really hope Microsoft have learnt from them.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:50 pm

There will probably be issues though, to be fair, this isn't an always-on system like Diablo III or Sim City.  This is a quick check-in every 24 hours.  One would hope that they have a failsafe that allows the checkout to be bypassed if servers are down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:21 pm

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

Look at the supported countries at launch. Damn...

Apparently it needs a minimum broadband requirement of 1.5mbps to work.

It looks like they've completely given up on the Asian market.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down