Comicon San Diego

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Comicon San Diego

Post by KristallNacht on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Not sure why I didn't mention this yet, but I got a 4 day staff pass to CCI and the event starts thursday. Any suggestions on what I should check out or things you'd want updates on?
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Comicon San Diego

Post by Lord Pheonix on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Not as familiar with Comicon as other Cons, do they do games at all or is it all just comics and movies?

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:33 pm

Lots of the major game companies still have booths. I know EA for sure.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 pm

Um... wow.
Got a video camera on you? Because I may know a forum that would like to have some footage taken.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:09 am

only my phone and a contour
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rzgrz on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 am

just take some good pictures and post em on here!.
rzgrz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-03-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rzgrz on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Riddick is suposed to be there i want info on him!!!
rzgrz
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 pm

The have playable games on the PS4 and xbox one and a behind closed doors demo of watch dogs.

Ntm all the awesome anime and my little pony stuff
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:53 pm

See if you can play some next-gen games and review them a little.

Also pones.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 am

So I've seen the watchdogs closed door demo, exclusive assassins creed iv gameplay and panel, and i've played world of tanks on 360, batman origins on ps3, ryse sons of rome on xbox one, and octodad on ps4.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rzgrz on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Dude hows watchdog? Is it going to be worth it?
rzgrz
Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 pm

What was show was a whole lot better than the e3 demo.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 pm

Pones. Explain.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 am

Did you see any of the Superman/Batman movie thing? Probably the biggest news coming out of that place right now.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 am

No cause ot was in one of the huge ballrooms
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

I'd imagine a huge room would be easier to get into...
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Not when tens of thousands of people want into it
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Touche.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Did you manage to get into any of the comic movie panels?

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Thy were all in the major rooms which i couldn't wait for. I was in the assassins creed panel
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 am

Did the game crash as much as it did in the E3 demo?

I assume they didn't shut up about naval combat?

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:28 am

Didnt crash and was very beautiful. Not much talk of naval combat.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:06 pm

Watchdogs
Watchdogs is a highly anticipated open world action game, similar to Grand Theft Auto. It's easy to view this game as a simple clone, but the exclusive closed doors demo on display at this years Comic Con International highlighted many of the unique mechanics on display in this title.
This game focuses heavily on the security risks made present in a fully connected world. In this future Chicago, the cities infrastructure is managed by the Central Operating System, or CtOS, and the games antihero, Aiden Pearce, is just the hacker to take advantage of this.
To gain control over sections of the cities system, Aiden must hack into CtOS server stations, similar to outposts in Far Cry, through the use of stealth, technology and IEDs. To make this easier, Aiden is able to remotely hack forklifts and vent protectors to modify the terrain.
Once the server is hacked is when watchdogs starts showing more flavor than other open worlds. Apparently the CtOS also does psychology scans, ala Psycho-Pass, and can identify potential victims and criminals. Aiden is notified of an impending crime and sets to work scouting out those involved. After hacking the local CtOS server, we now have the ability to view an NSA level of information about anyone we pass, including, in this case, our likely victim just before she is attacked in an alleyway by an ex-boyfriend. Aiden intervenes, but, as a player you can simply avoid these instances and keep to yourself.
The ensuing foot chase transitions into cars, and quickly ends as Aiden hacks one of the cities many road blockers, crushing the target's car. This happened entirely on the fly in the middle of a chase, finally bringing some series environmental interaction to the open world genre.
Our demo next takes us to the gunstore, a mainstay in open world games as well as a major indicator this isn't the real Chicago. Unfortunately for Aiden, Watchdogs has a few tricks up it sleeves. Being a hunted renegade makes it risky to show your face in public. Footage from an earlier attack on a CtOS server appears on the tv in the gunstore, soon followed by a photo of Aiden as the main suspect. The gun store owner activates a silent alarm and Aiden is back on the run.
After the quick escape, it's explained that when the CsOT system was implemented, the city also installed many free wifi points and our hero hacks into the network to see who is connected.
Eventually we end up in the webcam of a laptop in a nearby house with a baby crying loudly in the room. We quickly steal the bank account info of the owner and are back on the streets. The narrator gives a speech about making players define their own morality and proceeds to empty the stolen accounts at a nearby atm. Unfortunately, Ubisoft missed the opportunity to have it be an Xbox Kinect instead of simple webcam.
Suddenly we find out that there are other super hackers out there, as one tries to hack Aiden's phone. After a quick hunt for the perpetrator it's revealed that this hacker is actually another player who has stepped into our single player game. Apparently, if you enter another players game and successfully hack their phone, you get a portion of the information they have collected thus far, but short of a little espionage and, on occasion, a gunfight, it isn't fully explained to what extent this multiplayer will go.
This is definitely going to be a game to check out this November when it's released on Windows, as well as current and next gen consoles.

Ryse: Sons of Rome
Ryse was the most pushed Xbox One title at Comic-con, with a huge investment by Microsoft including mock roman battles in their gaming lounge, and it's easy to see why: this game is gorgeous. Running on the newest iteration of the Crytek engine (Crysis, Far Cry) only the most discerning eye can tell the difference between Ryse and a prerendered scene.
The game follows the story of Marius Titus as he joins the Roman army and goes up through the ranks to become a General. The story is described as "an epic tale of revenge spanning an entire lifetime.
The playable demo at Comic con showcased Titus leading his cohort into battle, utilizing phalanx formations, and then breaking to mow down the stragglers.
Easy to succeed but difficult to master, the combat is very reminiscent of Batman: Arkham's freeform combat, albeit without obvious attacking markers, combo counters and batarangs. Once an enemy is weakened enough you get to enter a quicktime sequence to finish them off ala God of War, but the beautiful graphics, animation and camera angles make the experience amazingly rewarding. These sequences take advantage of terrain and, if multiple enemies are weak enough, the sequence will involve killing both of the targets.
Hopefully, this game has as good of a story as it is beautiful, so early adopters can have a solid title to stand behind when this is released for the Xbox One this holiday season.

Upcoming PS4 Games
Sony had only a few games on display. 2 racing games, Drive Club and Gran Turismo 6. Whichever player got the best time on the Drive Club demo also won a PSVita, making the line rather troublesome. A more original PS4 title was on display called Octodad, which pits you as a very awkward humanoid octopus as you do various mundane things in a very artistic world. The main draw is the floppy octopus-on-land means of movement and most players walked away from the demo smiling.

Saints Row the Fourth
Saint's Row was on display at Comic-Con allowing gamers to get their hands on the new superpowers and dubstep gun. For those new to the series, Saint's Row was, for a while, not too much more than Grand Theft Auto's immature kid brother. Each iteration in the series steps it further and further away from GTA into the land of the zany and over the top.
The Fourth visually looks just like the Third except now with a near constant visual distortion to help impress upon the player the idea of living in the digital Steelport that the characters have become trapped in since an alien invasion.
The super powers, new to this installment, seem properly balanced in Saint's Row style and are extremely amusing to play around with, but they come with a bad side effect: getting caught up in superhero/villain fantasy comes at the cost of emphasizing how poor the still unchanged hand to hand combat is. How bad the melee combat was in previous titles wasn't much of an issue, due to the heavy emphasis on gunplay. This is a considerable issue considering how one of the new side events, Superpower Fight Club, pits you up against enemies, both standard and super powered, with only your new abilities to rely on. This leaves you with slow recharging super attacks or the weak, clunky hand to hand system.
Other new side events include Super Sprint Races and Mind Over Murder, where you use telekinesis to throw people, cars, and Professor Genki through hoops for points.
Mixing the new superpowers and gunplay can be very rewarding but the inability to shoot while performing a super jump can dampen some of your more epic combat plans. Also, once super running/jumping/gliding is acquired there is little reason to bother with any of the game's vehicles.
Other than these changes, the game is mostly more of the same plus powers, and if you enjoyed Saints Row the Third there is little reason you won't enjoy this title when its released on Windows, 360, and PS4 next month.

Batman
Sony's gaming area also had the fortune of having Arkham Origins on the PS3 and Batman: Blackgate on the Vita.
Arkham Origins has little in the way of graphical improvements and the gameplay remains mostly the same as Arkham City, which is exactly what it needs to be. There is a lot more detail put into detective mode, demonstrated in the demo by reconstructing a helicopter crash. The system allows you to rebuild the scene virtually and play it back in detective mode at your own pace to allow you to view things as they happen and track individual details.
Unfortunately, my playthrough didn't even make it to the first cutscene, as apparently I was the only player that didn't just zip straight to the objective. The side missions kept me busy until I was kicked off the station, being told that Origins has a game world twice the size of Arkham City, albeit very little explorable in the demo.
From there I was given a chance to play Batman: Blackgate on the Vita. The game looks as good as any mobile game can nowadays but the gameplay felt very limited and clunky. Part of this may just be because the left thumbstick on the Vita was broken and couldn't allow you to move up. The game seemed to be little more than Batman on rails, as you have no control over the camera and the correct way to move was almost always marked by the press R to grapple. This game, in my opinion, is far from a mobile Arkham and is not a good enough reason to buy a Vita.

World of Tanks 360
I'm going to preface this by saying I am a scrub at World of Tanks. I only have 1 non starter tank, and the full extent of the mechanics are still lost on me.
The 360 demo has nearly every tank pre unlocked and pimped out so I had a hard time trying to find anything similar to my one tank to test. The game looks a bit worse on the 360 than on my pc, but graphical refinements are likely as it approaches release.
I did have some issues with getting effective hits, as I would shoot some tanks perfectly and do no damage just to get shot once and explode. This could just be my newb showing but I haven't run into such issues on the PC.
One demographic issue did show as most players couldn't be bothered to wait for a good shot and all just swarmed around together shooting on the move in a way that would make even the best killmail whore proud. One thing enforcing this may be how the visual effect for being in camouflage was missing and isn't giving a clue that this is important.
The controls were solid and were well in line with my experiences on the pc and I could see myself playing on the 360 instead of the PC when this comes out for free in August. Now to find out how to get my Girls und Panzer mod working on a console.

Assassin's Creed IV
Ubisoft brought the big guns when it came to AC4: Black Flag. They had a pirate ship with AC4 sails in the harbor docked just behind the convention center. On board they had a single player demonstration and playable multiplayer stations, as well as demonstrations of period weaponry, a gallery of AC artwork and signing by Todd McFarland.
In the AC4 panel, Ubisoft displayed an exclusive single player gameplay demo. Starting in a pirate camp, Edward, our friendly neighborhood pirate assassin, has to follow a possible conspiracist. The beautiful jungle becomes the location of our stalk. We find the the conspiracists talking conspiratory babble and burst in to quickly eliminate the group in true pirate fashion: using 4 pistols. Unfortunately, a flare launches off signally a waiting fleet to launch an attack on our crew and port.
A quick parkour session through the now burning husk of the port takes us running up some beams and jumping onto the back of our ship and seamlessly transition into control of the ship as we take to the sea to attack this new enemy.
After significantly damaging an enemy ship, Edward seamlessly (ie. No cutscene) runs up his own ships mast and swings down to assassinate 2 snipers on the enemy ship.
This seamlessness between land and sea was a major talking point during the panel. Lead writer, Darby McDevitt, stated the core storyline is roughly 40% sea and 60% land, but that the solid break between the two that exists in AC3 is gone and that many missions start in one and end in the other as shown in the demo.
The game features 15 major locations and over 75 smaller locations like small islands and beaches you can sail to. Instead of a land middleground like the wilderness in AC3, you will sail between ports in Cuba, Jamaica, and the Dutch Caribbean. In this space in between there are dive sites, islands, and much of the normal secondary content you'd expect.
The story of Assassin's Creed 4 is meant to lead seamlessly into AC 3, except with no Desmond to be found. The amount of inception content will be reduced to more of an AC1 level, to give players a closer connection to the historical narrative.
When talking about the future of the series, McDevitt, stated that the only time period that won't be likely to get it's own game is modern/future, as historical tourism is a major part of the development and plan of the game. The devs have a long list of where they'd like to go and the next game's period will boil down mostly to a simple poll amongst the devs.

Beyond Two Souls
Beyond Two Souls is Quantic Dreams new PS3 exclusive. This is the team behind the well received Heavy Rain, and Beyond Two Souls is very much in the same format: interactive multithreaded movie.
Beyond Two souls features Jodie, played by Ellen Page, who has, for a reason unexplained in the demo, a very powerful spirit that helps her named Aiden. Using Aiden, the player has the capability to choke, and force push. Aiden's most useful skill is the ability to possess others.
In the demo, Jodie is in Somalia (no clue why) and uses this possession ability to possess enemies in combat and force them to kill blues and even kill themselves. The easiest way to fully explain this is it's Heavy Rain, with a ghost and a lot more action.
During time spent watching others play and play myself, what became apparent was how many subtle ways things can turn out differently along the way, and just how fluid all the animation is regardless of this variation.
Much like Heavy Rain, any PS3 owner would be stupid not to get this game when it comes out in October.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:55 pm

no comments on any of those reviews?
KristallNacht