RimWorld and DwarfCorp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RimWorld and DwarfCorp

Post by Gauz on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Dwarf Fortress meets FTL, seeeexxxyyy

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tynansylvester/rimworld

EDIT:  No Z levels, probably to make it simpler, I wonder how this will turn out.

Another EDIT: And DwarfCorp, which is dwarf fortress if dwarf fortress was minecraft, apparently.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: RimWorld and DwarfCorp

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 am

But does it have elephants and annoying Rebels?
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Dwarf corp is super dumbed down DF with prettier graphics, but IMO its the best way to get someone to try playing DF
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3952
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:Dwarf corp is super dumbed down DF with prettier graphics, but IMO its the best way to get someone to try playing DF
I agree with Mr.Inferior of the two Admins, it's a dumbed down DF (much like Towns, which is pretty fun btw).

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:44 am

If any game needs dumbing down, it's DF.

Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:46 am

it isnt THAT bad, once you learn the basics after an abandoned fort or two you can play long enough to lose in more interesting ways than starvation or dehydration.

my favorites are tantrum spirals of my legendary fighters trained up in my danger rooms, or flooding my fort with water full of carp >Smile

though one time my baron forbid the production of dwarven wine and killed half the fort, that was funny too.

dwarf fortress, the game where the only way to win is to lose big
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:31 pm

Gauz wrote:If any game needs dumbing down, it's DF.

If you're new to it, it is definitely a hassle to learn. I would point people new to the genre to other games that are similar but much more basic, like Towns or Dwarf Corp. However, if Dwarf Corp is anything like Towns, how interesting the game is quickly drops off once you get past the basic survival and building phases because they begin to lose complexity and most of the threat of failure. IMO, while DF is really hard to learn and get into but once you are past the initial building stage it really starts to shine. The complexity increases but since you already know the basics of operation and have a functioning fort you're free to toy around with it at your own pace... assuming you have a military capable of fending off the odd attacker or invasion.

Speaking of invasion, in the last game I played there was an undead invasion in year 3 I think... I never had time to finish the fortress moat which would have allowed my archers to have a great deal of fun, so it culminated with a conscript bum rush at the incomplete moat ditch against the zombies as the few archers picked em off at the other side.  I let the zombies just through the choke point so I could match each zombie with multiple dwarves. 50~ dwarves and untold numbers of dogs (I bought a lot of breeding pairs so they were mostly puppies) went charging into that pit and only half a dozen dwarves and a few dogs came back out.

The fort held but I stopped playing because the fortress suffered from a bit of a Malthusian catastrophe/tantrum spiral within the next year.

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 pm

I had a fortress where my miners took turns trying to push each other into Lava. and another when the expedition leader wanted to get a drink he slipped and fell down a 10 level waterfall and became a splattering on the rocks below.

Then we had a few unfortunate incidents one game with an atom smasher, and the ghost spent the rest of the days of THAT fortress scaring dwarves into pulling the lever for the same atom smasher and letting goblin invasions in.

My favorite has got to be my elf melter. A sealable trade station with different options to either, starve them to death, choke them to death or my personal favorite, outright melt them, Its not like the crap they sell is worth anything anyway.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 pm

It's probably my short attention span and impatience, but I started to get it. It isn't hard to learn, it's just time consuming.

I didn't learn enough to have fun, and I wasn't having enough fun to learn more. One day I'll reward myself with actually trying.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:06 pm

I created a labrynth once that housed a forgotten beast that the only enterance to was the walkway into my fortress (lined with traps to make any invaders dodge off) that dropped about 6 levels into the labrynth.

one day a whole bunch of my dwarfs were suddenly missing and I couldnt find them, sO I decided to check my combat reports.... a whole bunch of my dwarfs had congregated on the walkway and a kobold theif showed up, so like 10 of them dodged into the pit and fell to their inevitable deaths XD... the worst part is because the forgotten beast was in there I couldnt go retrieve the corpses, so ghosts started attacking my dwarfs... who were already distressed because of their dead friends.... long story short tantrum spiral + goblin invasion... I just freed the forgotten beast and let him kill everyone.

thats how most of my fortresses end, I usually trap a vampire or two so I could potentially keep any of my forts alive indefinitely once migrants kill off whatever nasties killed everyone else in the fort, but at that stage I usually just want to try again from scratch and either abandon, or send my vampires (who are danger room trained for combat as a last resort... since they are stronger than vanilla dwarfs) out to die
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Elite trained vampires are the perfect plan for when you absolutely positively need to kick hidden fun stuff's ass. Just hope you dont have any none undead left in the fortress afterwards or things are going to get even more fun.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:55 pm

what is really fun is to make a vampire your captain of the gaurd, and watch all those unsolved murders pile up

I like having people to talk DF with... I could go for hours... none of my IRL friends can get passed the interface except for one who is in a different timezone so we never talk about it
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:28 pm

Have you guys tried a succession game?
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:11 pm

I imagine a DF sucession game would be really depressing... it would just suddenly end with one person XD

unless you did it so each person went until they had fun, then the next person would reclaim the fortress with a pre-determined embark setup
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Oh its certainly possible but its boring unless people write AAR's for thier term alongside their succession.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Thus far, all of my fortresses have fallen to my OCD. I'll be going along, everything's going great, and I'll either realize that I forgot to do something super duper important at the beginning (like realizing I forgot to setup farms when I run out of alcohol), or get a possessed migrant that wants a workstation I haven't had time to set up yet who subsequently goes insane. One thing goes wrong and I say "fuck it, I'm out!" and just abandon the fortress. I've lost three fortresses to fucking possessed glassblowers and their god damn demands for fucking green glass! It's gotten so bad that I modify my embark to include raw green glass now, just in case.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:39 pm

oh, if a dwarf gets possessed and I dont have the materials they get walled in somewhere and left to starve, I build all my workshops specifically so I can easily wall it off if it gets taken over.

my worst posessed dwarf was one of my craftsdwarfs who I had put in my military and trained up to legendary in dodging, fighting, striking, and maces.... needless to say his little tantrum afterwards ruined my fort, he single handedly killed the rest of his squad who were equally trained, my archer squad took him down, but then I lost control and my whole fortress started killing one another.

I love that dwarfs first reaction upon having a friend die is to start killing other dwarfs
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:38 pm

If people started randomly attacking each other in the streets, would you stand by and try and figure out what the fuck was going on?

Maybe.

Would a dwarf?

No, he's a fucking drunk-ass dwarf.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:48 pm

My last fortress has a nutso dwarf walled off outside right now actually but I couldn't figure out what the hell he wanted so we dont talk about him anymore. Of course after checking the wiki I found out he wants SPIDER SILK as in GIANT CAVE SPIDER SILK.. Not happening buddy.
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:43 pm

http://spacebasedf9.com/
Though i might put this in here because its a similar game.
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:12 pm

i'm going to give it a shot, I love double fine and the game looks fun
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 pm

If I can run it I'll try.

Another double fine game I'm looking forward to is MASSIVE CHALICE, their most recent kickstarter funded game.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:i'm going to give it a shot, I love double fine and the game looks fun
I bought it as an impulse buy and i enjoy it, just be cautious your oxygen recyclers will break down faster than you would expect even withmultiple technicians
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: