Battlestations.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by helvner on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:59 am

man dust must be a small problem with that right?
avatar
helvner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 139
Age : 26
Location : I Dont Even Know
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:18 am

helvner wrote:man dust must be a small problem with that right?
Not as much of a problem as the boy dust and the woman dust. The man dust knows its place.
avatar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 27
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Rotaretilbo on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Elabajaba wrote:With that kind of hardware, you could easily be bringing in $50+/day. More on a good multipool or on some smaller coins (about $175/day but lowering quickly on darkcoin...)

As best I can tell, even with all this hardware, it all amounts to a few thousand megahashes per second. To put that into perspective, the hardware you normally buy to mine cryptocurrency range anywhere from fifty thousand megahases per second to fifteen million megahashes per second. You'd be lucky to mine a millionth of a bitcoin a day with both rigs running in tandem, and the power draw is so significant that you'd end up losing money via your utility bill each month. Trust me, ever since people realized that you could build and sell specialized hardware for mining, it has become utterly pointless to try and mine with anything else.

Tylertlat wrote:I'm still curious at how good that would be at farming. Anyway, what IS the purpose of those?

I dunno. They belong to my roommate Reid. He bought all the cards, and has them running some version of Ubuntu. I think he's trying to test the hardware to ensure that none of it is defective, but the purpose beyond that is unknown to me.

helvner wrote:man dust must be a small problem with that right?

Actually, temperature is the real problem. We've taped some filters to the window behind the rig to try and let in cool air, but spring is over here in Arizona, so that is no longer viable anymore. To put this into perspective, my computer is roughly fifteen feet away from the super rig. I left a pair of Reese's peanut butter cups on my desk, still in the wrapper yesterday. They melted.

_________________
avatar
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 27
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Elabajaba on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Elabajaba wrote:With that kind of hardware, you could easily be bringing in $50+/day. More on a good multipool or on some smaller coins (about $175/day but lowering quickly on darkcoin...)

As best I can tell, even with all this hardware, it all amounts to a few thousand megahashes per second. To put that into perspective, the hardware you normally buy to mine cryptocurrency range anywhere from fifty thousand megahases per second to fifteen million megahashes per second. You'd be lucky to mine a millionth of a bitcoin a day with both rigs running in tandem, and the power draw is so significant that you'd end up losing money via your utility bill each month. Trust me, ever since people realized that you could build and sell specialized hardware for mining, it has become utterly pointless to try and mine with anything else.

That's why I said altcons, not bitcoin. Bitcoin not profitable except on asics, but some altcoins can get $5-10 on 500khash/sec, and a rig like that should get 6.7mhash/sec+, so it'll be a decent amount per day (if it costs less then $60 to run a day, it'll be profitable, just too really hard on the computer due to heat).

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Age : 23
Location : Canada
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:18 pm

But then why aren't people just mining altcoins with ASICs and dominating the entire market, the way they do with every other cryptocurrency?

_________________
avatar
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 27
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:But then why aren't people just mining altcoins with ASICs and dominating the entire market, the way they do with every other cryptocurrency?
IIRC bitcoin is somewhat more stable (but they're all fiat currencies so it's basically pointless).
avatar
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Age : 18
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Elabajaba on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:But then why aren't people just mining altcoins with ASICs and dominating the entire market, the way they do with every other cryptocurrency?

Because they haven't figured out how to use/create ASICs with non SHA256 coins, and the majority of altcoins are now scrypt (with even better algorithms coming out now). You end up with people that have massive gpu farms, or cpu server farms, or botnets, but its still a lot fairer for the average person that isn't gonna spend 10k+ for an ASIC.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Age : 23
Location : Canada
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:53 pm

So I talked to Reid about these altcoins, and he decided that it was time to make some money back on the super rigs. Rather than mining, he leases them out to someone else, who uses them to mine. He's making $62/day USD for this service.

_________________
avatar
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 27
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Battlestations.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum