So, what exactly are we doing for a living?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So, what exactly are we doing for a living?

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am

Now that most of us are grown up and have been bodily evicted from our parents houses, what are we doing to pay for video games and an internet connection?

I'm currently working in the same food plant that I've worked at for the past seven summers. This time, though, I'm a mechanic working on the graveyard shift. When all is going well, I'm pretty much a sanitation worker with an orange bump cap instead of a blue one. Wash down the blancher when the cooling tunnels are defrosting, wash the crap out from under the pea sifters, etc.

When all is not going well, I'm scrambling over machinery and hauling in electric motors and gearboxes. If I'm really lucky, I have to go over to the shop to make something.

When all is going horribly (For me) we don't have any produce to process, so it's time to change out the belts and do inspections on the gearboxes and sprockets and yadda yadda yadda. Which means I'm crawling through week old pea mash that... here, I described it on the HBO forum yesterday.

It's the closest thing to human feces that the FDA will allow inside a food plant. Mashed peas and pods, when they accumulate in the corners of the waste conveyors and ferment for a week, smell like the breeze just downwind of a compost pile and an outhouse. The muck is brownish-black, lumpy, and sticks to everything.

Believe it or not, the waste from organic peas is worse.

So, all you guys working retail? Sit down, shut up, and start thinking about how much worse it could be.

Anyone else?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, what exactly are we doing for a living?

Post by KrAzY on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:02 pm

I draw pictures over and over and over again that when viewed in a fast enough sequence looks as if it moves.

cant really complain, I like my job, the only problem is that the stuff I do is stuff that only 2 of us at my company know how to do, so I am swamped, though it also makes me more immune to spontaneous layoffs which is nice.

I even have an IMDB page now Very Happy

I am glad that I dont have to crawl through shit at my job, that doesnt sound fun rasq
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3952

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Being a burden on society, at least until I have learned enough to go learn some more and then start doing the fun learning (hoping to become a phyisicist or biologist someday)!
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 pm

I wake up very early in the morning to run really far then I sit down and wait for someone to tell me what to do for the rest of the day.

Living the desert dream over here.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1527

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by laxspartan007 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:37 am

security at the holiday inn resort, beach side at a 3 star hotel.
laxspartan007
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 am

Chef at a restaurant until I can get some orders on base or deployed.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helvner on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:37 am

i work for a small engineering company, that dows cad cae moldflow metrology and 3d scanning, currently reverse-engineering MRAP Vehicles for the military
helvner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm

I work at the Inn again, on the largest dish machine in the mid west. Lately I've been able to take the "Pots and Pans" spot, where grab kitchen stuff from the kitchen, run it (in batches) through a large machine, inspect the things to see if they are clean, then deliver them throughout the kitchen or scrub them and repeat step 2. This is the good spot. The area only has room for, at max, a loader, an unloader, and a scrubber, so it tends to be just me or me and someone else who doesn't dick around, since the cooks need their pans. Otherwise, I do almost the same thing on a much bigger thing with the dinner ware and trays the servers bring back from the customers. The machine can fit up to 12 workers, who are a strange mix of the developmentally retarded, people who can't find a real job but won't stop look to take an ok job (like myself) and the significant others of people who already work there. I like to do "loading" and "take-off" there because it's hot, wet, and physically demanding, so the retards do their best to avoid it. I no longer have fingerprints.

Anyway, I'm hoping and hunting for anything even tangentially related to my degree so I can claim it as an internship and finish my bachelors.
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2009-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I work as maintenance at a Comfort Inn. I basically do general stuff like garbage, cleaning, snaking toilets (real fun let me tell ya), etc but I'm asked to do other work that housekeeping and the front desk would normally do like set rooms up for guests, or help luggage get unpacked.

And sometime soon I will be working as an extra in a decently sized movie, so that'll be fun!
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1217
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:07 am

Tylertlat wrote:I work at the Inn again, on the largest dish machine in the mid west. Lately I've been able to take the "Pots and Pans" spot, where grab kitchen stuff from the kitchen, run it (in batches) through a large machine, inspect the things to see if they are clean, then deliver them throughout the kitchen or scrub them and repeat step 2. This is the good spot. The area only has room for, at max, a loader, an unloader, and a scrubber, so it tends to be just me or me and someone else who doesn't dick around, since the cooks need their pans. Otherwise, I do almost the same thing on a much bigger thing with the dinner ware and trays the servers bring back from the customers. The machine can fit up to 12 workers, who are a strange mix of the developmentally retarded, people who can't find a real job but won't stop look to take an ok job (like myself) and the significant others of people who already work there. I like to do "loading" and "take-off" there because it's hot, wet, and physically demanding, so the retards do their best to avoid it. I no longer have fingerprints.

Anyway, I'm hoping and hunting for anything even tangentially related to my degree so I can claim it as an internship and finish my bachelors.

I did that for 8 months...

Pots was a lot better (also more pay) then only having having 3 people (usually at least 1 of them useless) for 1000 in functions (most of the restaurants in that hotel had their own dish areas, so this doesn't count the few hundred in restaurants), or the conference center functions where'd they tell us that we'd have to stay an extra 2 hours because they couldn't schedule for shit and didn't realize the function went til 5am...

Glad I don't do that anymore Very Happy

As for what I'm doing right now, just living at home (yay freeloading) while in uni and paying for it with the money I saved washing those dishes (gotta find a new job soon though sadly).

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:20 am

I guess I'm a little lamer as I only have a retail job at the moment, but after I finish my final year at college I plan on moving into an apartment with a friend of mine while we both for a computer guy (name of the company) saving up to open our on IT business.

I also did make plans to run a card shop with another friend of mine, but still iffy on that one.
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2076
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:Cant really complain, I like my job, the only problem is that the stuff I do is stuff that only 2 of us at my company know how to do, so I am swamped, though it also makes me more immune to spontaneous layoffs which is nice.
Sounds like me, minus the job security.

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:I even have an IMDB page now Very Happy
Link?

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:I am glad that I dont have to crawl through shit at my job, that doesnt sound fun rasq
It's transient. As bad as it smells, it doesn't cling to your clothes like pea juice does.
Also, it's not the worst that peas can do to you. If you let them soak in the sun for a few hours, they turn white and give off this sour, horrible smell. You get a whiff of that, and it will trigger your gag reflex.

Sometimes, I spend my downtime weighing the pros and cons of each food product we handle. Peas stink and produce a metric crapton of foam when you wash them, but corn produces more waste by an order of magnitude, and is harder to clean up as well. Once it dries on stainless steel, you have to chip it off with a scraper.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Oh, and the best thing is, I get free time on the MIG welder!
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:38 am

I'm working as the systems administrator, networking administrator, courier, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and various other miscellaneous roles for my parents' aircraft repair shop. I enjoy the technology aspects, but I loathe working in other areas, because everything not done by me is done haphazardly and it bugs the shit out of my obsessive compulsive tendencies. Invoicing is the worst, because the process crosses pretty much every other employee's hands before reaching me, and then I get blamed if an item gets left off or it takes too long to get something invoiced.

In my spare time, I'm mostly just pursuing networking certifications. I've been really lazy about it, though. I took three of the four CCNA classes, but haven't gotten around to taking the fourth, where all the fun material is.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:48 am

For the summer I'm somewhere between unemployed and working for my sister; she bought a house and it needs a good bit of work. Otherwise I'm wrapping up school this upcoming semester and searching for work.

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Natural gas leak surveyor over here. I check both meters and the underground lines. It pays decent and its pretty good work.
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2135
Registration date : 2008-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:36 pm

My job has changed slightly. For the worse.

Now I spend all night sharpening knives. These aren't the folding knives that fit in your pocket, but bent pieces of metal with one sharp edge. Six of them go into a spring-loaded gear driven rotary head, where the sharp edges are on the inside and form a circle about four centimeters in diameter. The head is spun real fast and cobs of corn are launched through at a breakneck pace so that the kernels can be sliced off.

The orienters don't work well, the machines tend to jam, corn crud builds up in minutes, and I've got to reach into these things to swap out the heads so I can replace dull knives with sharp ones.

And we still manage to process (24*60/5)*3*1650~1.5 million pounds of corn per day.

That's coming out the finished side. I'm guessing that another 1.5 million pounds of waste gets produced in the form of corn crud, cobs and husks.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 am

I get a nice government paycheck for maintaining gear that doesn't do anything through excess use of people ranked lower than me and generally soak up as much bullshit as possible without letting it get to them.
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I imagine you being the douche Corporal of the shop who refuses to get a real haircut Razz

Dud Doodoo
Minion

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:58 pm

The one with the highest of tights. Like an Island of hair at the scalp. That's all.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:The one with the highest of tights. Like an Island of hair at the scalp. That's all.

He meant a low haircut, not a high one.

Which is correct. Medium-low e'ry day.

But not douchey. Belligerent would be a more apt description.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Good sir, I very much doubt that you are a pleasant person with whom to associate, and I wish to express my impression of your character through language most foul and derogatory.

Btw, my year mark the other day.  Bootpogfuck4life #oorah #semper fi #devil dawg #yut #kill

4 to go.  Only a month left in satans gooch and then I go to an island populated by strange asian people.

EDIT:

Suck a fat chode you dick loving fuck

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Oki is pretty fun.

Make sure you go to the Maid Cafe just off of Kokusai. I think its called Berry House.

Thats a unique experience.
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:Good sir, I very much doubt that you are a pleasant person with whom to associate, and I wish to express my impression of your character through language most foul and derogatory.

Btw, my year mark the other day.  Bootpogfuck4life #oorah #semper fi #devil dawg #yut #kill

4 to go.  Only a month left in satans gooch and then I go to an island populated by strange asian people.

EDIT:

Suck a fat chode you dick loving fuck

Been a bit since I saw someone that's not me edit shit for funsys.

Can't think of a mod here that's enough of a faggot to hashtag marine shit though.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Wow. I think the mods tag-teamed that post.

Anyhow, update to my last post: I now sharpen knives and wash them in acid, when I'm not cleaning machine parts and soaking them in acid.

Yes, it hurts just as much as it sounds.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top