Who Among Us Computers Good?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who Among Us Computers Good?

Post by CivBase on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:49 pm

When I created an account here I was a sophmore in high school.  Some members were younger than me and some were older.  I always got the feeling that I was somewhere near the middle of the group.  In my most active years, I was too young to have any significant computer expertise - just enough competency to navigate the file system with DOS commands and write a Hello World program in C.

Ang's NewGuy's recent post mentioned web development and it got me thinking that most of us are probably old enough now to have become skilled at whatever it is we want to do with the rest of our lives.  I'm curious how many of us have developed skills in IT, programming, or some other computing specialization.  I don't mean for this to be an opportunity for people to show off, but rather an opportunity to create discussion about a potentially shared interest.

You don't need a formal education to speak up, either - in fact, I believe pretty strongly that most people would benefit from some basic computer/programming knowledge.  If it's something you want to learn about, maybe one of us could help point you in the right direction.

I studied computer engineering in college.  I'm proficient with many languages, but my favorite is python.  Despite my distain for javascript, I end up using web interfaces as a front end for many of my projects - so I have also become pretty good at web development.  I also sometimes like to dig into lower level stuff with C, but I tend to prefer higher level development projects because I find the results to be more satisfying.  Also, git is amazing and I have come to loathe SVN.

Last edited by CivBase on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Who Among Us Computers Good?

Post by KrAzY on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm self taught in C++ C# and ive done some scripting in javascript and played around a little in python.

still trying to get better, mostly focusing in C# right now, but at the moment ive gone back to trying to re-learn math to help with what I want to eventually do with programming, which is working on simulation stuff for my special effects animation
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3953
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Nice! I've been wanting to get into Unity with C# but every time I start a new project of more importance comes up. In my last effort I even primed myself by learning a healthy amount of linear algebra with Khan Academy, but I still only managed to complete a couple tutorials in Unity before being pulled into another project. Now I keep telling myself I'll finally get around to it when my current project is done...

My experience so far with C# has been pretty positive, though. It feels a lot like Java, but I'm fond of some of the extra syntax features - especially the getter/setter shorthand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:09 pm

What did I post, haha?

I don't have any experience or knowledge about computers, web design, programming, etc. I'm still working towards my bachelor of science in chemistry, and I don't really use computers much in that kind of subject. Maybe use Excel or some kind of spectroscopy if I'm lucky. I actually got kinda interested in law from doing mock trial, which is kinda funny.

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:52 pm

I can into HTML. No real programming, though (yet). I may need to learn it at some point or another, since I intend on becoming a physicist, and I imagine having programming skills might be fairly useful there. Who knows?

I do play Eve Online, and if I ever get super hardcore into doing production lines and things like that in Eve I might put some effort into Excel. Would look decent on a resume to boot.

It'll be interesting to see if programming and more in-depth computer knowledge will be mandated in high schools as time goes on, what with the more recent emphasis on trying to get students to actually understand what they are doing rather than checking their ability to jump through hoops.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4811
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:33 am

If any of you are interested in learning programming but don't have any experience, I recommend spending a couple hours trying out the first dozen or two levels of Code Combat.  I think it does a pretty good job of exposing people to the core though processes behind programming.  Once you know how programming works, switching languages isn't nearly as tough.

If you'd rather start with a real language, I suggest C (a small language with very little syntax memorization) or Python (a large language with many features, but easy to read).  I recommend avoiding Java or Javascript as beginner languages.

If it's Excel you're after, though, you'll probably want to look into Visual Basic.

Angatar wrote:What did I post, haha?
Woops, that was NewGuy.  You had the most recent post in the thread and my stupid brain confused the names.

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:30 pm

I was planning on designing video games when I started in HWF.

Now I'm a Psych major with my first job in the field
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkraw on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Tangent comment first - It's really cool hearing about how far everyone on the site has come over the years.

On Topic - I'm self taught in C# and have a bit of experience with Java and C++, but my grasp of everything outside of C# is poor. I've picked up a lot of info about much lower level systems through work, primarily CAN bus (Controller Area Network, automotive related) stuff and microcontrollers.

Kasrkraw
Minion

Male Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2017-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 pm

I learned basic C++ in high school and Java in college, but never did anything particularly interesting with them. I taught myself the basics of HTML, but again did little with it. I also taught myself basic Lua, then got bored. What this has left me with is a fundamental understanding of psuedocode and an appreciation for syntax, but very little actual programming ability, since I don't know the depths of any languages.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top