MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: piracy.....

Post by capn qwerty on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:26 am

Well, it's stealing, which is wrong, and illegal, so piracy = bad.
capn qwerty
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:27 am

Pirates are good for gamers, bad for everyone else.
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by capn qwerty on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:28 am

And very bad for gamers if they get caught.
capn qwerty
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:54 am

Arg gr gr gr gr

You can do what you want because a pirate is free

YOU ARE A PIRATE

^_^

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7565
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://www.thecrimsonflame.com

Back to top Go down

Post by capn qwerty on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:55 am

So is jail time.
capn qwerty
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:03 am

People who pirate games really sicken me. They are contributing to the downfall of PC gaming, and they are showing no respect for the industry which they owe so much to.

I have never pirated a single game. Those who have should be ashamed. I don't care if you "only pirate bad games." Those crappy games are what gives the industry the money to spend on good ones.
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:30 am

ReconToaster wrote:People who pirate games really sicken me.

Like my dumbass bro! Very Happy
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 am

Only a handful of people have gotten in trouble for pirating, so I'm not exactly worried about that.

The way I see it, I'm not going to buy the games that I might pirate. Pirating is also not technically stealing, because I'm just downloading something, I'm not taking it away from someone.

YOU ARE A PIRATE

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1527
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Pirating is also not technically stealing, because I'm just downloading something, I'm not taking it away from someone.

You are gaining access to creative property without paying its creator. It is stealing.

O
nly a handful of people have gotten in trouble for pirating, so I'm not exactly worried about that.

soooo... because you don't get caught it's ok to do? Have a little honor and respect dud.
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Get the fuck on xfire toaster.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

View user profile http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:37 pm

Piracy is bad.

People deserve to keep their oil tankers.

and besides... NINJAS > PIRATES

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:42 pm

Lies!

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:52 pm

i am with dud all the way

i have to admit

i am a pirate and download games
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:01 pm

I downloaded some old ass games like

Black&White2
ResidentEvil1

Now tell me, you guys ever see these games at your local game store for me to pick up?

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:05 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Pirating is also not technically stealing, because I'm just downloading something, I'm not taking it away from someone.

You are gaining access to creative property without paying its creator. It is stealing.
If that is how you define stealing. To me, taking a person's game is stealing. Going to a store and shop lifting is stealing. The difference is that
1.I am not taking the game or a copy of the game away from them. They have lost nothing.
2.I pirate items which I will not buy. Therefore, just because I have it without paying them for it, doesn't necessarily mean I'm taking away their money.
Only a handful of people have gotten in trouble for pirating, so I'm not exactly worried about that.

soooo... because you don't get caught it's ok to do? Have a little honor and respect dud.
Where exactly did I indicate that it is ok because I won't get caught? I was talking in reference to Qwerty's comment, simply stating that getting caught isn't really a deciding factor for me.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:16 pm

If it's an old game and is not being sold, I really don't have a problem with it. Though I do think that putting a free DL for a new game like Red Alert 3 up on the internet is wrong.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by LeafyOwNu2 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:19 pm

There is no doubt that since the opening of the internet countless crimes, also known as cyber crime, have been introduced. Among these crimes is internet piracy where one person will add content, such as music, onto a third party file sharing software, where that content would normally cost money. Then an average user may download this music free of charge. The appeal is understandable, getting as much music as you want, fast, easy, and also free of charge is what every teenager dreams of. While the pirates see nothing wrong with this action, record companies do. These companies have stated that the amount of compact discs being sold has reduced considerably and has resorted to suing young children for ridiculous sums of money to try and make up for the losses. The real question to answer is whether or not getting convenient, unrestricted and free music really has a considerable impact on the record companies’ monetary gain. One also has to question their morality as well. Is it right to take something for free that other people have to pay for?

The first thing one would have to understand is why people pirate music. To be honest there are many different reasons why one would decide to commit piracy instead of honestly attaining said music. Mainly the consumers want to see if the music is worth getting, and a thirty second sample does not give one an accurate portrayal of the content. By sharing the music people are performing what is known as word of mouth and that is what makes music so popular. If one stops kids from sharing music they have shut down the machine which makes songs so trendy (Card 3). The laws that have been created today make it close to impossible to share music with anyone. It is a crime for someone to burn a copy of a purchased music album for a friend (Maier 2). If everyone follows this law then music will not spread as rapidly and record companies will see larger declines in sales than they would have from pirating. This action will hurt them more than it will help.

Another thing one has to consider is whether or not the record companies are actually losing any money. In reality they have more money than when they started so they did not lose any money. They have gained all the profit they possibly could from the amount of discs they have produced. When one buys an album and then shares it with a friend, the record company still receives their profit for that product. In comparison if someone visits a music store and physically steals an album, the record companies would then have lost the opportunity to sell that album and also would have lost money because there was no payment for the album they spent money creating. One could argue that only one person can buy an album and then everyone else can get copies of that album, keeping the record companies from gaining money. This is a problem because the record company only makes profit on that one disk. The only issue with that argument is the fact that pirating music is not the only way people attain the content (Card 3). One also needs to realize that the people who pirate this music would never buy the songs in the first place. If one offers something to another person for free he or she would normally accept it no matter how good or bad it is. When you actually make one pay for the content they become more selective. It turns into a completely different story when that factor is added. One also needs to reflect on the fact that people pirate to get much more music than they could possibly afford in the first place (Card 4). So even if a pirate wants to buy his or her music he or she could not possibly afford it.

The companies want everyone to stop pirating and start buying, but they are not helping themselves in this endeavor. They are pretty much teaching their customers how to hate them. They are prosecuting young children for ridiculous amounts of money and they are ripping off their artist by taking the majority of the money their albums make. Who wants to support a company who treats their clients and potential customers like this? We are not talking about murder here, or child molestation, or even speeding on the highway. No one’s life is put at risk. In all likelihood, nobody is really losing any money that they would have earned anyway. So just what kind of punishment is really deserved (Card 4)? The record companies think that 150,000 dollars per pirated song is a fair punishment. However people who do pirate normally pirate large amounts, so one person with approximately five hundred songs located on his or her computer would have a lawsuit of 75,000,000 dollars on his or her hands. Someone who commits third degree murder will not see a lawsuit for that amount of money. The one action that tops the cake is the fact that they are suing young children who have no idea they are committing a crime. “The Justice Department has bigger fish to fry … They aren’t interested in going after children.” Boston copyright attorney Deborah Peckham explains (qtd. In Maier 2).

It is no secret that the record companies completely over exaggerate the statistics when it comes to their loss in sales. They claim sales are plummeting downward when in reality they are very insignificant drops. From the years of 2002 to 2003 there was a loss of one percent. This is the major loss the record companies are complaining about (Maier 2). These companies are also failing to account for the people replacing their previous collections with compact discs. When these discs first came out people where having to repurchase the music they already had on cassette or vinyl records. Now that people have already replaced them all, the record companies are no longer seeing that initial wave of profit. The record companies are using pirating as a scapegoat to explain their loss in sales. These companies have changed dramatically since the 1900’s. They are more interested in one hit singles compared to building up artists. They only want to make as much profit as possible, for as little money as possible. If these companies produce more substantial music and pay the artists more money then they would be better in the long term. One would want to buy albums instead of individual songs and have artists they want to support by purchasing their albums. At the moment people see buying albums as a waste of money because they only like one or two songs and the artist will see little to none of the money one has paid for that album.

The reason people do not feel bad about pirating is because they do not feel like they are exploiting anyone. They are getting their music and the companies are still getting their profit. The record companies are technically not losing any money, just potential profit. The artist may never have seen the money in the first place, so why should one feel bad? The effects of pirating are affecting companies in minor ways, but their actions against it are affecting them greatly. They are punishing little kids, and then trying to sell to them. They are exploiting their consumer’s favorite artists and this makes one ponder whether or not to support the companies. Utah Senator Orrin Hatch supports a plan which would seed MP3-sharing servers with computer-destroying viruses. This causes people to lose even more support for the companies. Is punishment without due-cause really the answer for which these companies are looking for (Card 5)?

The companies do not want to see alternatives, they just want to sell as much product as they can and make as much profit as possible. They are all about the money, which is why they have decided to support one-hit singles instead of building up artists. People have pirated before and companies did not make a federal case of it then. Before however, they were not losing as much potential profit. Now that they see they could be making millions of dollars they are going through extreme lengths to try to get people to stop, which in turn is only pushing people to pirate even more. Are lawsuits and computer-destroying viruses really the best course of action? The record companies need to rethink their strategies if they truly want people to stop the illegal sharing of music.

I wrote a research paper for it at school. I got a 100 on it Razz.

Also, my internet provider has become extremely strict when it comes to pirating. They send my dad a warning message because they found a movie I downloaded. So now I am not taking any chances and I'm going to buy stuff legally. (I really only pirated music, that movie was a one time thing, and go figure they found it).

Anyway, to my point, is Amazon the best place to buy your music online?
LeafyOwNu2
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:26 pm

2.I pirate items which I will not buy. Therefore, just because I have it without paying them for it, doesn't necessarily mean I'm taking away their money.

They still see that statistic dud. They see that their game has been pirated and so the run and hide, clinging to consoles.

World of goo was released on pc. It was a pretty small game. The developers decided to trust in the community and release it with no DRM. The game cost ten dollars.

90% of "world of goo" downloads were pirated. I'm sure many of those people who pirated it never would have downloaded it if it was not for free, but they helped to create that statistic, and now that developer probably will not release their games on pc.
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:10 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:I downloaded some old ass games like

Black&White2
ResidentEvil1

Now tell me, you guys ever see these games at your local game store for me to pick up?

Yes actually.

I own Black&White2. Razz
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4571

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I downloaded some old ass games like

Black&White2
ResidentEvil1

No, but I see them here

http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-PC/dp/B0008ELZB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1229831638&sr=8-2

and here

http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-2-Pc/dp/B0007GBBHI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1229831680&sr=8-1
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:09 pm

could pay for the game, shipping and handling, go through the bullshit of creating an account and setting up my credit card, waiting weeks for the game to be delivered

OR

Download it and install

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:23 pm

could pay for the game, shipping and handling, go through the bullshit of creating an account and setting up my credit card, waiting weeks for the game to be delivered

OR

Download it and install

It's called delayed gratification.
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Its called instant gratification, and its better to get a shitty old game now for free that I probably won't even keep for more than a month then to wait weeks for it.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:08 pm

Was gonna post my research paper like leafy but its top big and being on my blackberry I can't really cut it up easily.
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top